Use of safety with pistol grip??

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by larry_minn, Aug 29, 2015.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have had "itch" to bubba up (or buy one already done) home shotgun.
    I have looked over a couple that I liked. BUT they all had pistol grip (with stock) I found that I could not reach safety on Mossberg at all, and could not set safety on 870s.
    One seller suggested I stick trigger finger thru trigger guard and place it on safe// :eek: :O
    So am I too fussy? I guess I learned with AR to go from safe to fire on target/back to safe/ drop to sling/ transition/back...

2. MSW

MSW

Look at a Birdshead grip. Google Shockwave technologies.

Got one on my Mossy. Works just fine.

fflincher likes this.

3. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

You've stumbled across one of the universal truths - PG stocks and Mossberg safeties don't run together very smooth. Doable and if that's the gun you have and all you can acquire, then run with it but you see the problem.

870 is much better and you can use the technique of reaching behind the trigger guard and pushing it to your right with your thumb. Practice and be careful but it works.

4. 22highcaps

22highcaps

I have Speedfeed IV-S stocks on my 870s and Vang Comp big dome safeties. They extremely easy to use.

5. L-2

L-2

If you really like a pistol-grip-only (no judgement regarding use) or pistol-gripped stock, then work with it for several sessions.
    Manipulating the safeties can be done.

On the 870, slightly rotate one's hand to place on safe using one's thumb.
    On the Mossberg, rotate the hand slightly upward to use one's trigger finger to place the safety "on"; use one's thumb to push the safety forward to "off" or fire position; quickly rotating the hand back to a firing position.

Do remember, there shouldn't be any need to get really fast at placing the weapon back on "safe", but speed & dexterity will come. Use it or dry fire it everyday for a month and I think you'll be very proficient or realize it's not for you.

I've gone back to a straight stock and it's also what our entire must use at work (no personal shotguns can be used, anyway). Also, I've found the pistol grip hard on my wrist as some of my practice sessions may be measured in hours, not just minutes.

6. yz9890

yz9890

I have no use for a pistol grip on my home defense (or any) shotgun. But if I did, I wouldn't have a gun with a tang safety. I prefer Mossbergs but wouldn't mess around with a pistol grip on one. Just doesn't work very well.

7. larry_minn

I had thought I might like pistol grip, full stock. As it would be similar to ar. IF I ever get a shotgun set up it will be with useable sling, and safety I can operate easily.
    Really the AR is better choice for me. Just something to look for (for at least last couple yrs) :). Before it was double barrel, exposed hammer. Never got one. Either $$$ or felt like junk. Besides I think Biden's idea stupid...

8. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy In the STL

I've had a pistol grip style stock on my Mossy 500 for years. I prefer it and it feels better to me. It's not a pistol grip only, but a pistol grip with an adjustable stock like on an AR rifle. MY fingers are long and I can work the top safety with no problems with my thumb with just a slight tilt of the wrist. I also installed a larger, triangle shaped safety button which helps. Looks like this (not my pics, found on interweb)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. CMG

CMG

If you're just giving the shotgun a try-out, try the Stevens 320 Security. It's an import from Savage and is a close copy of the old Winchester 1300 pump. The best feature: the cross bolt safety is located in the front of the trigger guard, and easy to reach even from the full pistol grip.

It's available with ghost ring rear and winged fiber-optic front sighs, and more good news: They retail for about $200 so if you find the shotgun just isn't for you... your investment is minimal.

[​IMG]

10. larry_minn

Most it's easy to take safety off. Resetting it seems to be issue.

11. Z71bill

Z71bill

Why would you want to be messing with the safety on a home defense shotgun?

Put it in the "off" position and forget about it.

The last thing I want to be doing when some criminal is kicking in my door in the middle of the night is to be messing with or worrying about my safety being on or off.

Consider this - it is the way I do it - so obviously think it is good - but everyone needs to do what is best for them.

I use an 870 -

Make sure it is unloaded -
    I set safety to off (trigger will pull) position
    I pull the trigger
    I load 6 shells into the magazine
    I put gun in the safe

Now if I need the gun I just rack the action - no small buttons to push - no reason to hit the action bar lock because since the trigger has been pulled the action is not locked.

Glockdude1 likes this.
  12. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:agree:

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

They safety on a shotgun is something I don't really use much, so I don't guess I'd be concerned. "Safe" is with the safety off and an empty chamber.

I agree with Z71Bill

14. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

I think having your HD shotgun in Off safe with an empty chamber is perfectly fine for HD where children and other who don't have unintended access aren't around but where the safety is hugely important, to me, is when you spend your time at the range, especially during training.

I can't tell you how many thousands of time the rangemaster and instructors have yelled, "Safe 'em, sling 'em". That is uttered countless times during a single class and it's vitally important. If you're a one point shooter I'd like to think you value your toes and feet a little bit.

I don't know how you become an efficient and capable practioneer of the shotgun for SD without spending lots of quality time at the range or in classes. Safety is paramount, whether it's learning how to physically use the safety or just safe shooting in general.

15. Z71bill

Z71bill

So - do you think a Glock is an unsafe weapon to use at the range?

16. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

Not at all. It's very safe and it cannot be rendered any safer (unless you empty the chamber) once your finger is off the trigger.

870's and Mossbergs don't have the same firing pin block mechanism the Glock does. Their safeties only keep the trigger from moving.

17. Z71bill

Z71bill

Just so I understand - help me out --

What situation would a fully loaded Glock be safe while at the range - where the same situation with my 870 would be unsafe - unless I had the manual safety on?

Slamming the gun (870 stock first) into the ground?

Same thing - but replace at the range with - guy breaking into my home.

18. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

I suppose it depends on our comfort level with the safety but just from an empirical standpoint, the Glock has redundancy built into their firing mechanism where the 870 relies on a trigger block.

I'm not making the point that the 870 is unsafe but other firearm manufacturers have devised hammer and firing pin blocks to give an even higher level of safety. I have faith that the safety on my 870 will work but at the same time, when I'm slinging my single point I make sure that the muzzle isn't pointing at my feet either.

19. Z71bill

Z71bill

I don't have a comfort level with any safety - I don't trust any of them -

I will use the safety on my CZ if I am 1/2 way through a mag and need to set the gun down - which is rare -

But when I carry it is hammer down with one in the chamber - so safety can't be on even if I wanted it to be.

Please - Don't take my comments as being critical of what you do - I just like to understand - if I am doing it wrong I will change - but so far I am comfortable with what I am doing.

20. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

I take no offense at all. I think the more important thing in the totality of our discussion is that each of us are students and always looking to learn. You'll take away from others the things you need to improve you skills and I, and everyone else, do the same. That's how we improve the dialog and use of the weapon.