close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

USB Wireless Adapter

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Burrito, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Burrito

Burrito

What are your thoughts on these?

I just bought one for my desktop computer. When I hooked it up I realized that I have no "high speed" USB ports. I get a message on my computer saying I'm not getting the full benefits of the adapter becuase I don't have it plugged in a "high speed" USB port. Should I take it back and get the wirelss adapter that plugs directly into the motherboard?

2. ric0123

ric0123

Nope. So you don't have a USB 2.0 card. So what. USB 1.1 is limited to 11megabits. If you have better than an 11 megabit DSL connection, I'm very jealous.

The problem with PCI (internal) cards is that their signal reception sucks. The USB ones are much better because they are up higher and you can move them around. Stick with what you got

3. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren C.E. Moderator

As an aside, you can add USB 2.0 ports to a desktop very cheaply. I got two of these (for two separate computers) and am quite pleased. It costs less than $10 per unit and is quite popular and well rated.

As mentioned, shouldn't matter for 'net connectivity, but it will improve speeds if you use the wireless adapter to make any network transfers. Will also matter if you ever decide to get any kind of Digital Camera/Card Reader/MP3 Player/External HDD/etc, etc etc.

If you're using something like an external HDD, the speed difference between USB 1 or 1.1 and 2.0 is night and day.

4. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

nope.

i assume "plugs directly into the motherboard" is probably a PCI card.

as stated above, you will get no speed benefit by swapping it out.