Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Moved on...
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS WAS A HUGE MISTAKE.... Hope it is reversed or, a lot of us that use GPS daily could be screwed....
https://breakingdefense.com/2020/05/dod-pushes-to-reverse-fcc-ok-of-ligado-5g-network/
And.....
https://breakingdefense.com/2020/05...es-ligado-of-inaccurate-claims-in-fcc-ruling/
And...
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-fccs-decision-puts-gps-at-risk-11588719423
And...
https://spacenews.com/dod-issues-new-rebuke-of-fccs-decision-to-allow-ligado-5g-network/

This decision was NUTS! EVERYONE uses their GPS. If this company is allowed to launch this network, if could effectively drown out your cellphone GPS. It can also affect sophisticated AIRCRAFT GPS! Oh boy!

·
Values. Can't be bought.
13,043 Posts
Well, as long as none of us are going anywhere.........you know, until it's completely safe..
Wait, I have an idea. In places where the GPS signal is blocked by 5G, Ligado will sell us positioning data from the 5G nodes. Now it makes sense.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
This reeks of corruption from the start. That spectrum was defined for Earth-to-space communication. If it had been made use for terrestrial broadcast, other companies would have made bids on it as well. How they got exclusivity is questionable. Ajit Pai continues to be a piece of ****.

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
Not going to happen...every ship, plane and delivery truck uses gps, along with many vehicles nowadays, too. It would be mass chaos and huge loss of life if that occurred. Ships would run aground, planes would slam into mountains, trucks would be off-route...

·
Registered
12,699 Posts
Well, starting out, the Secretary of Defense is a much larger gorilla than the chairman of the FCC and the FCC suggesting that they have the science behind them is a laugher. FAR more science at the beck and call of SECDEF than the FCC can imagine.

Expect the score to be DOD 1, FCC 0. Don

·
Banned
3,939 Posts
Not going to happen...every ship, plane and delivery truck uses gps, along with many vehicles nowadays, too. It would be mass chaos and huge loss of life if that occurred. Ships would run aground, planes would slam into mountains, trucks would be off-route...
Only if the Captains, Pilots & Drivers were stupid.

·
NRA Life Member
14,407 Posts
I couldn’t care less about GPS.

I guess I’m old (at 44) but I actually know how to use a map and compass to get where the **** I’m going. Even in the bush.
Knowing how to read a map is great, but let's be honest, you'd still be looking for a cross street to find out what grid square you're in on the map and I'd already have Siri playing "Holiday Road" and rerouting me based on current traffic conditions & warning me about cops on the route to Wally World.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I couldn’t care less about GPS.

I guess I’m old (at 44) but I actually know how to use a map and compass to get where the **** I’m going. Even in the bush.
1.you're young
2.you use a paper map and compass to get to a restaurant across town ? Where does one get a map ? The filling station ?

I haven’t seen local maps in many many years .

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
FCC needs to be shut down they are a uses organization that just steals money by selling frequencies they do not have a right to. They suck big time. Home someone else handle it.
They jumped the shark when they thought they had the right to tell cable what they can put on their network. That was the point of cable, we can watch what we want, we are paying for it.

They get in the DoD's way and I think they will find out that the military has the last say so the spectrum and they do not have a limit on power. How does a megawatt sound Ligado?

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
Looking into this further Ligado is over 1.5G and GPS is down in the 1.3G area. With GPS being so popular and high volume they have developed very good filters for it. I doubt they will mess up GPS. The proof will be in the rapist promoted desert product.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts