Glock Talk banner

Using N340 to load for my new G22

1085 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  FGWinFLA
Gentlemen (and ladies if applicable),
I just got a G22 / .40 S&W about a week ago. I started right off with Power Pistol since I have a higher familiarity with it. A few days later I found N340 on sale so being somewhat OCD I grabbed 8lbs of it.
Now,
Using 165gr X-Treme bullets, I see where:
Mr. Lyman says - 5.5gr to 6.1gr
Mr. Vihta Vuori says - 6.3 to 6.6gr.

Typically, I like to load training ammo to feel like carry ammo. I like it a little snappy. A little on the spunky side.
For general plinkage and for training my 11yr old granddaughter, I try to load with a lighter recoil.

I notice at 5.9 / 6.0gr it feels pretty stout, real snappy. I'm concerned going near that 6.3 number or higher. Concern being excess recoil beating up my new toy and my right wrist.

Does this sound typical for this set up?
What loads are you guys using with this combination?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Who me?
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm familiar with the routine. I'm not familiar with the N340 I;m using and based on past experience with the Lyman book, it tends to be rather "conservative" with pistol loads.
I recall a few years ago using the lowest load for 9mm as a start point & it wasn't hot enough to allow the G17 to cycle properly.

I find with Lyman I end up at max or slightly over the max load for best results.
In this case (with .40cal) I'm feeling a pretty stout recoil at the lower end of the spectrum (according to Lyman).
The VV load data goes right past Lyman max by .5gr.
I guess to summarize my question: is it typical for the G22 / .40S&W feel pretty stout in recoil with low end loads?

Maybe I'm just overly used to my 9mm guns...

· Señor Mombo
2,912 Posts
You'll really have to work up your load. I would suggest .2-.3 grain increments starting with the lowest, starting load that is published.

340 is a (relatively) slow burning powder. One characteristic of VV powder is that you'll get unburned grains if your load is below pressure.

You're on your own to observe pressure signs. You haven't said anything about the condition of the primer after firing the load. That is your first clue about the intensity of the load and whether to go hotter, or not.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
A chronograph and a 0"-1" micrometer are your best friends when working up loads. Mic your fired cases just in front if the case head. Use a few fired factory load cases as your standard. I consider .001 case head expansion my stopping point. When I see that I back off a couple tenths, and call that max. I've always seen case head expansion before primer flow. The chrono will allow you to watch for linearity with charge increases to velocity gains. These are both better indicators of overpressure than trying to read primers.

· Who me?
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your responses.
Maybe I'm just a little leary loading for a new pistol caliber. I did the same thing when I started loading for my 300win mag after loading for 30.06 for several years. Going from 54gr of powder to 75gr felt a little "strange". The blast & recoil from the 300 felt like a 102 Howitzer & took a little time to get used to it.

I guess I'll run my usual procedure. As some of y'all mentioned, start at the very bottom, work 'em up .2 - .3gr at a time and keep an eyeball on the primers.
Speaking of primers, loads fired did not show any unusual signs.

Thanks for the input.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
There was a time when VV load data was highly suspect, 40S&W being one of the worst examples. VV corrected that quite a while ago and in my recent experience I would say they range from pretty accurate to being laughably conservative (off on the low side, like N105 in heavy bullet 10mm).

I have not loaded a ton of VV in 40S&W and that which I have has been N350 and 3N37 (no N340), but those seemed to be pretty close to my results. I seriously doubt you are going to break anything loading to VV's current max charges. I can't opine intelligently on the relative wear factor of given loads other than to say lighter will be less wear. N340 is probably too slow for target light loads.

Good luck.

· Registered
10 Posts
My pistol is a G20 with a LWD stock length 40SW conversion barrel and 13lb recoil spring. I use it as a Limited gun in USPSA.
6.0 GR of N340 with a 165GR BBI bullet at 1.130 OAL. Ten shot average for this load is 1040 FPS.
The G20 slide is heavier than a G22 slide so that probably affects my perception of 'snappiness'. The gun is not snappy to me with the 6.0GR load.
I need to add about 0.2GR more powder when using an Xtreme 165GR RNFP to get the same velocity with my gun with same OAL.
I have gone down as far as 5.0GR of N340 with the 165GR BBI bullet to develop a lighter recoiling steel/3-gun load and the gun still cycles reliably. The muzzle flip is slighty less and it is a little easier to shoot faster with accuracy. I have not run the 5.0GR load over a chronograph.
If you want a lighter recoiling load with the 165 Xtremes, try a few at 5.0 - 5.2GR of N340 and see if they work.

· Who me?
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Willy & 196 -
Good info. Thanks.
Much of what y'all just mentioned clears up some of the mystery for me.

I do have other powders on hand.
If you had a choice, what would you pick out of these?
W231
Bullseye
Power Pistol
A2400
Just curious. I need to burn up all the N340 first although it does work in my G17 & G19 quite well.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
Willy & 196 -
Good info. Thanks.
Much of what y'all just mentioned clears up some of the mystery for me.

I do have other powders on hand.
If you had a choice, what would you pick out of these?
W231
Bullseye
Power Pistol
A2400
Just curious. I need to burn up all the N340 first although it does work in my G17 & G19 quite well.

It depends on what you want to achieve velocity wise.

N340 is not my favorite powder in their line, but there are a couple of other very experienced guys that frequent this forum who use it almost exclusively and seem to love it, so some of that I reckon is me.

I think for the purpose you outlined (service style loads), N340 and Power Pistol will work pretty well. N340 will probably deliver a little less pyrotechnics. W231 is a solid middle of the road choice and Bullseye while being able to deliver upper middle of the road results, will also download pretty well. I think 2400 might prove to be a tad slow and bulky for 40S&W but I have never tried it. I used it some in 10mm with 180gr jacketed and while not a top velocity performer, delivered great accuracy and upper mid range velocities.

The N340 should work well, which is good given you have 8lbs. ;)

· Who me?
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back from a day of shooting out at the swamp. My granddaughter continues her training / practice by blowing thru another 275 rounds of 9mm.
(<-- kid in photo)

I spent the day shooting my new G22. It took some getting used and after an hour or so it was quite a pleasure to shoot.
Based on today's events I think the low end loads of N340 did very well. Manageable recoil and reasonably accurate for my purposes.
We have an area set up with a dozen steel plates (6", 8" & 10") and I marked off 7yds, 10yds & 15yds.
No problem ringing the 8's & 10's at 30ft.

I reckon I'll experiment with going a wee bit hotter.
Funny thing, after shooting 60 - 70 rounds of .40cal, my G17 feels like a 22LR.

Thanks for all your input.
I gotta go sort & clean brass now....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.