USAF needs bombers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tomcat1977, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Deltic

Deltic

At the time it made some sense.

2. Deltic

Deltic

Yes but they have less range.

3. Deltic

Deltic

A few thousand may be a bit high, well over a thousand easy.

4. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

What's the point of that tech debt? Spend trillions to build/sustain modern bombers to drop dumb bombs? We have better means of destruction now.

Plus, cyber is the new front anyways.

5. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

If we get down to dropping tactical Nukes out of B52’s, it seems to me that the apocalypse has effectively happened.

ETA, it looks like there are some applications for carrying cruise misses long distances.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/why-americas-enemies-still-fear-the-b-52-bomber-17899

Perhaps a cost effective use for any worn-out B52’s would be dedicating them as permanent additions to the nuclear arsenal. Sure they might not fly, but with adequate OPSEC could bring just as an effective deterrent factor as their functional counterparts.

6. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

For whatever it is worth, I was just talking to an Airman at Nellis, he works the flightline on 35's and 15's, and he said they do not deploy. Hmm......I would think if the SHTF, you would go wherever the needs were, then again, there could be very valuable assets in the LV area.

7. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

I's be concerned if it wasn't damn near 2020, and every other military in the world wasn't in worse condition than ours.

No one is going to attack us, they don't have the ability to do so and survive the retaliation.

evlbruce, WT and IamtheNRA like this.
  8. banger

banger

I really hate to be the adult in the room but.....

The number of manned aircraft bombers is limited by the SALT and SALT 2 treaties.

Included in the treaty is the number of land based I,C,B,M,'s along with the number of S.S.B.M.'s the type of missiles, and the number of warheads on each missile.

When we tear up the treaty and begin to build more bombers..... what do you think the Russians will do.

You will have another 1960's style arms race on your hands.

Where the treaty failed is.... no one at the time factored in the rise of china.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    WT likes this.
  9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    We’re not there now. We’ve exposed all sorts of issues with drone to ground combat.

The claim that we are ready to replace manned aircraft entirely with UAV’s now is laughably incorrect. Much less 20 years ago.

Might come a day that it happens, but it sure isn’t today.

TBO likes this.
  10. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

Heres the thing. Heavy bombers can go anywhere in the world and they can do it after launching from America. That and they carry a lot of bomb. A LOT of bombs. A lot of smart bombs even by just sticking inexpensive GPS tail kits on dumb bombs.

Stealth bombers are extremely difficult to detect and even more difficult to get a target grade lock on. Remember the B2 has no verticle tails or wings unlike stealth fighters and have 8,000 mile range while carrying roughly the same as the B1b internally.

Actually the B2 was originally designed to be a very high altitude bomber but USAF got nervous stealth wouldn't last so they redesigned it to be capable of low level penetration too, which was a mistake. The B-21 will be strictly a high Altitude Bomber which means it will be far stealthier, faster, and even the best AA defenses will be incapable of getting target locks on it. Add to that it will be a flying computer, if its even manned at all, and will be loaded with EW hardware and decoys.

So a B-21 flying at 60,000' and 630 mph will be able to chuck out dozens of dumb bombs with tail kits with MM wave radar tri mode seekers which will be able to take out the entire air defense battery and then some. A few B1b's took an entire Syrian airbase out of action "the punitive nerve gas strike" by flying from Texas, or maybe Guam, and tossing some JASSM-ERs out well outside detection range and the 600+ mile missiles took out individual aircraft, hangars, and buildings even tho the Syrians knew they were coming. Israel has been flying circles in and around Syria, which has some of the best Russian AA gear, with their F-35I's and 4'th Gen with EW.

The Raider will carry everything from B-61-12 nukes, a dozen at a time, the new stealthy long range nuclear cruise missile, the new hypersonics, new anti-ship missiles, and everything in between. ALL of the ordinance smart munitions, and a lot of them, while remaining almost impossible to detect. If we had 100 of them right now you think Iran would be causing trouble?

Thats what heavy bombers bring to the table.

11. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

To any nation that doubts our military capabilities, I just have one thing to say...come at us, bro!

glock1097 and JohnnyReb like this.
  12. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

You speak very highly about what an airplane that doesn’t exist yet can do.

Deanster and TBO like this.
  13. DAKA

DAKA

Nuclear SUBS....(who knows where they are)

14. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Nellis’s squadrons conduct weapons and tactics training for the rest of the Air Force. Their squadrons stay home because they’re the instructors for everyone else.

Bus007 and LEO/Dad like this.
  15. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

What job does this young man have, that he works on two airframes. That's pretty unusual, I think.

jimcorbin likes this.
  16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

17. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I agree...strategic bombing is a relic of the past. There are too many technological advanced weapons that can do this cheaper, faster and with less risk to crew members.

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Well we're about to spend $50 billion+ on the next gen bomber so maybe you should tell the military bombers are relics.

LRS-B – the US Air Force’s next-generation bomber
    The B-1B and the B-52 bombers are expected to be phased out with the introduction of a new stealth bomber fleet in the 2020s. The US Air Force issued its request for proposals in July for the Long Range Strike Bomber (LRS-B), with Northrop Grumman and a Boeing/Lockheed Martin team thought to be in contention.

"The next-gen bomber is absolutely essential to the future of US power projection," said Paul Scharre, a fellow at the Center for a New American Security. "A foundation for credible deterrence is the ability to strike someone, and the [LRS-B] will sustain that capability for the future."

In recent years, the US Air Force’s bomber fleet has proven itself in a number of warzones including Iraq, Afghanistan and the intervention in Libya. As shown with the 2013 mission to Korea, US bombers continue to be a valuable deterrence asset as well. Commanders will hope that upgrades to the B-1B, B-2 and B-52 will continue their combat effectiveness and deterrence capabilities for years to come.

https://www.airforce-technology.com...-fleet-upgraded-for-the-21st-century-4332874/

19. army_eod

army_eod US Army Retired, EOD, PM, PMP

Our readiness is s h I t and I agree with the author.
    Our procurement/acquisition is more than broken. We piss away more money that is even imaginable. I see govt civilians by the ton who do nothing and get paid huge dollars.
    I have zero faith in our ability to fight anybody.
    Ask me how I know.

mc1911 likes this.
  20. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Since the military has been fighting the longest constant war in US history, without a draft, they certainly seem capable of fighting.

Deltic likes this.