close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

User Accounts WinXP Home

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mr. PC, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Mr. PC

Mr. PC

So I password protected the Admin/owner/me. I created one Limited account and activated the Guest account. I was able to pull up a browser IE6 in the limited account and surf the net. But there is no internet connection for mail? Can I copy the current connection? How do I share the 5000 family pics on the Limited account?

2. Darkmage

Darkmage

When you created the other accounts, WinXP set up different directories for each one. Your email probably resides in the Admin folder, which you cannot access from the Limited and Guest accounts.

To fix this, I believe you need to log in as administrator, find the email file and place it in the All Users folder. That will let the Guest and Limited accounts see it. Just to be sure, if you right-click on that file, you should be able to choose an option called "Set program access and defaults" which will allow you to grant access to the Limited account to that file.

Then you should log off and then back in as the Limited user. Point your email program at the file and let it access your email.

And as a rule, I disable the guest account on my machines. I never have guests and I am leery of letting people poke around my computer anonymously.

3. malkore

malkore

I too would not enable the guest account unless you have a real good, specific reason, for doing so.

XP has a 'shared documents' feature...not sure how it works because I just setup network shares for the stuff I wanna share on my domain at home.