close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Urban observation?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by emt1581, Jul 15, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Anyone have any thoughts on making observations during a SHTF?

What I mean is, during a SHTF, does anyone have any thoughts or experience in gaining information by getting to certain locations and watching BG's, the public, emergency responders, etc. in order to help themselves in some way?

During ROL times this might range from being nosey to being a peeping tom. But when things have gone wrong, learning what certain groups are up to might be a life saver from an S&P standpoint...no?

I don't know about the rest of you but I've got zero experience sneaking around and trying to blend in with the landscape. So I can't contribute much. Just curious to see what the rest of yall think about the issue.

Thanks

-Emt1581

2. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

RECON. Gathering intelligence (information). You don't sneak around. You "blend in" and don't draw attention to yourself.

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

What about in developments, neighborhoods, remote places, etc.?

If you are walking down the street, dog or no dog, you are noticed here...especially by the nosey elders who are constantly plastered to their windows....no offense to anyone. And that is in GOOD times. In bad times when everyone may be hypersensitive...how do you "blend in" to gain intel.?

-Emt1581

4. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

There are so many variables. Google "grey man".

5. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

You won't learn that on the internet. Uncle Sam spends millions teaching guys how to do it, A FEW do it well.

You won't learn it on line. Not going to happen.

6. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

RC helicopters with cameras. Maybe RC trucks, but that can be risky. The ground game is always more dangerous. You have to be careful not to have tire tracks leading back to your basecamp/headquarters.

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm not calling BS here but it is a rare thing to see that something cannot be taught online. They do entire college doctorates. I've learned to do things I never dreamed possible.

But I suppose there may be a few things which written word cannot teach.

I'd think they could at least talk about it or put it into words even if the skills can't be taught online....

-Emt1581

8. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Just one of many, many points. Vetting.

Intel masters can move through a community without being noticed because they ARE part of the community. We insert people into a community years before they are needed.

One example I personally know of just for a three week, joint service training exercise. We inserted a few guys 18 months ahead of the exercise so they could gather intel.

18 months out, guys with the right look and language skills got extra training about the local culture and made several trips to visit. They made friends and found a room with a local to rent. Then they found jobs at local restaurants and bars. By the time the exercise went down they were essentially locals.

No one thought twice about them and they picked up every loose word dropped by the people involved in the exercise.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. It is part art, part science. On line you can pick up some tips but if you had ever worked with intel freaks you would know how unrealistic your request is.

9. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

You are not talking about an online diploma mill. You are talking about the deepest, darkest secrets of our top alphabet agencies.

10. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Most correct.

11. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Build a compartment inside your hot dog cart and no one will ever know your are there. Oh yeah, line it with ballistic panels.

12. garyo

garyo Millennium Member

Unless I was part of a very large, well stocked group, I would not bother. Instead, I would be spending most of my time evaluating my own situation and planning.

13. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

At a certain point I can see the need for a little recon and unless people are openly shooting at each other you can do it. Just act normal and be yourself (CCW of course) and walk around in the daylight and see what you want to see.

Don't go out at night because people are afraid of the dark and if you are walking around at night they will be afraid of you and wondering what you're doing that you are willing to be out at night, alone. You might get a reaction that you would not get in the daylight.

Of course if you own the night it's a different story.

15. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I don't think it is a skill that can be taught.

For some reason, my dad is remembered by everyone. He goes into a resteraunt once and they remember what he ordered when he comes back. He goes to a foreign country and 10 years later goes back and sees the same officials, and they remember him. He is just that type of person.

I am the other type of person for the most part. I go get deep inside someone's organization. Go through a list of controls. Grab documentation. Document what I see. I am forgotten a few days later as if I have never been there. I have gone to the same resteraunt a couple hundred times, and no one there recognizes me or remembers what I ordered.

I will go on to say this isn't about physical appearance. I am a fairly large guy (Tall and FAT). My dad is smaller than I am (short and not so fat). I am not ugly or hansom. Neither is my dad.

This may be something about the way we dress, then not so much. I dress appropriately. So does my dad. If I wore a Hawaiian shirt to a meeting where everyone wore suits....I would be remembered. I am sure I am remembered in the building I am in, because I am the only one riding a bicycle to work and I walk it in, shower and change into business cloths.

EMT, the question I have for you walking your dog, being seen by old nosey people. Will you be remembered the next day or not?

If you want to have fun, infiltrate a larger family reunion in the park some day. Bring Jello. Eat their burgers. Talk to aunt Sally. Make up a life for yourself. Learn how to lie. And if you get caught, you were at the wrong family reunion, have your wife call and tell you, you are at the wrong reunion.

16. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Body language and eye contact determine if people remember you if you look reasonably normal.

17. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

That is part of it.

(I have done some research because of what I do for a living. I can be remembered if I want to be remembered, but most of the time I am better off being able to be forotten five minutes after I am gone.)

18. bdcochran

bdcochran

EMT - I had the professional instruction in animal tracking, mantracking, cameo, etc.

No, you can not learn from an online tutorial.

I say again, you cannot learn from an online tutorial.

If you have about 10 feet of human tracks, you can usually tell the sex, injuries, right or left handed, winded, weight, watching the back trail. You don't learn that on a tutorial. I was trained by the former head of the Rhodesian Army Scouts.

Once I was blocked in by a new Cadillac. The guy failed to give his keys to the attendant. The attendant didn't remember the guy. Announcements were made - no response.

I was trained. I simply looked at the car and the contents. I knew that it would be a white male, weighing about 240 pounds and standing about 6'4" tall. I went into the store and tracked by looking at shoes and walked right up to the guy. You don't learn that with an online tutorial.

You can learn how to change your cabin filter in your Avalon or how to use your skihl chainsaw safely on youtube, but not the areas that you asking about. You need field time and dirt time. You will not have the time because you have a hotdog cart and have committed all of your Saturdays and Sundays.

19. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

i would be very suspicious if someone rolled an unidentified hot dog cart into my neighborhood. i would observe it and try to photograph it, and see what it was up to. i've never seen one before but have heard about them, i wish someone would post a picture of it so i could better ID it. these photos are said to exist but never appear.

I am highly suspicious. But thats how I roll.

20. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5

Three words of wisdom regarding intelligence gathering in an urban environment:

HOT DOG CART