uptimes

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by grantglock, Apr 8, 2005.

1. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

I'll start, no cheating.

my longest running linux server:

root@ipcop:~ # uptime
    12:25pm up 294 days, 4:11, 1 user, load average: 0.43, 0.16, 0.04

my Cisco router

br-gw uptime is 2 years, 3 weeks, 6 days, 19 hours, 57 minutes

2. bohr

bohr rm -rf /

My longest was 101 days on a Redhat server. I tweaked the kernel and was forced, by Kernel Panic, to reboot. Currently, I am at 47 days.

3. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

@ work Fedora Core

16:23:24 up 9 days, 16:17, 2 users, load average: 0.36, 0.31, 0.27

but we had to replace some network harware. I never checked before that. :(

school's server Solaris:

3:29pm up 111 day(s), 13:32, 47 users, load average: 2.78, 3.12, 3.28

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I just had a power outage that lasted longer than the UPSs (6 hours) at one site and went though an upgrade at another, WOOHOO!!

It pained me to reboot one machine with a 625 day uptime.

Standard is about 200 days.

I am at about 40 days on the one site for just about all of them.

DanH

5. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Laptop (Windows 2000 pro) 55 days 20 hours 41 minutes 36 seconds

Server (Windows 2000 advanced server) 61 days 21 hours 38 minutes 43 seconds

Mothers computer (Windows 2000 pro) 67 days 7 hours 47 minutes 34 seconds

This computer crashed last night, so no point mentioning the uptime :p

My server went to over 250 days but one of the HD's overheated and caused a system error so I had to shut it down. It now has a fan to cool the drives so it should hopefully do fine. I'm trying to find the log that says exactly how long it went but am not having any luck.

6. lomfs24

lomfs24

Currently the longest uptime I have is only 11 days. We had a power outage the other day that bested my UPS. My longest uptime seems to be about 60 days. And it's not because anything crashed but because I want play on it and do something. Then I will end up rebooting because I don't know all the commands to restart something without rebooting.

7. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

same on my osX machines - I restart after patches and updates, just to make sure it will restart correctly - if I see uptimes over 30 days or so, I know I need to check for updates.

8. Deathwind

Deathwind

It's running Linux 2.4.x though, so the uptime will wrap around to 0 at around 497.1 days. ;g

9. frefoo

frefoo

I watched an HP-UX server hit 1000 days at work about 2 months ago. I wanted to throw a party when it happened.

It is still counting uptime (sad to say) since it needs to be patched badly.

I can’t take it down (mgmt) despite the policy that all servers must be patched every 6 months.

10. BLiTzNicK

BLiTzNicK Silent Member

When we went to reboot our Novell machines this summer, several of them had been up for over 300 days. I can't give you an exact time, since I didn't make a note of it.

11. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

All windows systems get patched once a month, wo they all get rebooted once a month.

As far as long term uptime, I came across a novel system that had been drywalled over, so the only thing sticking throught the wall was the coax cable. I was told the drywalling happened 3 years prior, so..? How long had it been up?

I think I have a linux system in my basement doing nothing that has been up at least a year, but I am not there and it is doing nothing.

12. frefoo

frefoo

Yep that Novell Server was at the University Of North Carolina

If I remember correctly it was Novell 3.12 which was a very rock solid OS. Back in the day, when I had to manage 50 or so of them (with my co-workers), they never crashed (abend in Novell terms). I can remember one due to bad hardware and 1 to the CD jukebox software I think it was called Discport?

The one cool thing (back in the 3.12 day) about the OS was when it abend'ed you did not have to reboot to bring it back on-line you could enter the debugger (left-shift, right-shift, ctrl, esc) find out what caused the abend correct it and bring the server back on-line.

Here is a small note about the UNC Novell Server that was walled up for 4 years.

13. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Hmm, looks like there is more than one that was walled up. The one I found was not at a University, it was at a large corporation. We found IPX packets (or was it SPX packets) going across our "secure" network and traced the packets back to this server.

14. blake711

blake711 Pro-Fesh-U-Nawl

everything in my enviorment is dell servers that have no internet connection. I have 2k and 2k3 servers 2650 chasis'mainly.. when I started there were 2k machines that were up for over a year. Mind you they had never been patched updated or anything. Since then I patch everything monthly and I take servers offline every three months in certain enviorments so that I can blow them out. I had a couple that were in a dirty enviorment that I swear had 1/8th of an inch of dust on inside the whole chaisis.. What a mess. After cleaning a couple servers it was amazing how much the chasis temp dropped. Oh well such is life working in an area where you followed up a person that had ZERO maintance routines.. So as of now I don't have anything over a month of uptime.

I did used to work in a place that had lots of 4.11 novel servers and they were rock solid. Many Servers easliy over a year of uptime.

15. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

how about them days.... internet connected dell poweredge 350 :)

only rebooted to do one kernel patch - otherwise... app patches on the fly.

FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE (GENERIC) #0: Tue Jun 11 06:14:12 GMT 2002
    %w
    4:29PM up 725 days, 4:15, 0 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE WHAT

16. fade2black

fade2black USMC Veteran

I had an HP-UX server hit 797 days before it was taken offline for good. I have a screenshot of it in my office as none of my Windows servers would ever make it that long. :)

17. frefoo

frefoo

You must give us/me more details on the walled up Novell server.

What you are saying is that there are now 2 Novell servers that have been forgotten.

The first occurrence made history...the 2nd occurrence WOW

18. frefoo

frefoo

While I have posted about an HP-UX server hitting 1000 days and a Novell Server running for 4 years.

IMO uptimes don’t really mean a thing unless you factor in the load on a server.

I can set up a Novell/SGI/Sun/HP/Linux/Windows server that does nothing and achieve a great uptime.

My laptop has an uptime of 8 hours. That does not mean it "failed" I simply shut it down so I could go home.

That being said if uptime = performance and then SGI would be my choice.

The fact the people need to reboot servers every 30 days is sad (what part of Mission Critical) did people forget?

In the past it was the Mainframe that was the workhorse and stable.

Today it is equipment from EMC/IBM/HDS that do the work and have great uptimes compared to performance.

A server will go down for a reason however I only saw one EMC/HDS/IBM unit really fail.

19. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

I just took down a Compaq Deskpro dual PPro 180 running RedHat Enterprise that had been up for 249 days because I had to move my office (to nicer digs).

When I used to work for Diamond Multimedia, I had an NT 4 server that had been running for over a year when I took it down.

20. MixedBag

MixedBag

Here is one from an F5 at work(BIG IP Load Balancer - BSD based):

ahcpabip001:~# uptime
    11:39AM up 1065 days, 15:37, 1 user, load averages: 2.09, 2.18, 2.20
    ahcpabip001:~# :cool: