US Forest Service admits putting surveillance cameras on public lands

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Atlas, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

2. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Maybe I'm alone, but this doesn't bother me.

3. Naelbis

Naelbis

Probably there to look for drug growers. Seems like a waste of money to me, although it could be handy if someone got assaulted there.

4. ctaggart

ctaggart

I don't believe there is any expectation of privacy on public lands. Just because it's in the middle of nowhere does not mean it's any different than a camera on the corner of a city block. You don't own that land, you haven't established residency there. Sure, it's creepy as hell to learn that you've been camping there with your family and some dude is on the other end watching you. I'll agree with you there, but I don't think the Forest Service is breaking any laws by placing that camera where it is.

Take note: These are just my observations and thoughts on the lawfulness of placing the camera, I am not advocating it.

5. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

That's my thought.

I hope nobody informs Herman about Google Earth.

6. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

You mean I don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy, in the middle of the woods, that I don't own?

Gosh, who woulda thunk it?

My only problem with it is cost. I hunt pretty much every chance I get. As such, I'm fairly familiar with scout cams that have wireless capability. They're not cheap. That's my issue - the expense of the camera versus the chance of catching people committing crimes. Not to mention the theft issues. I've lost a $400 Leaf River digital in the woods....while the wireless capability would allow the Feds to have pics of the thieves, unless they live in the area, the taxpayers are gonna be out a chunk of change.

I've looked into this very type of camera for my land, but can't justify the expense at the moment. Trespassers on private land are going to be easier to catch than a random guy who steals a trailcam in a National Forest. The folks who trespass on private land typically live nearby, and will likely be known to local LE; folks in a national forest, not so much.

7. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Well... I am not in your camp... I do have an issue with it. I go out into the woods to get away and be alone. To get away from technology. It's one thing to be watched in the city (which I don't agree with either) but out in the woods? Nope I have issues. I find any well... :whistling:

8. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Actually we do own it as citizens, the government works for us, we pay taxes. Way I see it, I own it just as much as the next law abiding tax paying citizen. And like my home I treat it with respect and clean up after myself. More than I can say many I see out there... :upeyes:

9. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Watching a child go to the bathroom would be illegal. I wonder if anyone else thought of that.

10. Adjuster

Adjuster

Happening across a child going to the bathroom on public property is illegal??? Yeh maybe for the child committing 'indecent exposure'. Put them on the sexual predator list. I am sure I know your intent with the statement but that doesn't make it correct.

11. RioKid

RioKid

This, or poachers.

I don't have a problem with cameras being used to catch a bad guy.

12. wprebeck

Ok, we "own" it in a general sense. Not in any legal sense that means anything. If that's the case, then I'd like my A-10, F/A-18D, B-2, and a retired SR-71. I can take delivery immediately.

13. wprebeck

Actually, the child using the restroom in the woods would technically be the illegal act. I'm fairly sure that, while most of us DO poop in the woods, it's still not legal to do so, and a charge of indecent exposure would be appropriate, although stupid.

14. Bado

Bado

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  15. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Same could be said for cameras on buildings. Or heck, even inside stores. I know I peed in a toilet on display at a store when I was a youngin'. Of course I didn't really know any better. Saw a toilet and had to pee.

Now, if the person who watched the tape happened to keep the clip for their private collection or something, that's another story.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  16. MadeInAmerica

MadeInAmerica

How long will it take for the pictures/video of a couple having sex in the woods to hit the internet?
    If its on public property it should be posted.

17. Glock-it-to-me

Your correct about my intent as I stated it wrong. A camera isn't "happening" upon someone answering the call of nature while out in the forest.

18. farley45

farley45

I don't like it one bit.

19. Glock-it-to-me

So what do you poop in while out camping and miles from the nearest restroom? Indecent exposure to whom? Bullwinkle?

20. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

i got a problem with it, when more and more government BS is tolerated then its not long til bigbrother is in our house!!! and its about like that now . we go camping alot , mostly to islands off coast of nc but if i come across any of these items they will be jerked down . i dont give a **** , using oh it might catch criminals is BS . and only means down the road more liberties invaded because of them aka criminals ??? so we loose our privacy ? **** em