close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Upgrading Laptop HD and building an external HD

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by aleffert, Mar 15, 2006.

1. aleffert

aleffert

Hi Everybody,

I have a Dell Inspirion 9300 laptop, and I was pondering upgrading the HD to a 60 or 80 GB, and turn the 40 GB that is in it now into an external HD.

I have researched building the external HD and it seems relatively easy so my question is. What could I use to mirror the hard drive that is in it now so I don't lose all of the data, onto a new one that I am going to order? And is it even possible to mirror the other one exactly as it is onto the other?

I am hoping I don't have to send it back to Dell to upgrade the HD I am thinking I should be able to just buy a mobile HD and put it in there.

Thanks for your help it is of course greatly appreciated.

Andrew

2. pyblood

pyblood

I recommend that you pick up a copy of Acronis True image. You can use it to clone the original HD’s info onto the new HD. You can also use it for incremental back-ups.

You can download a triial version to see if you like it from here http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

You should (the keyword here being should) be able to just pick up a 60GB or 80GB HD and install it into your laptop.

As far as building the external HD, it’s a breeze. You can just pick up an external enclosure, throw in the HD, and be good to go.

3. aleffert

aleffert

Thank you for the link that looks exactly like what I am looking for!