Using old bicycle inner tubes

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by bdcochran, Oct 28, 2017.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran

Went to the bike store yesterday. Picked up free used bicycle inner tubes. One is being chopped up for ranger bands.

At my age, I have had both shoulders worked on. Doing my daily hour work out did not prevent some left shoulder discomfort this week. (Back story, the woman was larger than I and pulled on my arm in west coast swing when she should have advanced. She ripped and destroyed my shoulder, requiring bone removal. ). I am rightfully afraid of medical stretch bands. Not only do they break, they spontaneously decompose just sitting there. A butyl rubber inner tube isn't going to break.

I worked out with inner tubes yesterday. Over the next week, I will lurk on youtube to learn how the inner tubes can be used to exercise other parts of the body.

2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Maybe latex tubing? I like it, use it for my left shoulder.

3. F350

F350

I thought this was going to be about more fun things; not that I have any personal knowledge, but I have heard bicycle inner tubes can be used for making a giant slingshot for lobbing large pipe bombs long distances.

4. Speleothem

Speleothem

I stretch a speargun band.

5. bdcochran

bdcochran

Went to Kaiser physical therapy at beginning of January. Given 4 more exercises to do with bike inner tube. $40 visit and worth every penny. Problems resolved in less than a week. Sometimes a specific exercise is needed. Just added them to my daily routine. Only adds 4 minutes!

6. bdcochran

bdcochran

Still another update. I was at Kaiser again this last week. Of course, I am on the downhill slope. Given still more exercises (I try to get to the pool for an hour a day and then about 1 1/2 hours of exercises at home). Both shoulders have partial rotator cuff tears. Given more exercises using a bike inner tube. If you use the red/black/green commercial bands, they rot when not used and can break at the wrong time when exercising. The literature indicates it will take 2-3 months to correct the partial tears.

7. bdcochran

bdcochran

Update - left shoulder is now perfect. If not a total tear, the literature says it take 4-6 months to recover. The right shoulder is at least 85% better. You can tear your rotator cuff very easily - like a friend completely tore one by simply lifting a suitcase.

I think that I should be all healed in another month.