close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

USCG Maybe-Possible-Newbie

Discussion in 'US Coast Guard Forum' started by jsx1043, Apr 6, 2007.

1. jsx1043

jsx1043

Hello all Coasties!

I am considering joining the CG through OCS. The down low: I am 27, married with one kid (1.5 years,) and have a Bachelor's Degree. I am currently a police officer and am very interested in the MSST's. I have not had a chance to talk to a recruiter yet, I was just curious if anyone had some insight they would be willing to share.

Thanks

2. bwithoutremorse

bwithoutremorse

27 years old, chance to go to OCS, this is the right path to head down for the CG. As for a MSST, you won't do as much of the LE as you will manage personnel. Any questions you have feel free to ask, I have over 9 years of experience. I will say that at 27 years old and enlisting is very hard, especially if you are a police officer. You'll have to listen to a 20 year old petty officer (can't even drink legally) feel a sense of self-satisfaction telling you to clean a head.

3. jsx1043

jsx1043

I 'll be the Ensign in charge of Head Cleaning Duty if it would help me pay all the bills and get me going in the right direction.

4. TexasFatboy

TexasFatboy

That’s probably truer than you realize...

As a JO at an MSST, you'll be a master at planning meeting's, organizing patrol schedules, planning more meetings, organizing morning PT for the crew, counseling enlisted folks on the appearances of thier uniforms, drafting mishap reports, attending more meetings, approving performance marks and scheduling more meetings.

As an officer (at an MSST) you'll very rarely step foot on a boat or carry a gun. The majority of your work will be administrative in nature. Most of the guys that work patrol are in the E-4/E-6 range.

DO NOT join the CG if an MSST is your soul intention. If you’re lucky enough to be selected for MSST duty, it's only going to last for 3 or 4 years...then it's time to move on.

Don’t get me wrong…the CG is a great place to work. But the MSST program is a very small part of it.

Head over to the discussion boards at www.fredsplace.org and browse around for awhile. They have a lot of good information for inquiring minds.

5. Buoyboy

Buoyboy

I'm a CG officer who started of as an enlisted man. There are many opportunities for development(for example, I was sent to graduate school to get my Masters degree and the CG paid me my normal salary and all of the tuition costs) and a diversity of rewarding jobs for officers.

I have to agree with another poster that you can't enter the Coast Guard if your only reason is to be on a MSST. I don't think that it is a high probability outcome. You tell the detailer where you would like to go and they send you where they determine the CG needs you to go. As an ensign, you might end up working at CGHQ in Washington DC - you never know.

As an ensign or a LTJG, you might get an opportunity to do some LE where you carry the weapons and board the ships (I did as a JO on a cutter)but as you get more senior, you become a leader and a manager.

The pay is pretty good and you can support your family with a comfortable standard of living. The work is rewarding and challenging. Finally, I don't think you can work for and in a better organization.

I would say that you should investigate and gather all of the information you can.

Good Luck

6. sgtslwilson

sgtslwilson

I am also a police officer and I am trying to join the Coast Guard. I grew up on a shrimp boat in Mobile, AL and have personally been saved from death by them twice.

I am 34 years old and am now a police Captain. I'm an Army veteran as well. I only have 2 years of college so I will go enlisted. I have talked to recruiters already and after I lose 6 pounds I should be good to go.

anybody ever go from Army to civilian police to CG? Any pointers

BTW....excuse an old Army dog here....but what is an MSST?

Lance

7. Buoyboy

Buoyboy

Not much time this am to respond but

If you are interested in MSST/LE http://www.uscg.mil/lantarea/Units.asp (there are links to MSSTs and TACLET South)