close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Using frame/barrel after house fire

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by LongGoneDays, Mar 1, 2012.

1. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

You guys think there is anything saveable? I'm positive the frame is completely gone and pretty sure I'll never find it...
    but I'm just wondering if maybe one day just for the heck of it sending it in to Glock and having them put on a new frame.

I probably wouldn't try doing this myself but would there be any internal parts on the slide that would be FUBAR as well?

There was a round in the chamber and 9 or 10 in the magazine, they were definitely going off during the fire so it might be blown all to hell and back.

2. NCHeel

NCHeel

The striker channel liner is plastic and there is a plastic piece on the striker. Probably could send everything that you find to GLOCK with a story and see if they will trade or something. I wouldn't reuse any of the parts. You could keep it yourself as a conversation piece.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

3. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Sorry to hear about the fire. Not sure I'd be willing to use anything that was in the fire.

4. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Your Glock melt would be useless, the bbl brittle after excessive heating in the fire, getting the melt out of it would be kinda hard to do too and not worth it, same for the slide.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

Sory about the fire. My guess also is that the temper and/or strength of any metal parts would be compromised.

6. fireGLOCKfighter

fireGLOCKfighter

House fires can get up to 1200+ degrees Fahrenheit.

So no.

7. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Sorry you're having troubles. If the fire got hot enough for the rounds to start popping off, it probably damaged the gun somehow. But it only takes what, in the neighborhood of 400 degrees Fahrenheit to cook a round off? Regardless, if I read correctly, the rounds were going off inside the mag, inside the gun. That almost surely means the frame will be damaged. Good luck finding it.

8. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Thanks for the replies, pretty much what I figured.

I'm sure the frame is melted. It was a relative's trailer house and the bedroom I was in was right next to an outside structure that caught the home on fire. Some stuff jewelery has been found in the opposite end of the trailer, but the room I was in is gutted.

Had the damn thing in my hand 5 seconds before I ran out the door too, wearing shorts and no belt. Didn't have enough hands for dogs and the gun too so I guess I dropped it where I was standing.

Oh well. Everyone made it out so I'm not the least bit bitter about it.

9. Keyhole

Keyhole

It's terrible that happened and I've got to agree with Bruce and others.