Use to Glock reliability, which 1911 to buy?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SubSolar, Sep 24, 2007.

1. SubSolar

SubSolar Guest

I've only owned Glocks and love them, never had any jams or any problems. I've found that I prefer .45's so that's all I'm going to buy from now on. But after a G30 and G21 SF, looking to add variety to my collection. I rented a Springfield 1911 at the range yesterday and it was the most accurate gun I've ever fired. I'm looking to spend no more than $1,500 (preferrably under $1,000) for a new 1911. I really like the looks of the silver S&W 1911's but not sure if there's a better value for the same price. What is the most reliable 1911 in this price range?

2. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

My pick would be the Sprinfield TRP or Les Baer Premier II after a good break in. About three to five hundred rounds.

3. bac1023

bac1023

In that price range, go with the Springfield TRP. I just bought one and its outstanding. Its been perfect from the first shot and is a very high quality 1911. They list for $1707, but sell for $1200 to $1400 in shops.

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. fyrfytrcwd

fyrfytrcwd Guest

Another good choice could be a Springer Loaded. A little cheaper (under $1000) with a good amount of features. The TRP is a much better choice, IMHO... I have them both (in a few different variations) but am still partial to Kimbers. They are also in your price range. I'd look at the CDP series, especially if you plan on carrying. They're light and EXTREMELY accurate. Either way, a 1911 is a fabulous choice!

Enjoy it and POST PICS!!!!!

5. michael t

michael t

Colt they work and hold their value. I keep one close by all the time.

6. SubSolar

SubSolar Guest

Within the same brand, are the differences just cosmetic? Like will a Springfield Loaded have the same reliability as the TRP? Looks are important but reliability is #1 for me. By the way, this won't be for carry so I'm looking for a 5" barrel version.

7. bac1023

bac1023

I believe the loaded is just as reliable. however, I handled them both back to back when I bought my TRP. The difference in fit and finish and just overall looks and quality was night and day. The TRP is quite a bit more expensive, but I think its worth every penny. The loaded is excellent, but when you compare them back to back, the TRP makes it feel loose and just much cheaper in general.

If you want to keep it in the $1000 range, I recommend Kimber over Springfield. I think they make about the nicest $1000 1911 available. However, I like the TRP more than the Kimbers in its price range.

8. ArodJohns

ArodJohns Guest

I've got a Kimber Custom II. It hiccupped on GD's a couple times, but aside from those 2 or 3 rounds it's ran like a top. Accurate, has a wonderful trigger on it and heck! It even looks nice! :)

9. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

My Baer Thunder Ranch Special has been impecable for its first 3000 rounds since June, I even shot over 700+ rounds w/o cleaning (I bore snaked at 500) or disassembly while breaking her in w/o a malfunction.

10. SubSolar

SubSolar Guest

What do you guys think of the S&W 1911's? They seem like a good value and have heard mostly good things about them.

11. fyrfytrcwd

fyrfytrcwd Guest

Owned the S&W Scandium version - the SW1911PD. I paid just about $1000, if I remember correctly. It was a Commander size (my personal favorite, dunno why -- I think it's the balance between capacity, 8+1 vs. 7 or 6+1, and size...) Two weeks and four trips to the range later I traded it for another Springer and they allowed $780 towards the value of the new Springer.

I just didn't like it. The quality is spotty, according to what I read, but my experiences with ~800 rounds did not satisfy me, nor did it justify the price tag. I would have gladly coughed-up the extra cash for the Gunsite Edition, which I have heard good things about had I known about the standard version's spotty history.

Buy the Springer, or better yet a Kimber (preferably something from the Custom Shop) and you'll be happier in the long run. That's just my two cents...

12. SubSolar

SubSolar Guest

What were the experiences in 800 rounds that didn't satisfy you? Did it just not feel right and was inaccurate? Or did you have reliability problems like jamming?

13. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

I forgot to mention that I payed $1700 shipped and transferred and that I've done groups like this at 15 yards off hand standing:
    4 rounds with 3 in 1 hole
    [​IMG]

6 rounds 4 in 1 hole
    [​IMG]

And this was with replacement sights that made my POI 2 inches or so high at 15 yards :laughabove:

14. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

Nice shooting Glock2336. The Baers are great pistols, but I think the Premier II is the best buy overall.

15. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

Thanks, but I had a better shooter do about a 1.25" 4 out of 5 round grouping at 20 yards off hand, I'd love to see what it'd do ransom rested. I do agree that the Premier II is a great buy!!!

16. fyrfytrcwd

fyrfytrcwd Guest

Jammed first round when I topped it off with every mag I own. I use Wilson 47D's, but it happened with every mag, even the stockers and the Kimbers (7 or 8 round capacity.) It would FTE on first round, but only when I topped it off. I carry a Kimber Pro CDP 2 with either Wilson 47D's or the Kimpro Tacs loaded 8+1 and have never had an issue. After that incident, I decided that I wasn't comfortable with it, and figured I'd get something else. I didn't bother trying to figure it out -- not worth the time and energy for me. I will note that it did have an external extractor, but I didn't troubleshoot it. One other concern was felt recoil. I guess I just like my Kimbers and Springers more...

Now, before anyone gets upset, I'm not saying that all of their pistols are bad. As a matter of fact, I have two M&P's -- one compact in a .40 and the new .45. Although I'm happier with my XD, they are good shooters and very reliable. My S&W revolvers are also top-notch. I may have just had a lemon.

17. Ruggles

Ruggles

Not sure such a critter is there for you to buy. 1911s are very very reliable but not on the same level as Glocks in general. All the handguns I own are 1911s currently (9 mixed Colts, Baer, Springers, Para & Kimber). The only one that has never had any type of issue is the little Colt New Agent and it only has 170 rds thru it so far.

The 1911s are reliable enough for me to trust as my carry / home guns but I would not bet money that they would put as many rounds downrange as a Glock without issues. Simply an 100 year old design vs a 25 year old design, throw JHPs in the mix and the difference is even greater in the Glocks favor.

I do not currently own any Glocks as I do not like the way they feel or their manual of arms. I love my 1911s but being honest they simply are not as reliable as Glocks gun for gun. They beat the snot out of Glock in every other category that matters but not that one. But as I said they are plenty reliable for me to trust.

The Glock is a great tool, one of the best, but just not for me.

18. SubSolar

SubSolar Guest

I understand, I think the Glock is the most reliable handgun. None of my Glocks has ever jammed on me including a Glock 19 that my Dad bought new in 1993 that has never even been detail stripped or changed so much as a recoil spring. I don't expect that from a 1911. If SHTF, I'm going to my Glock .45 (or preferrably, 12 gauge) if I have a choice. Having said that, you never know which one of your weapons will be closest to you when something happens, so I want to get the most reliable 1911. I also don't want to have issues and be constantly sending it back to the manufacturer to get it right. I like how the 1911's shoot and want to add some variety to my collection since all I have are Glocks.

One other question, when you go from say a $1,000-1,500 Kimber/Colt/Springfield/Para/S&W to a $3,000 Wilson/Les Baer/etc do you just gain accuracy and fit & finish or do you also gain reliability?

19. gconan

gconan

3" @ 50 yards.

20. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

Actually it's 3 inch or less, I'd like to see how much less from my own gun under ideal conditions :supergrin: