USAF 1951 Searching for Historian

Discussion in 'The US Air Force Forum' started by mywheels, Aug 9, 2020.

1. mywheels

mywheels

I recently purchased a 1951 Chevrolet Panel. It has military markings and an Airforce contract number on the dash plate. I would like to find which base the vehicle was stationed at, and its primary purpose. Does anyone recognize the crossed field gun insignia on the dash plate? As a civilian, where can I go to research the history of this vehicle?

Attached Files:

2. flyover

flyover

I can't see the emblem very well but crossed cannon generally denote artillery. I recognize the emblem but don't remember what it represents. Best of luck on your research.

3. mywheels

mywheels

Here's a better picture of the crossed field guns on the dash plate.

Attached Files:

4. flyover

flyover

I opened and magnified that image. I know I have seen it somewhere before. I just can't remember where.:fist:

5. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

I believe the crossed cannons is one version of the U.S. Army Ordnance Corps insignia.

The acronym MTC can have several different meanings in military-speak, but I found in the mid-50s it was used to refer to the Medical Training Center at Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) in San Antonio, TX. Perhaps the truck was originally purchased/used by the Air Force at nearby Kelly Field or Lackland Air Force Base, and was later transferred to BAMC for use in their Medical Training Center there (which would sync with the "MTC" being added to the data plate at a later date).

6. mywheels

mywheels

Many thanks for the replies! The vehicle is located in WA state. I would love to know how it got here. I see 4 different paint colors on the rig. Blue, green, red, and orange. Blue for Air Force, green for Army?, red for ?, and orange for Department of the Interior. In searching for the places you mentioned above, I found a few historical photos that show what my panel would have looked like. It had a siren mounted to the driver's front fender, which is missing now. I would love to find one!

Attached Files:

DJ Niner and pgg00 like this.
  7. flyover

flyover

I'm guessing red might have been the a base fire department.

DJ Niner likes this.
  8. mywheels

mywheels

That's a good point. I'm curious to see what I find as I work my way down through the layers of paint. Hopefully there's some wording under all the paint.

DJ Niner and flyover like this.
  9. Firecop203

Firecop203

The symbol looks like Springfield Armory.

10. mtidaflash

mtidaflash

That is the Ordnance Department acceptance cartouche.

11. mywheels

mywheels

Thank you to both of you! That is a vital piece of information. Doing a quick search for that term returns a lot of promising info! Does anyone know if the MTC mark would be connected to the Ordnance Department also, or might it have come from a different department?
    As stated above, the vehicle has at least 4 different paint jobs, implying that it worked for at least 4 different government agencies. The last being the Dept. Of the Interior.

12. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

No help here.

Thank God, 1951 was WAY before my time in the AF.

DJ Niner likes this.