Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, you just have to have had COVID-19

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/coronavirus-us-military-guidance

Uhm...why? Is it due to permanent lung damage? Or is there other systemic, perhaps long term damage caused by the disease of which the military has been made aware, and we have not?

Apparently, you can get a waiver. Maybe. I have no idea what that involves.

Are there other commonly contracted illnesses which will be permanently disqualifying? Is this a routine thing? Or is COVID - 19 being singled out? Because if 40 -70% of the US population gets it, that's a lot of people precluded from ever joining the military. And those of high school and college age who are thinking about serviing, maybe they need to make other plans.

I don't know if this is a big deal or not. Perhaps some active duty members or vets can enlighten us as the significance of this.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not just COVID-19.

Standards of Medical Fitness
https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/ARN8673_AR40_501_FINAL_WEB.pdf

Didn't you watch Captain America?

Ha ha. No, I get that. There are a gazillion things that can disqualify someone. The military is very specific about them.
I have a couple myself. I was wondering what it was about having had COVID - 19 in the past that would cause an applicant to be disqualified.

Or does the applicant who had COVID only (ha!) need demonstrate that the disease did not cause him to suffer some injury or condition that itself would be disqualifying?

·
NRA Life Member
66,528 Posts
Or does the applicant who had COVID only (ha!) need demonstrate that the disease did not cause him to suffer some injury or condition that itself would be disqualifying?
According to what I read yesterday, they don't yet have guidelines that would allow a waiver. A broken arm when you were 12 disqualifies you, unless you get a waiver. All sorts of things - those parents who put their 8-year-old on ADHD medicine have just disqualified him. Lasik? No go. Breast enhancement? No go, but your recruiter will fight extra hard to help get your waiver.

Reactions: Deltic
1 - 4 of 4 Posts