used patrol g 23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kooman, Jan 31, 2010.

1. kooman

kooman

guys i am debating on buying a gen 2 g 23 state patrol gun with the state patrol markings on the slide, is there any good reasons not to buy this gun? the gun was well cared for. thanks

2. mad618

mad618

if the price is right I'd say go for it. I've got a gen 2 g23 that was a maryland police trade in and it shoots just fine, mine doesn't have any police dept markings in the slide though, but that wouldn't stop me from
    buying one

3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

If the price is right and she looks good internally... buy it.

4. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

I've got one of these also, been great so far. I dont like the heavy trigger on the Maryland Police trade, though. Easy fix, I have the parts ordered.

One of my best shooters is a local Sheriff dept trade in G17. Electric pencil marked on receiver looks kinda bad, but doesnt bother me. I own quite a few police trade ins, of all types, including a 870 and S&W shotgun. They are all great shooters, with very little wear from shooting, and varying wear from carry. Some of the best deals out there, IMHO.

There are collectors out there that specialize in Police trade-ins, and in a few instances, a unusual dept. marking may INCREASE the guns value.

5. robertwh

robertwh

I have owned a 23 since just before Christmas! I love it! If it is reasonably priced you should buy it! The 23 is a nice shooting power house. :supergrin:

6. pmj

pmj

I think it depends - first and foremost - on the guns' condition, which you said was well cared for, so that shouldn't be a problem. Most LE guns get more wear from being carried and cleaned (I use the word "cleaned" a bit loosely from my personal experience of seeing co-workers weapons) than from being fired. If your local SHP has a motorcycle unit, their guns can get a little more dirt and crud build-up due to exposure to the elements while riding the bike.

Next would be a price comparison for the used SHP weapon vs. pricing on new/used pistols of the same make/model in your area and availability of the same type pistol.

Then, what is the importance, or value you place on having a weapon with those markings (a personal thing) or do the SHP markings have added vaue in your area. For example on the personal level - do you want it because it has those markings; was it issued to a personal friend; etc. Intrinsic value - increased because it is a former LE weapon.

At one time here in North Carolina, any issued or commemorative weapon we got, was in high demand by some members of the public. Don't think it's quite as high now.

Again - condition, price and any added value of being a former LE gun would be my advice on things to consider.

Good luck and best regards,

Phil

7. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Depends on the price. $300 tops ans $275 if it's rough.

8. kooman

kooman

thanks guys for all the input, as i stated the condition is very good with little holster wear, the gun is a nebraska state patrol gun with a very nice looking laser etched logo on it. My main concern would be the ability to re-sell it IF ever needed, thought maybe people would shy away from buying it because of being a police trade in. i think i will go make an offer on it.

9. ssgrock3

ssgrock3

Haven't seen those kind of prices in a few years. I got to get to AR more often.

The last election has folks spending way too much money on guns that really sell for what you suggested. It ain't like there isn't Millions of LE glocks on the used market.

10. kooman

kooman

well that wont happen, around here new glocks go for 525 on the cheap side, used glocks just dont show up very often and i have never seen one for less than 375. usually 400-425 for used glocks when you can find them. i know alot of you talk about the 300 dollar glock but they just dont exist where i live, it sucks!

11. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

mate, its not a hi-point.

:upeyes:

12. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

I've seen used duty G23s a lot lately. Cabelas had a bunch of them and so did the last gun show i went to. $350-389 is what you can expect to pay. I think even on-line retailers are selling these right now for the same price range.

13. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

It sounds fine. Law enforcement usually shoot quite a bit these days, unlike decades past. It's all about the condition of the specific gun you're looking at. I have a lot of rounds through my duty weapons, but they're still good as new, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a weapon in the same condition.

14. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Police trade in Beretta were going for $250 last time my gun store had them. New Glocks without night sights go for $495, so a 2nd Gen police trade in isn't gonna get more than $300 from me. Those trade ins aren't your usual used gun.

15. RBL525

RBL525

Where are you at? I am in Omaha, and Glock prices are high. Thank god I get the Blue Label price.

16. kooman

kooman

i am 60 miles south of omaha and gun prices in general are nuts, i remember the days of going to scheels or cabelas to get a good deal on guns but now the local shops are cheaper, i called scheels a few months ago to get price on a g36 with night sights and about fell out of the chair when the guy said 650, (no thats not a typo)

17. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Localy I can get a G36 with nightsites for 599-542 for fixed

Used G23's run 375-425

18. RBL525

RBL525

Scheels, is way overpriced. I just got back from looking at Cabellas. They were really High too. They had used ones at new Glock prices, and new ones at just under 600 and that was with normal sights.

I buy all mine at the Bullet Hole. They are also the only ones that have blue label in the area. http://thebh.com/index.php

I wouldn't recommend buying anything but the guns there though. Everything else seems slightly to way over priced.

19. den888

den888

Why not buy it, if it's in good shape ?

20. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

No. He's accurate. The time I've seen and picke up turned in service pistols, the max I've seen is 350.00 for a pristine firearm. There are two local shops that take in the police trades. The officer has right of first refusal, then it's for sale. It helps a lot if you know the shopowner.