USAF needs bombers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tomcat1977, Sep 18, 2019.

1. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

Missiles and plenty of them

2. army_eod

army_eod US Army Retired, EOD, PM, PMP

We have not won s h I t since WW2 and that is with a lot of help.
    We are winning more using Trump's economic and cyberwarfare methods.
    Unfortunately, China, NK and Russia do very well with these methods.
    The US has been subverted by Commies which should be quite obvious.
    That is warfare waged left of armed conflict. It works.
    But I don't know anything. Just 30 years in the Army and 10 years as a contractor for the Army.

mc1911 and glock1097 like this.

3. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

LOL.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Just popped into the Okie while perusing the classifieds.

I can honestly say that the amount of man-hours that has been put in at Whiteman over the last 6-12 months, those airmen would be awful pissed with the assessment of only 7 ready B-2's right now. There were more than 7 ready when I was there in April.

That's all I can say because that's all that they could tell me. But I did get my pic taken in front of the bomb bay doors. Because it's the only part they can photograph you in front of. LOL

5. PBCounty

PBCounty

Holy ****, look who stumbled in.

6. Flags

Flags

Nice to see you post again. Hope it continues.

ithaca_deerslayer and TBO like this.
  7. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

I don’t know. I didn’t know their work was particular to one plane.

8. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

That makes sense. I was watching an interesting show recently about the Russian MIGS. In the Korean War our B-29’s were being shot down by the MiG-15. Our aircraft at the time, just couldn’t match the Mig’s performance. Later, as we introduced new aircraft training was conducted at Nellis with some MIGS that we got hold of. We trained and developed tactics to fly with MIGS and defeat them.
    The Smithsonian Channel, "Air Warriors" has some great shows.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    mc1911 likes this.
  9. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

The test model "probably" does exist. The actual B-21 will make its maiden flight for the world to see in about a year. We have its predecessor, the B2, already flying and already capable of everything I'm saying.

USAF already released the B-21's design specs which is what I'm quoting. Do you think I'm just making them up?

10. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

When it comes to military tech, specifically aviation related, it is not think.

11. plp

plp

Oh, agree, no way will we ever replace all manned aircraft with drones, but thought we were talking about bombers specifically.

And yes, we had some pretty effective stuff 20 years ago, in that application. I can only imagine they have gotten better. The biggest advantage was range, with the same fuel and payload had 1500 miles more range than a manned bomber.

12. Tomcat1977

In Korea we dropped far more bombs in 3 years on Korea then we did in the entire Pacific theater in WW2. We destroyed 85% of the buildings and basically destroyed all of North Korea forcing them to the peace table.

In all of S/E Asia we dropped 3 times the amount of bombs as we did in the entirety of WW2, forcing them to the peace table. Once the Politician's found the guts to Loose the B-52s against NV targets. During Linebacker ll in 11 days in Dec. 1972 Heavy and Light bombers took out every strategic target in and around Hanoi along with almost all their air defense with coordinated wild weasel and ECM aircraft.

With their harbors mined, their fuel, munitions, and production facility's destroyed, their bridges and transportation network all about gone, North Vietnam was unable to continue prosecuting the war. Nor did they until the American's left and the American public refused to back continuation after the North violated the peace agreement.

mc1911 and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  13. Bus007

Bus007

Sheet metal, weapons loaders and POL, I’m sure there are others.

AK_Stick likes this.
  14. Tomcat1977

The B-21 Raider will be capable of manned or unmanned missions. It will have very advanced avionics, even more so then the F-35. Even if it doesn't drop bombs while unmanned it will relay a very highly detailed picture of the battle space to everything else on the network for dissemination and action.

The prelim design review suggests the B-21 will have much better stealth and far less IR signature then even the B2 and it will be faster. It will also probably carry a version of the New HARM -ER missile that suppresses enemy radars. This new missile will be even faster and have a far more capable seeker including a mm-wave radar able to hunt and locate targets on its own based on radar returns so theres no hiding from it and even if you move the radar it will also have an IR capability which will help it find the moving vehicle.

Imagine a drone B-21 flying around chucking out these HARM-ER missiles? It will be like the Iraqi's afraid to turn their radars on again.

Now the F-35 can get up to 30 to 40 miles of the S-400 before its detected and with a new, very smart and fast, anti radiation missile with a range of 120 miles you can see the problem the radar operators will have. The B21 will be able to get even closer, already the Israeli's are flying their F-35s in and around Syria with impunity. Nobody can change the Laws of physics.

15. ray9898

ray9898

Times change....needs change.

16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

17. Tomcat1977

Many of the three types of heavy bombers we have are undergoing upgrades. The Buffs are scheduled for wings, engines, and avionics but I don't know if the work has started yet. A new AESA radar, Link 16 connectivity, digital full color displays, new engines, new wings, it will almost be a new airplane that will fly into the 2050's.

The bone's are just shot. They have been used a lot and in a manner that has heavily stressed the airframe. The good thing about the bone is it can spin around crapholes like Afghanistan for a long loiter and then buzz in at high speed when needed bringing in more hurt then any bomber in History. The bad thing about these missions is slow speed, wing forward, extended flight puts a lot of stress on a bomber designed to go in fast and low, wings back, carrying special weapons.

Still some of them are being upgraded. Many of the older ones will be stripped for parts and sent to the bone yard. The B1b was always a problem child to keep flyable and I'd bet 1/2 will never fly again. A structural exam of the b1b fleet was just done and the results were not good.

The B2 we only have 20 of. That only a bakers 1/2 dozen would be ready for flight/fight should come as no surprise. B2's are being upgraded too with B-21 level avionics that are incredible and Top Secret. All 3 have platforms down for maintenance at any given time. All 3 have airframes used strictly for training. And bad timing that all 3 are being upgraded at the same time.

Either way were screwed for the time being. And now some 3rd world country that craps in holes in the ground wrecks a major oil installation with cheap drones even we can't defend against? God help us if a "everything's for free" Demokrat gets in again.

18. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I was a weapons loader. We were only qualified on one airframe.

19. Bus007

Bus007

I was a 462 also, at Kunsan, i was on the 35th SLC crew, i was certified on our F16s. I was also certified to load MK 82s on ROK F4s and F5s and qualed to reload ammo in them. Some SLC and LSC crews are dual certified.

G19Tony likes this.
  20. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit