close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

UPS recommendations

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by cgwahl, Feb 21, 2005.

1. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

I am in the market for a UPS and am hoping someone here may know of a good one that doesn't have too huge of a pricetag on it.

Would like to spend no more than $60 to $75 if at all possible.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Energizer 650VA. I use it to protect my sig rig.
    [​IMG]

Retails for around $75 or so.

3. SmartOne

SmartOne GoingIn CoverMe

;Q APC 600 UPS. (American Power Conversion) Ten years of frequent use without a problem of any kind. ^c

(But, it's out of your price range!) ;P

4. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

I have an APC SmartUPS 1000. It has sine wave output and will keep my computer going for quite some time. I used it on Sunday when the power went out as "revenge" by playing my stereo really loud.

I picked it up used and it Works great.

CranialCrusader

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

I also have an APC SmartUPS 1000 and it has worked great. I also have a Minuteman 750 (I think) on my wifes computer that works good.

6. frefoo

frefoo

APC is the leader. I always use APC since I never had an issue with them back in the day when my servers were protected by a UPS and not a "battery room".

At home I use APC to condition my power to all of my electronics including my 51" TV

7. Rager

Rager

I have an Internet Office by Tripp that hasn't given me a lick of trouble for four years. I think it's rated 500va. US$100+ at the time, retail. It's setup for auto (unattended) shutdown, but I've never used the s/w.

Later, an APC Back Up Office, 500va. I think I got it from Sam's Club, but the battery was crapped. I don't necessarily point the finger at APC though, it could have been improperly handled or stored by Sam's. Perhaps frozen. (shrug)

3 or 4 days of hula dancing with APC and they sent a replacement battery, might have first class mail too. ;)

I'm satisfied with both of them though. If you're not familiar with ups s, never hang a laser printer on one. The instructions will say that 'first thing'.

8. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

APC!!!!

I bought an open box Backup 500 from a retailer a year ago because it was 50% off even though I didn't need it. I needed it about two weeks ago and when I tried to use it I found that it was dead. No response whatsoever. Pulled the paperwork and found that I had a two year warranty and also discovered that the unit was mfg'd back in 2002.

I called them up, discussed the issue, faxed a copy of the receipt to them, called them back; they are sending me a NEW unit and a UPS pickup slip for the old one. They didn't charge me before they sent the new one, they just sent it with the expectation that I will be honorable and ship the old one back to them.

Now, my experience with Tripp. I had a lightning strike outside the house in 1992 that wiped out a lot of electrical components in the house including my PC that was protected by a Tripp unit.

I had to fight with them for almost FOUR MONTHS before they finally cut me a check under their product "protection" guarantee. What a worthless company.
    :soap:

After that experience I have purchased nothing but APC products since 1993... for my PCs, stereos, televisions, etc. Anything that can reasonably use a backup or surge protection device on it has got an APC unit attached to it.
    ^c

9. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Even my backpack for laptop and electronics is made by APC. ;D