close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

used Glock 22's

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by chrisw, Jan 25, 2010.

1. chrisw

chrisw

Feel free to correct my statement here, but it seems that the glock 22 is the most widely issued sidearm to police officers in this country. It deserves the job as it is arguably one of the most reliable sidearms ever made in the very effective caliber of .40 s&w with a tremendous magazine capacity of 15 rounds all at a somewhat affordable price. All of the positives of this gun could make it the ultimate weapon to have for self defense if concealability was not an issue. I search many of the gunbroker listings frequently to further acquaint myself with the prices of used guns. I have recently noticed that there are more glock 22's on gunbroker than any other gun. They are very frequently being listed and not sold due to the reserve not being met. i have watched 22's be listed and sold from the high 200's to low 300's often. I have decided to follow them on gunbroker for a little while and see if I can come up with an average value, but it appears that the low 300s gets you a g22 thus far. factor in shipping and ffl fees and you are mid to high 300's for a great sidearm. summit has them from $330 as well for 2nd gens with night sights. I see people often looking for a good gun for short money and these seem to be a great option.

To everyone here that has either owned a g22 or bought one from gunbroker what experiences have you all had with them? Do you agree or disagree that the g22 is a valuable defensive weapon? Would it be effective as an end of the world shtf weapon? Do you agree that due to the number of these guns in existence that the used price is lower than other glocks? I have posted this in the gng lounge intentionally as I am comparing the g22 to all other sidearms and not just glocks. I have posted this on another forum and look forward to different opinions. Just looking for inputs.

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

What exactly is your question? HH

3. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

In Before The WFP {Wrong Forum Police}

4. holyjohnson

holyjohnson

:dunno:
    gonna take a shot at it.i bought a Glock 22 refurb off gunbroker from SUMMITGUNBROKERS.COM and could`nt be happier,Mark is a great seller to do business with.
    dunno how easy to find .40 will be in shtf.
    with the amount of 22`s produced parts can be found,or swap the barrel to a 9MM.
    its accurate.
    that all makes it a valuable defense weapon to me.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  5. rfenster

rfenster CLM

ok, I'll bite.

Yes, I have BOTH owned G22s and purchased one or more from Gunbroker. Imagine that..

My experience has led me to believe that a Glock 22 will go <bang> every time that I want it to.

A G22 is a valuable defensive weapon, and while it would be very useful in a hypothetical SHTF situation, it might be less usefull during the end of the world, depending on your religious beliefs.

With that said, I carry a G23 with a 13 round mag, but have 15 round magazines available if the local excrement does indeed hit the fan.

OP-Are you a professional writer by chance?

6. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

1) To everyone here that has either owned a g22 or bought one from gunbroker what experiences have you all had with them?

2) Do you agree or disagree that the g22 is a valuable defensive weapon?

3) Would it be effective as an end of the world shtf weapon?

4) Do you agree that due to the number of these guns in existence that the used price is lower than other glocks?

7. chrisw

chrisw

I am not a professional writer, but I will assume that from your question you mean to complement my writing so thank you. I actually thought that my thoughts were quite jumbled and inconsistent, but thank you anyway. I must say that I almost LOL'ed at the excrement comment you made. Thanks for your input.

Well summarized. Thanks!

8. blueiron

blueiron

I would answer, but it is in the wrong forum. :wavey:

9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

G22's are good reliable guns but for SHTF senario I would go with the 9X19mm G19/17.

10. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

I have never purchased a refurb or a used G22, but the one I bought new has well over 5K rounds through it and it still looks new, goes bang every time, and is very comfortable and accurate. So if your question is "Should I buy one?" I would say YES. Its my favorite sidearm period.

11. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

SHTF/TEOTWAWKI I'm carrying a 23 with a 9mm and .357 sig barrel tucked away in my go bag.

9mm may be the most plentiful but think about all the "battlefield pick-up" .40 that'll be laying around left over from the LEOs that didn't make it (sorry guys).

To answer TC's question: Yes I think a 22 would be a great SHTF weapon.

12. chrisw

chrisw

I like the idea of the different barrels. Might as well throw in a .22lr conversion while you're at it in terms of ammo availability.

13. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

Yeah thats what I'm considering now. I really want an AA kit I think.

14. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Carry a couple of 9mm magazines, too. The 9mm magazines have tighter feedlip gaps. Might never be a problem. Only has to be a problem ONCE when the fan is smelly and brown.

15. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

Yeah I've got a bunch of 17 mags laying around as well as a couple 33rders. I want to get some 19 mags so they are flush fitting with the 23.

16. Morris

Morris CLM

Understand that the police trade-in G22s you usually see with the big sellers are carried a lot in all kinds of nasty weather and conditions and sometimes poorly (as we would see it) cared for. However, they are often shot little, say less than 5K over their service life. And yes, the G22 remains THE predominate US LE handgun today although that is slowly altering to either other makers or to a different caliber.

The .40, for all of it's detractors and naysayers, has been doing a fine job and making dirt angels out of bad guys. In the US, the .40 is easy to find and nearly as common place as 9mm, simply because it is THE dominate LE caliber in the US. Finding ammo in that hypothetical SHTF situation will not be terribly hard to find (good luck finding any ammo in that sort of scenario).

The price is lower because there is a glut of fine weapons, especially older G22s, on the market thanks to Glock's fantastic trade-up program.

17. chrisw

chrisw

While i didn't want to be in the glock only forum, the gng lounge was the wrong forum and it should have been in the general firearms forum. Maybe a mod will come to the rescue here.

Morris- I have heard this before that even though they look like they have been through hell and back in some cases, they are relatively low on round counts and can be considered a reliable pistol.

18. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

The G22 is a fine pistol.

Don't know if it is any better or any worse than another handgun when it comes to these fanciful "end of society" scenarios, but you can defend yourself admirably with one in the real world.

A bargain $ just makes them better, in my opinion.

The price won't always be this low, as the market for used handguns seems to constantly be in flux.

19. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

While I like the idea, that adds about $100 to the total price...

If your goal is to shoot both 40 *and* 9mm, then that's a bargain - but if your goal is to get an inexpensive Glock to shoot 9mm with, then I don't think this is the best approach.

Just depends on what you're trying to do! :)

kestrou

20. aerod1

aerod1 NRA Life Member

I bought a G-22 police trade in a couple of years ago and it still functions great!!