close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Urgent care center

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by certifiedfunds, Jan 17, 2010.

1. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I'm at one of those doc-Ina-box places to beg for a steroid injx to clear up the crud in my head.

It's one of those that only takes cash or private insurance. $100 for the visit.

I sure am greatful that these places exist. Nice and clean, quick, convenient. I hate to think of what will happen to them if this healthcare bill passes. I expect it will become much more expensive and clogged up with patients like the ER. What a shame.

ETA: just got jabbed with the dexamethasone. Sweet goodness.

2. migm

migm

Absolutely. We need more places like this that fit niches that take the load off emergency departments.

3. shavedape

shavedape

What's wrong with your head that an injection clears it up? Sinuses? :dunno:

4. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Until they turn you away with a migraine, telling you to go to the ER when they're perfectly capable of providing the same (or, in many cases, better) care in less time. :upeyes:

5. migm

migm

This is probably liability -- you need to be checked out more carefully for a migraine as the differential diagnosis for this includes increased cerebral pressure (cancer, hemorrhage, etc) that must be ruled out. It's not that they can't provide the care, it's because they are worried about the unlikely but highly dangerous pathologies that a migraine may indicate.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Except that my wife has a well documented history of migraines and she had her records with her when we went.

7. migm

migm

With respect, in that case I do not know. I assume you asked why they refused to treat -- what did they say?

8. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

They just said that we need to go to an ER if she's in that much pain.

My assumption is that they have the same thought that a lot of ER staff have, that "chronic migraine" is code for "drug seeker".

9. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Places like that can come in handy. I had to go to one that was the only authorized place for my yearly "pee-test" for my job. Nice new place out by the mall.

As luck (maybe bad luck) would have it, about a week later I had to take my buddy there when he drove two hooks of a striper sized Rapala into and through the web of hand between the thumb and finger. (The big baby wouldn't let me just cut off the barbs and pull the hooks back out.:supergrin:)

Anyway...75 bucks lighter ( I had to load him the cash) we were back on the river in about 45 minutes. (after we stopped at the ATM so he could pay me back) We even got loli-pops from the nurse praticioner and the lure back without the hooks being damaged!:supergrin:

Knocking on wood, and hope I don't need to go there anytime in the near future, but they do indeed fill a spot for the minor, common boo-boos and medical care.

10. migm

migm

I am really sorry you had such a crappy experience. At my medical school, we are taught to look for specific signs that may indicate drug-seeking behavior. Otherwise, we are taught to believe our patients and to give them the benefit of the doubt when they say they are in pain. One thing that was clear from our discussions, however, that this is most certainly not the way other physicians were taught.

11. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I think a lot of it has to do with how few people have had an honest-to-god ballbreaking migraine (like I had on Friday, and like my wife has several times a month).

It's hard to believe that someone's in that much pain when there's not blood geysering everywhere.

I guess I can't hold that against them, but it vexes me that someone with that much formal training would let their own assumptions trump what they see in front of their eyes.

12. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

We tried one of those several times, not one time did they correctly diagnose the problem, they either over or under diagonsed every single time, including a neighbors daughter who had to have her arm rebroken and reset because they said it was sprained. They finally closed it.

We have a family doctor for routine care and use the ER for emergencies.

I'm glad to know that there are good ones.

13. trifecta

trifecta

The one we use is great. They have online check in so you don't have to sit in the waiting room for long. XRay machine for to assess fractures and the can put the temporary cast on. Cheaper, faster, closer to home and competent care. It works great for us.

14. paperairplane

paperairplane

The big difference is you are going to see a PA most times and not a MD. You have one or two MD's on duty with a half dozen PA's...

Funny, I don't think I have ever been to an urgent care where I did not leave with a scrip for a Z pack...

Diagnosis - forget that, take some wide spectrum antibiotics and call me next week.

15. community

community Member

never been to one. Always can go to my PCP: Personal Care Physician.

16. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Yep. I was at the lake many years ago riding a stand up JetSki when a boater tried to kill me. Literally hunted me down and ran me over. His bow was up and I assume he was drunk and it could have just been coincidence, but it split my leg open nonetheless. The wetsuit held me together long enough to get to one of those places. Several dozen stitches later and a few hundred bucks and I was good as new. I hate to think how they would have raped me at the ER.

17. certifiedfunds

Learn the Snatch Method of hook removal.

http://www.texasgulfcoastfishing.com/hook_removal.html

18. certifiedfunds

I've had the opposite experience. I've had difficulty getting what I wanted a couple of times (antibiotics, injection). This particular one isn't staffed by PA's but moonlighting residents, primarily. Once we saw an honest to goodness seasoned ER doc.

19. certifiedfunds

It is Sunday and the wife said, "You better get yourself in gear for tomorrow somehow."

BTW, the cortisone is rockin already.

20. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

This is true. My family has Migraines and my younger daughter hasn't gotten decent treatment for the above reason. I simply out lived it. My usual response for 50 years was: Yes I have headaches too>>>>>>>>>> I could never find a doctor that had Migraines to get someone with an understandfing.