Use A Fitbit - Go To Jail?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LinuxLover, Sep 19, 2019.

1. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

First --- I didn't write this article, but I did a little editing for clarity as it had a lot of run-on sentences and some sentences with no verbs or predicates or objects of the verb in them. Of course, MY edits are gonna be in ---> yup: purple.

That said ---- I also warn people that this MAY have some big words in it and they might need help in pronouncing them.

There is also a plethora of words (a lot of words) in this post and it certainly falls into the TL;DR category. That's too bad and I feel sorry for those so incriminated.

-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^​

A year ago, a crime in San Jose, California, made the news all over the country:
    “Police Use Fitbit Data to Charge 90-year-old in Stepdaughter’s Killing,”
    ........was the headline in the New York Times. ​

Unpack those words and it’s clear why the story went viral. First was (Consider that) the Fitbit, (is) a technology used by millions to track health and exercise.

The case seemed to confirm that our most personal biological data—movement, heartbeat, sleep—could indeed be subject to surveillance, but also that fitness trackers could become breakthrough tools for police investigations. (That sentence was OK for some reason)

Then, of course, there was the 90-year-old suspect, That (, and that) was a head-scratcher. We aren’t used to thinking of nonagenarians as murderers.

Intrigued, Lauren Smiley, a relentless reporter, set out to find the story behind the headlines. What Smiley found seemed to be a paradox: The suspect, Tony Aiello, was 4’11” with heart problems and arthritis.

He was a backslapping kind of guy who had been the proprietor of a deli for years. During a six-hour interrogation, he called the detectives who grilled him “my friend” and repeatedly denied killing his wife’s daughter, Karen Navarra.

And yet, a
    (A) Ring camera on a neighbor’s house documented Aiello’s car in Navarra’s driveway at the same time that her Fitbit showed that her heart stopped.

It was a neat confluence of new technology. Other evidence started to look bad for Aiello, too. (these two sentences SHOULD be melded into a single sentence; but I'll give it a PASS for the nonce.)

Fitbit evidence has rarely been introduced in courtroom trials, and questions about its it's* accuracy remain.
    * (NOTE: there is some adroit discussion as to WHETHER an inanimate object can have a singular-possessive case. I opt for "Yes, it can because I'm old and I remember my English Composition Classes c. 1960-61 or so, but mostly 'cause I say so .)

But the (The) Aiello case has relevance beyond one mysterious murder in a San Jose subdivision.

As Smiley writes: “as the internet of things (IOT) keeps expanding— (eg) porch cameras aimed out into the street to catch passing cars, cell phones tracking us pretty much always, virtual assistants listening in—criminals are going to have to become more tech-savvy or find another trade. And we We all should realize there is little (that) we can hide.

I give the write a C- because this is SUPPOSED to be written by a professional writer!

Inyo Tim likes this.
  2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Seems thin. Unless he confessed... His car was there, when her watch say d it stopped detecting a heart beat? Could she have removed it? (I would assume it raced very fast before stopping)
    Let's be honest. Many people have set up their cell so it records where the phone is ( they are) 24/7

3. Darklock

Darklock

Before you throw stones, look at your own editing. "It's" is an abbreviation for it is. "Its" is the possessive.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  4. doktarZues

doktarZues

Good god man.. to have so much free time and to fill out out with this post.

-JCN- and CAcop like this.
  5. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Memo to file: take off Fitbit before killing someone. Yes, DO leave home without it.

6. Zonny

Zonny

Whew. This is exactly why I prefer the Apple Watch.

7. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Every time I kill someone, I steal their watch. So, am I OK?

MB-G26, Inyo Tim and slamdunc like this.
  8. nmk

nmk

Good lord.

Ghost doctor likes this.
  9. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Robots will do my evil bidding then i will remotely destroy them. Good luck

BigBluefish and Inyo Tim like this.
  10. CAcop

CAcop

Why? You actually think it is secure?

11. billkill

billkill

The victim, not the suspect was wearing the Fitbit and all it did was record the time of death (heartbeat stops). Since there are other ways to determine time of death, the Fitbit at the most merely corroborates the findings of the ME.
    The Thread title and the article are both clickbait. :rolleyes:

pittpa and nmk like this.
  12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Few if any of your OCD grammatical corrections have any foundation in actual rules of English. For example, I have read that among the writers of great English literature about 10% of their sentences start with conjunctions - there's no rule against it.

13. Zonny

Zonny

I guess I forgot my :)

CAcop likes this.
  14. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

You don’t have to do anything. The cell company is capturing GPS & cell tower pings. if you have WiFi or Bluetooth on almost anywhere you go is tracking you via those technologies. Any time you get online your location IP address is captured; cars have built in GPS, satellite radio etc., all that can be tracked. Where I live, 90% of traffic light have cameras mounted to the poles.

It’s not whether you set up to be tracked, you have to work to NOT be tracked. At best you can reduce it some.

FullClip likes this.
  15. dg370

dg370

Let’s teach the ignorant how to commit crimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. CAcop

CAcop

We had an in custody death where a drunk died on some officers. Aside from body cams there was footage all over due to businesses having cameras capturing the street.

michael_b likes this.
  17. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Shouldn't the thread title be, "use a Fitbit, while committing a crime go to jail"?

18. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

19. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I think it was the victim's fitbit, not the murderer's fitbit.

pittpa likes this.
  20. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Don't leave an electronic or paper trail and check all your vehicle lights and don't speed when hauling illegal items or committing crime