close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Using Ed's Red to clean a Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by shepsan, Sep 2, 2004.

1. shepsan

shepsan

A number of years ago, I read an post on another gun forum about Ed's Red gun cleaner. I began using it then and have continued to do so with my 1911's and revolvers. It works great and has not inflicted any problems on my guns.

I now own a Glock 21 and question if I can use Ed's Red to clean it.
    One of the ingredients in Ed's Red is acetone. Will the acetone (which is diluted among the various other chemicals) injure the Glock?

2. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

Acetone won't hurt it. Ed's Red is too slick at 25% ATF to clean barrels well. Try reducing the ATF to ~ 10% of the total recipe.

I add equal parts Xylene and Naptha (white gas/camping fuel). This works much better than Ed's red basic recipe.

Example: 1 pint each except 4-5 ounces of ATF.

3. Apiarian

Apiarian

OK, I'll bite. What is the recipe for Ed's Red?

4. shepsan

shepsan

Apiarian, I have read a number of variations on the ingredients contained in Ed's Red. The following is the one I formulated to clean and lubricate my 1911 pistols. I have indicated brands, costs and dealers where I purchased the fluids:

ED’S RED CLEAN-UP and ED’S RED GUNOIL

Ingredients Needed:

1. Lubricant (Dexron III automatic transmission fluid) Valvoline: ATF 1 Qt $1.99 Ace Hardware

2. Solvent and Light Lubricant Kerosine: Sunnyside Kerosene 1 Qt $2.69 True Value

3. Oil Thinner, Metal Cleaner and Lubricant Odorless Mineral Spirits (aliphatic mineral spirits, which is a petroleum based "safety solvent" used for thinning oil based paints and as automotive parts cleaner).

4. Acetone Thinner, Cleaner and Remover Kleen-Strip 1 Qt. $3.97 Lowes

To make any size container, mix one equal part each as follows:

Note: MIX OUTDOORS IN GOOD VENTILATION

Chose a clean glass, metal or chemical resistant heavy gage PET or PVC plastic receptacle to use as a master mix-container. NFPA approved plastic gasoline storage containers are also OK. DO NOT USE HDPE PLASTIC. The Acetone will eat through HDPE plastic.

NOTE: Always mix In equal portions

---------------------------------------------------------------------

GUN OIL

1. Add the ATF first.
    2. Add the Kerosine second.

Mix the two ingredients well.

Label: ED’S RED GUNOIL. Use ED’S RED GUNOIL mixture as a gun oil. It is to be applied after the cleaning of a pistol is completed and before reassembly of the pistol.

ED’S RED CLEAN-UP

Mix each ingredient with the preceding one before adding the following one.

3. Add the ATF first.

4. Add the Kerosine second.

5. Add Mineral Spirits third.

6. Add Acetone fourth.

Mix all four ingredient well .

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    HOW TO USE ED’S RED CLEAN-UP and ED’S RED GUNOIL CLEAN-UP TO CLEAN and LUBRICATE PISTOLS:

1. Rack slide of pistol and lock in open position and make sure no ammunition in chamber.

2. Release and drop magazine from pistol.

3. Visually check again to make sure no ammunition in pistol.

4. Field-strip the pistol.

5. Saturate a patch with ED’S RED CLEAN-UP, wrap or impale on jag or rod and push it through the bore from breech to muzzle. The patch should be a snug fit. Do not pull this first patch back into the bore. Instead, let this first patch fall off of muzzle end of barrel.

5. Wet a second patch with ED’S RED CLEAN-UP, and similarly start it into the bore from the breech, this time scrubbing from the throat area forward in 4 5" strokes and gradually advancing until the patch emerges out the muzzle. Wait approximately1 minute. This allows ED’S CLEAN-UP to soak in bore. This will improve its action.

7. For pitted, heavily carbon fouled "rattle battle" guns or neglected bores a bronze brush wet with ED’S RED CLEAN-UP should be used to remove stubborn deposits. This is unnecessary for smooth, target grade barrels in routine use.

8. Use a final wet patch of ED’S RED CLEAN-UP pushed straight through the bore to flush out loosened residue. Let the patch fall off the jag without pulling it back into the bore.

9. Inspect the patch and the bore. If patch still dirty and/or bore not completely clean, repeat step 8 until patch comes out clean and bore is completely clear of residue or fouling.

10. Run dry patch through bore until thoroughly dry unless gun is going to be unused for long period of time. If this is the case, run ED’S RED CLEAN-UP and leave wet in bore for storage protection.

Before reassembling pistol, lubricate necessary parts with ED’S REDS GUNOIL.

11. Reassemble pistol.

12. Rack slide numerous times and check slide stop and safeties to insure that they operate properly.

END ED'S RED INFO

I also use this mixture to clean my revolvers and long guns.

My question about using this mixture to clean my G21 is my concern that acetone might damage the G21. Email responses to my query are 5 to 1 in favor of using this mixture.

My experience using it on my guns has been positive. They really are clean and properly lubed. The costs involved are quite low considering the amount of cleaner and lube one gets from making Ed's Red.

Good luck.

5. Apiarian

Apiarian

Thanks for the detailed explanation and recipe.
    Ed's Red Clean-up looks and sounds like it would do a good job at a reasonable cost. I've been using Super Slick Stuff for a lubricant for about two years now. I got the recipe from someone on Glock Talk.