Use of facial recognition technology by police growing in Canada, as privacy laws lag

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by 4Rules, Feb 10, 2020.

1. 4Rules

4Rules

Calgary police regularly use it, and Toronto police have tested out their own system. Edmonton and Saskatoon are considering it. Montreal police would not confirm whether they use facial recognition systems. Halifax, Winnipeg and Vancouver say they do not. Other police forces contacted did not respond to inquiries. The RCMP say they are not using facial recognition technology. "However we continue to monitor new and evolving technology," the force said in an email. "I think legislators and policy-makers need to turn their minds to this," said David Fraser, a privacy lawyer with McInnes Cooper in Halifax. "We need to have this discussion, and the police need to be dragged into that discussion, out of the shadows where they're making decisions about currently deploying this sort of technology."
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/facial-recognition-police-privacy-laws-1.5452749

2. fastbolt

fastbolt

3. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

we use it everyday to solve Theft cases Forgery and burglary, you have no right to protect your identity when you go out in public and commit crimes.

cheygriz, Ordell Robbie and fastbolt like this.
  4. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

Objecting to the use of facial recognition is just plain paraniod.

It's a wonderful new technology that has helped LE get thousands of pukes and scumbags off of the street.

'Ol Grandad likes this.
  5. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

My wife and I still watch OTA local news in the evenings and one of my pet peeves for years has been the crime stopper segments when these morons that wear hooded sweatshirts go in to stick a place up hoodies down. Naturally, I yell my commentary at the tv for all the good it does.

We think it's become a hereditary thing because on more than one occasion we have overheard our 13 year old son in the kitchen yelling at the tv "Next time go in hoodie up, Dumbass!!"

Mayhem like Me likes this.