close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

upset with old friend....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bdhawk, Mar 7, 2012.

1. bdhawk

bdhawk

i have known this guy and have been proud to call him a friend for over 40 years. he is my FFL, he taught my first concealed carry class, and he is one helluva gunsmith. one would be hard pressed to find someone better with S&W revolver action/trigger work.

this morning, i received a text from him. he said not to send him any more 90 year old guys that only wanted to talk. he also said," i am not working on guns anymore." which was news to me.

the 90 year old guy [he was 89 then] came to me about a year and a half ago. extremely polite, he wanted to shoot on my range. he had a couple of .45, 1911s, he wanted to shoot. i welcomed him, and we set up a time. he showed up with a really nice, tricked out springfield 1911 in combat comander guise, and a sweet detonics scoremaster. he wanted to shoot at 15 yards and shot tennis ball groups. he was very respectful of my range rules, and was very safe. i did have to remind him to put his muffs back on a couple of times. when he finished, he could not thank me enough. i told him he was welcome, anytime. i found out later, from his son-in-law, that he was a WWII hero, awarded two bronze stars.

a week or so later, he contacted me, wanting to shoot again. i was honored to have him shoot on my range. i did not mention his WWII service. he was a bit of a talker, but i enjoyed every moment of it. when he finished shooting, he wanted recomendation of a gunsmith to work on another 1911 he had that i had not seen. i told him of my friend and gave him contact information. remember, this friend has a FFL and has a gun repair business.

well the 90 year old war hero talked too much, or something, and my friend is POed. totally out of character for my friend.

i texted my friend back, told him of the old guy's hero status, reciptient. i also said i would abstain from sending him any more business.

i welcome the old timer to my range anytime, and hope he comes often. i don't care if he talks the leg off a chair, i will listen 'cause i respect him and his service to this country.

i am sure my friend and i will eventually work this out, and get past this. i hope so, anyway. he has been a treasured friend. i an kinda at a loss on how to procede, to get our friendship on the mend.

sorry 'bout any spelling errors, my spell check is acting wierd.

2. Averageman

Averageman

When you get old and most of your friends and family have passed, I hope you have built up the kharma to meet someone as patient as you were with this old guy.
    I enjoy talking to the old guys myself.
    Thanks for being respectful to him.

3. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

If your buddy has always been a straight up guy before this, perhaps he was just having a bad day. I will admit that I get slightly annoyed on even a good day when people just want to talk and not let me go when i need to.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

Texts can sometimes be misleading. Talk to your friend. He may have been joking about the old talkative guy and you read it as anger.

5. ray9898

ray9898

Maybe the guy just rubbed him the wrong way. It happens to all of us.

6. BK63

BK63

Have a talk with him. Either you read something else into his text, or talking to him will confirm it. I have had good friends over the years turn a complete 180 on me and I've never seen them again. It happens.

7. TX expat

TX expat

I agree, the problem with written communication is there is no chance to pick up subtle or dry attempts at humor. Not saying that's what this is, but the whole text could have been sent as a tongue in cheek type of joke and you simply misinterpreted his meaning. Of course there are some old folks that can make a penny scream for mercy, so maybe the polite old gentleman that you have experienced is not the same guy that your buddy encountered, since gun repairs can amount to significant sums of money.

Either way, I'd say that a face to face or phone conversation is the only good way to get to the bottom of it.