USAF needs bombers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tomcat1977, Sep 18, 2019.

1. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

Maybe this is a product of playing the world’s police. Pull our troops back to our country and maybe a few key forward bases. Simplify things and close bases. Get us out of Iraq and Afghanistan...we’ve been there about 17 years too long already.

czsmithGT likes this.
  2. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

SALT 2 was never ratified by the Senate and in any event expired in 1986.

The START I treaty expired in 2009

Then there was START II and SORT.

In any event, none of these agreements are why our military is broken and neither is the amount of money they spend (waste).

The military wastes multi billions on stuff that does not work (eg, the Bush), stuff that is massively over budget and late (eg. F-35), stuff that is broken (deploying an aircraft carier battle group without an available air craft carrier (Truman electrical system), trying to keep enough air wings available, etc.

The never ending wars in the middle east don't help the situation.

GlockPride likes this.

3. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

Well the problem with that is the terrorists will take root and before you know it they will be flying airliners into our buildings again. That or just running over our citizens with U-hauls.

"World Police" ? While I agree in principle I dont see what that has to do with not having bombers in flyable condition. Like it or not we have 50,000 troops within range of NKs missiles and closing the straight of Hormuz would crash our economy, besides Iran has so much American blood on their hands already who knows what they are capable of?

"Locked and Loaded" that was entirely a bluff by Trump. The countrys in that region wont allow American Jabo's to launch or over fly to attack Iran "fear of Iran's IRBMs" and we dont have enough bombers available for a credible threat. So that leaves a CV in the area and it would be at risk getting to close, within attack range. We just dont have the deterrence anymore.

Trump is trying but he has to tread carefully because if he doesn't get another 4 years then we are truly fracked. Man just look at this menagerie of nincompoops the Dimokrats are running.

Article on current B2 upgrade. https://defensemaven.io/warriormave...-a-b-2-stealth-attack-OfXtDN3XRUqk1-llRpcmug/

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    larry_minn and glock1097 like this.
  4. BlueKat

BlueKat

Over worked & under maintained....

What it sounds like is that we need a return of the medium fighter/bombers. Like the F-111 & F-105.

mc1911 likes this.
  5. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    We have that with the F-16 and F-15E.

What we really need is more airframes.

The problem is not a lack of capability. It’s the end result of over extending your maintenance and logistical capabilities, by buying fewer, more sophisticated tails.

Bus007 likes this.
  6. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

This sort of readiness information is generally classified.

Deltic and G19Tony like this.
  7. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

More F-16's, please.

Bus007 and AK_Stick like this.
  8. Tomcat1977

F-16's are off the shopping list tho bomb truck F-15s have been ordered. LM is still shilling a version of F-16 they are calling the F-21, and its still a pretty damn good fighter, but USAF isn't interested. The Block 70 has conformal fuel tanks above the wings for extended range and very good avionics including our best AESA radar. Its service life has been doubled to 12,000 flight hours too with modern construction/materials.

India is very interested. It wants to build them en-masse IN India, like I said its still a pretty damn good fighter. Taiwan is interested too.

So why buy more F-15s? They are a proven airframe and the new ones will have a service life of at least 20,000 hours, 3x a F-35, so why put hours on a F-35/22 if stealth isn't needed and with conformal fuel tanks it will have a long loiter time and carry a LOT of ords. Why spin a B1b around a bunch of goats in some 3rd world craphole when you can send the new 2 seater F-15?

Besides everything is on a network now so a F-35/22 can lead a strike, some F-15s can launch and run outside of AA range, and the F-35 can take over control of the weapons in flight. Or even a drone can. And Boeing is dying to cut a deal for them. Your right we need more old fashioned Jabo's.

Of course id the Dimokrats win these 15's will be the first things canceled.

larry_minn and mc1911 like this.
  9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Can the gamer kids fit in a drone?

Remember that Star Wars movie where all the remote control fights shut down at once. I wonder if that could happen again :)

10. Tomcat1977

Actually its not classified at all. Why would it be classified?

11. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

Yes, but like the A-10, in a world where air defenses are easily knocked out, and we maintain air superiority, there is no substitute for old fashioned iron. Especially with relatively inexpensive, and simple aircraft.

I’ll always remember the Iraqis being pounded in the first gulf war, and the disappointment our ground troops had that they all surrendered.

I want our grunt disappointed as often as possible.

larry_minn, glock1097 and Bus007 like this.
  12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Exactly. And bombers are basically just missile platforms at this point in the same way that naval ships are.

13. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

Boomers too.

14. CAcop

CAcop

I'm not worried about it. Didn't we just carpet bomb a bunch of ISIS with fighters.

When was the last time we had fighter pilots take an aircraft out of the sky?

When was the last time fighter pilots dropped a bomb?

I'd be willing to bet a fighter can penetrate air defenses a hell of a lot easier than any of our bombers.

15. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    You can’t be serious?

Deltic and GVIFlyer like this.
  16. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

17. CBennett

CBennett

Thats what happens when you let Dems use their $$ on their liberal special projects and garbage and cut the ,military...

mc1911 likes this.
  18. F14A

F14A

Bill Clinton didn't kick off the downsizing it was Dick "haliburton" Cheney..

I know. I was active duty at the time. Look at base closure dates all over this Nation and see the force reduction act that Bush senior and Dick concieved of. Then the "evil empire" failed..

Haliburton became even wealthier by becoming a private military contractor during Gulf War 1.

19. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

I know this is a serious thread... but this just popped into my head... Rachel Welch as the "Kansas City Bomber" circa 1972.
    [​IMG]

Not to be confused with the Bomber from Kansas City, which was a B-25, circa 1942

[​IMG]

... you can never have too many bombers....

mc1911 and jim goose like this.
  20. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

pgg00, G19Tony and AK_Stick like this.