close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

UPS insurance question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by roar, Mar 29, 2010.

1. roar

roar .38 Special

When you get insurance for something that you are sending UPS, you should state the actual contents, instead of using a more vague description for privacy/theft deterrence...right?

Rifle parts instead of machine parts.

Just thinking of a possible reason that UPS might deny an insurance claim if something got stolen.

2. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I usually ship using Fedex and Fedex ground, but from my days shipping with UPS, I don't remember them ever asking for whats in the box (except for international).

Usually they just want the declared value. However when it comes time to file a claim, you better have a receipt for the value of the item in question.

3. hkozzzie

hkozzzie

+1 on this. We ship via UPS and Fedex all of the time. They do not ask for the contents unless something is damaged in shipping. They just want the declared value. And like Hamster said... you better have your receipt just in case :)

4. dukeofurl

dukeofurl

Forgive me for the idiot response but I have a UPS account - where do you have to declare the contents? I dont think I ever declared contents in all my years.

5. roar

roar .38 Special

Don't have a receipt anymore, but I can show where I bought it from, along with similar items...

I understand needing to actually have a receipt to prove that I once owned a missing item... should I just skip getting insurance? It's an AR-15 upper. I would hate for something to happen.

6. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

If you are really worried, take a picture of you putting it in the box, and print a page from a web-vendor showing the value. I once had to file a claim and used my the ebay auction printout as proof of value.

UPS really doesn't care what is in the package, they care about how much to pay out. If you insure a $5 item for $500, you'll only get $5 back. So have proof of the value of the items you send and you'll be fine.

Its definitely better to insure any item you can't afford to replace out of pocket.

7. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

PS, if you must something that needs to be insured. UPS and FedEx are MUCH easier to deal with than the Post office. Insurance claims with the post office take forever. A lost FedEx or UPS package can be reimbursed in a matter of days.

8. roar

roar .38 Special

This is a really great idea, thanks.

9. dfsutton

dfsutton US Veteran

This can't be true. Can it?

If i insure an item up to a certain value, then I expect to get that value if it is stolen or damaged.

If they let me buy $500 of insurance on a 5 buck item, then they batter pay me $500 of insurance.

10. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

And don't forget a little something that UPS doesn't make "common" knowledge. Every package shipped by them is automatically insured for $100.00. If you need more tell them, but if that'll do, ask them to be certain.

11. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I don't make the rules, I'm just telling you what they are.

Insurance is for replacement value of the item. I had a small mail order business I ran on the internet to pay for Grad school, over the two years I shipped hundreds of items. They only ever lost 2 items and damaged about 10.

In general they simply reimbursed me without asking questions. I guess for an item under $500 in value it is more cost effective to just pay. But the policy clearly states replacement value.

12. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Good point. I forgot to mention that. Same goes for FedEx

13. hkozzzie

hkozzzie

That would be called fraud. You are the idiot for buying $500 when you only needed $5. Don't try and game they system, it won't work. You get what the item is worth by proving it with a receipt.

14. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

You can only get what you can prove the item to be worth. My last insurance claim on UPS was for lost lenses for headlight projectors. They were worth $120, and I got the standard $100 plus the shipping charges, since I didn't take out extra insurance. All I had to do was print out a copy of the web page where the price was listed and fax it to them.

15. FuerGrissaOstDrauka

FuerGrissaOstDrauka

I'm in a UPS claim right now as they smashed up my computer (this is the second computer UPS has smashed up), the shipper never listed what was inside but we had it insured for 2k. Unfortunately (I wish I could make United Parcel Smashers pay out the nose for beating up my packages all the time, but I'm not a crook) they only did about 300 dollars in damage.

They're still going to pay for that, though. :D