Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

Do you use tabbaco? If so what type and why?

• Snuff (Exp: Copegnhagen, Kodiak, Skoal)

Votes: 27 12.2%
  • Chewing tabbaco (Exp: Red Man, Levi Garrett)

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Cigars

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • Cigarettes

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • I quit

Votes: 74 33.5%
  • I never tried it

Votes: 62 28.1%
  • Snus Tobacco

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Vape

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Pipe tabacco

Votes: 7 3.2%
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Process Engineer
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used to smoke when I was younger. I always enjoyed it. Especially if I was drinking and out fishing or camping. I'm not sure that I was ever addicted. I quit pretty easily when I was about 27 and my oldest son was born. I tried Red Man recently out with my buddies and I have to admit I really liked it. My wife is a Dental Hygienist so I don't see it becoming the norm around my house. But I can see the occasional chew in the garage. I do occasionally have a cigar with my brother and some green Spot.

I'm curious who uses tobacco, I suspect a lot of folks do. I'm very aware of the negative affects it can have on the body. But I truly believe anything can have a negative and addictive effect on the body if done in excess. Look at sugar, its killing America. Should be a interesting discussion.

whiskey-cigar.jpg

·
NOT MOD APPROVED
8,680 Posts
Where's the never option? My parents smoked when I was a kid, and I thought it was discusting; so I never touched the stuff.

·
Banned
5,385 Posts
My brother said that quitting Copenhagen was like quitting meth!
It was a bad year, man. After every meal, every stressful ambulance call, any stressful anything outside of work, right before bed... a very bad year.

I'm sure nicotine binds to a similar receptor in the brain as heroin. It has to. Packing another dip has become a "never event," like smoking meth or dating a dude or carrying a Hi-Point.

·
M62/76
12,346 Posts
I quit smoking years ago and have never regretted it but I do chew Red Man about 1-2 times per week.

Reactions: 01coltcolt

·
Rational
14,558 Posts
I enjoy cigars, but I'm not a regular smoker. Lately, I've had 3 in about the past month. I currently have about 19 or 20 of them in my tupperdore.

Never tried chewing tobacco. Nor will I ever. Have smoked the occasional cigarette, but probably only one every couple of years; usually when I visit a friend who smokes.

My mother smoked for years, and has battled cancer 3 times. Two of her three sisters smoked very heavily, and they both died of cancer. So it's definitely genetic, and I need to keep an eye on it. I've got an appointment with a Urologist on July 3rd, and I'll probably talk to them about all of this.

My father is currently on the patch, and he's really having a hard time. Last I heard, he smokes one cigarette a day when he wakes up, and that's it. But it wouldn't surprise me if he's not entirely honest about that.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I quit smoking about 34 years ago after watching my father in law die from lung cancer. It was not a very pretty sight watching him gasp for breath. When I quit, I started chewing tobacco, then switched to snuff. I quit that for about the fifth time 4 1/2 years ago. I think I finally have that habit kicked. It is one of the hardest things I have ever tried to do, but I believe I have made it this time.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
It was a bad year, man. After every meal, every stressful ambulance call, any stressful anything outside of work, right before bed... a very bad year.

I'm sure nicotine binds to a similar receptor in the brain as heroin. It has to. Packing another dip has become a "never event," like smoking meth or dating a dude or carrying a Hi-Point.
What this guy said. I am at 1-1.5 cans of Copenhagen a day. I really do want to quit however it is vey hard. I have quit in the past before, and it was never this hard. My issue is the "never event," I always wind up stopping, then buying a can months later for a caming trip or long car ride, well the the cycle starts over again.

I will always have fond memories of when I first tried it because I was 16, and it was a risky thing to do. Now, it is just something I pretty much need to have daily. Work is the worst. 12 hours (minimum) in a car, stressful calls, typing, a lot of times not having time to even eat. dip helps me focus, relax and curbs appetite. on nights, it is something to do when bored.

these are delicious. when I was in High school, my buddy and I would alternate between these and lucky strikes. we also tried the unfiltered Pall Malls which were not as good, but I liked the extra length of them.

edit - the old adage is true for me, I wish I had never touched the stuff. any of it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My brother said that quitting Copenhagen was like quitting meth!
Consistent "Dipper" here....Cope and/or Skoal (or whatever is on sale...stuff is about $8 a tin up here in the Northeast!).

This time around...when I get to quitting, I see it being hard. Sitting in a patrol car or at a desk for 8 hours...easy to throw a lip in, especially when others around me dip too!

Last time, I quit cold turkey in about 2004 after my 2nd tour overseas....didn't have a dip until 2014/2015...quit for like 11 years! Was on a sh**-show of a call...another officer threw in a dip afterwards and offered some to me...I threw in a lip and that was it...gotta quit again, but this time around seems harder (I'm also alot older...LOL).

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
My dad smoked before I was born. Growing up, all the drill bits and loose tools in his workshop were kept in old cardboard cigar boxes. He said it wasn't a good habit and that's why he gave it up.

My mom was a nurse and also said it was a bad habit that wasn't good for your health.

Unlike many of my peers, I actually respected my parents' opinions. Why start a money wasting habit that will make me, my clothes, and my home stink while putting me at risk for major health problems?

Honestly, we know so much medically now, if you're under the age of 50, I don't understand why you'd ever start. I don't say that in a judgemental way. I'm just kinda baffled by the choice.

Edit: grammar and clarity.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I smoked a pipe (I had a dozen or more at one time) and used chew/dip tobacco for years. I decided to quit one day and did.

I missed it, but it was really no big deal.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts