Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The beaches in FORT LAUDERDALE along US A1A are closed. (This is referred to as the Barrier Island)
We live just over the other side of the Intracoastal waterway.
Today we decided to take wall along the beach, get some fresh air and exercise...
walking along the beach, all the parking is blocked off (?) and of course the beach entrances.
As we were walking cops on motorcycles are driving back and forth telling people that they CANNOT SIT ON THE WALL ALONG THE BEACH.. I can help but wonder what "Bright Spark" came up with this EDICT...LAW ...WTF
How much does it cost in overtime to have these cops shouting at people who may sit on the wall for a few minutes.. HEIL HITLER
THIS IS WRONG IN SO MANY WAYS

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
Correction: Nobody likes being OVER-Governed.

That government which governs the least governs the best.
--Henry David Thoreau
Guy lived in a great time period for minimal government. I like the whole beginning of the New Thought era. They were just realizing how great freedom was and living it up.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I think you mean nobody likes being ruled.
I agree... nobody likes being ruled, governed, or told what they can or cannot do!!! Between an ever-changing government, an ever-changing society, and in an ever-changing nation/world, it seems to happen a lot... I’ve come to realize, that it’s not going to stop and that I can adapt to it...It’s what we do!!..lol...

·
18,929 Posts
Guy lived in a great time period for minimal government. I like the whole beginning of the New Thought era. They were just realizing how great freedom was and living it up.
But the statement, "That government which governs least governs best" -- is as true today as it was then because while times change, truth never does.

And what makes it true today is that the more power we give to the government to govern us, the more that power corrupts the government, and the more we limit the government's power the less potential for corruption there will be.

·
Registered
13,221 Posts

·
A swamp dude
11,331 Posts
So how do you "limit the governments power"?

What's the plan?
For starters, how about pushing back from the keyboard and taking to the street to protest.

Right or wrong, the people who are demonstrating are at least doing something besides caterwauling on the internet.

We are great at pissing and moaning about government overreach and tyranny because of beach and gun range closures, but whining here ain’t
accomplishing anything. If the government is so tyrannical, do what our founders would do: push back!

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not ALL GOVERNMENT is BAD...
Thinking only about AUTOMOTIVE SAFETY the .gov, has mandated
For starters, how about pushing back from the keyboard and taking to the street to protest.

Right or wrong, the people who are demonstrating are at least doing something besides caterwauling on the internet.

We are great at pissing and moaning about government overreach and tyranny because of beach and gun range closures, but whining here ain’t
accomplishing anything. If the government is so tyrannical, do what our founders would do: push back!
I'm too old and cranky to protest, , protesting in the street is a young persons job., I'd wind up in jail (or worse), my "filter" is full,....I'm a letter writer...which I do often.

·
NRA Benefactor
7,440 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

"Godwin's law (or Godwin's rule of Hitler analogies)[1][2] is an Internet adage asserting that "as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1".[2][3] That is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Adolf Hitler or his deeds, the point at which effectively the discussion or thread often ends. Promulgated by the American attorney and author Mike Godwin in 1990,[2] Godwin's law originally referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions.[4] It is now applied to any threaded online discussion, such as Internet forums, chat rooms, and comment threads, as well as to speeches, articles, and other rhetoric[5][6] where reductio ad Hitlerum occurs.

Godwin has stated that he introduced Godwin's law in 1990 as an experiment in memetics.[2]

In 2012, "Godwin's law" became an entry in the third edition of the Oxford English Dictionary.[
"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts