USA vs Austrian Made Frames

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TedG954, Feb 22, 2010.

1. TedG954

TedG954

Other than the location of where they were made, is there any real difference between a frame that is made in Georgia vs a frame that is "Made in Austria"?

2. legion3

legion3

Probably not, however I prefer a "true" Austrian made Glock. So far US made frames have seemed to hold up but who knows in the long run. I prefer Italian made Beretta's and US made Colts.

Sig's made in America have had some issues as compared to the German made guns but I'm not a sig guy so I can only pass on what I have read.

Made in America is not always a statement of quality these days. But then again quality seems to be slipping on many products wherever they're made.

When I buy a car I look at non-US makers lots first.

3. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I don't know if there is a difference but I prefer and will only buy the Made in Austria ones.

4. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Just out of curiosity I checked my NGS prefix Glock 17 that I got last June, the casing envelope indicates a collection date of 5/20/09, and it has all Austrian markings. I would still keep it if it had American marking because 1) Function and accuracy have been flawless at the range and 2) I am not going to assume, based on internet speculation, that American workers are too stupid to be trained to properly manufacture injection molded frames. People can, and do, cherry pick problems like Beretta slide separation, West German Sig frames cracking or 40 caliber Glock kabooms and try to draw others into inferring that the entire company output sucks. When I see credible evidence that American made Glock frames suck then I will take note, until then all I have seen is speculation on the matter.

I have four Exeter Sigs that were made after the Anti Christ (according to the chicken littles) Cohen took over the company and all four are 100% reliable and accurate. I trust my own experience much more than I take stock in internet speculation about all new Sigs sucking.

5. JBJ16

JBJ16

The markings. It is marked with the Austrian NPv mark. Not only on the frame, but also the slide and barrel. NPv is short for Nitro Powder Proofing IIRC. USA glocks are devoid of these markings. And instead of Glock Inc., Smyrna Georgia you have Glock Ges.MBH on the frame IIRC.

NPv's. That is what's stamped on my Austrian G31

6. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

There is no difference.

My US framed 17 has been 100% reliable for thousands of rounds now.

7. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

It's funny how the 1911 guys put emphasis on "Made in the USA" and some Glock guys just the opposite!

8. tx787

tx787

I think it's because a lot of people like to buy things where to were invented or where they are "supposed to be made." An American 1911 is preferable to say a Brazilian 1911 just as a German Sig is preferable to an American Sig.

I would think the same thing holds true for other tools like German BMWs being preferable to American BMWs and American Fords being preferable to Mexican Fords.

However, as long as the plant is run by the parent company there shouldn't be a quality difference in theory. I.E. Ford plants in Mexico run by Ford and BMW plants in SC run by BMW. This isn't true when the work is contracted out or imported, so a S&W made Walther or a HS made XD are third party and need to be evaluated differently from a Glock factory in the US ran by Glock or a Beretta factory in the US run by Beretta.

9. Girevik61

Girevik61

Amen Brother !!

10. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member

11. bithabus

bithabus

I believe that's false. The NPv guns are assembled in Austria, while all Glocks except those that say only "Glock Inc Smyrna GA" on the frame are made in Austria. Most Glocks sold in US say "made in Austria" on the frame, indicating that it is made in Austria.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along to explain better.

12. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

The American-made frames are likely made with newer equipment.

13. busadude

busadude

this is what im thinking also ...??:dunno:

14. table

table

just curious, my 26 is made in Austria and what does that little symbol mean on the barrel next to the Glock symbol? its a 5 sided thing?

15. RBL525

RBL525

it is a mark to show what the bore pattern is. hexogonal rifling....

16. ducati

ducati

I have a G17 that is made in the USA. This is one of the first US made. It is my IDPA gun, I can't tell the difference from my other 8 Glocks..

17. nedfolks

nedfolks

I prefer Austrian made.