Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ελλάδα
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been asked before but..

What is the real danger of using relaods in a Glock 21 as long as they aren't hot, lead, and are properly reloaded?

Was this just a warning because people were using neglected reloaded ammunition, or is it unsafe no matter how carefully the relads were made?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does it say you can't use them in the manual (I don't own one...)? I'm fairly certain most manufacturers will tell you that. It's a liability if they say it's OK, because when you blow your arm off with a real hot load, you can sue them because they said it's OK.

That being said it's OK to use them...it won't hurt anything and i've seen Glocks (and other guns) handle double charges without much harm. Just don't expect warranty repair if a reload gives gives you two Glocks instead of one.

·
Ελλάδα
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it say you can't use them in the manual (I don't own one...)? I'm fairly certain most manufacturers will tell you that. It's a liability if they say it's OK, because when you blow your arm off with a real hot load, you can sue them because they said it's OK.

That being said it's OK to use them...it won't hurt anything and i've seen Glocks (and other guns) handle double charges without much harm. Just don't expect warranty repair if a reload gives gives you two Glocks instead of one.
Yeah, i know your not supposed to use lead bullets in the stock barrel.. and the manual does say that you're not supposed to use reloads.. but iv'e read stories about Glocks blowing up from normal reloaded ammo.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've shot reloads in Glocks, .40 and .45, for years with no problems. If you shoot lead you need to be particularly careful to clean the barrel perfectly to avoid lead buildup and increased pressures that could result, but I've shot a lot of lead through the .45's. You could also get an after market barrel for lead bullets if it worries you.

My experiences aren't unique, post the question in reloading and you'll get the same testimony from many others.

Being only partially supported, I limit the number of times I reload a case for Glocks. I think I might avoid reloading for 10mm Glocks altogether though.

·
Ελλάδα
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've shot reloads in Glocks, .40 and .45, for years with no problems. If you shoot lead you need to be particularly careful to clean the barrel perfectly to avoid lead buildup and increased pressures that could result, but I've shot a lot of lead through the .45's. You could also get an after market barrel for lead bullets if it worries you.

My experiences aren't unique, post the question in reloading and you'll get the same testimony from many others.

Being only partially supported, I limit the number of times I reload a case for Glocks. I think I might avoid reloading for 10mm Glocks altogether though.

Oh really, what is the difference with 10mm reloads on Glocks?

·
Banned
2,504 Posts
I put more more than 30 pounds of Viht N330 through a Glock in the late 90s and about 15 pounds of AA No7, a couple pounds of Winchester 571 (HS-7) and a few pounds of various other powders. This was from a G17L and the loads were warm but within the limits of CIP max loads (SAAMI is for sissies).

All loads were 7.0 grains or less that gave me 1000+ rounds per pound. Keep it smart and you will be safe.............

·
Registered
426 Posts
Oh really, what is the difference with 10mm reloads on Glocks?
Pressure and the semi supported case and brass fatigue during resizing lowering it's ability to handle the combination.

A somewhat weakened case will not handle 10mm pressures as well as a new case and the risk of a blow out is increased. (a blown case can be a highly unpleasant event, did it once with a 9mm and don't care to repeat the experience.)

This is, of course, speculation since I don't reload 10mm or own a 10mm glock, but 10mm is a highly potent round.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
My Glock 21 has yet to see a factory round, and does just great with all my standard handloads...

with 230 fmj at 1.25" OAL, I use 5.1 gr of 231 (740 fps)
with 200 gr RNFP (1.22" OAL), 5.8 gr of 231 (830 fos)

No noted case expansion in my GLock barrel

·
Pistolero
6,150 Posts
I have never shot even one reload in my entire life and I never will. Too may variables to go wrong, in my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts