Upgrading Gen 5 G26 recoil assembly to stainless

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Rocks, May 29, 2020.

1. rock_castle

rock_castle All Lives Matter

2. Rocks

Rocks

I guess I got lucky and ordered SS recoil guide rod set up and was going to cancel but the SS rod was out of stock at the Glock Store.
    For the wife's 42, I'm ordering a Vickers Tactical extended slide stop and RYG extended slide lock from Rockyourglock. I'd like an extended slide lock on my 26.

3. Rocks

Rocks

4. bubbatime

bubbatime

Any "upgrade" from a stock unit, is not actually an
    upgrade". I'd consider it a downgrade. The spring just works.

HALO51 likes this.
  5. Turk3196

Turk3196

Yep I also fixed erratic ejection on several pistols both mine and friends in Gens 3 and 4. Put an apex extractor spring in it and it’ll put more tension on the extractor and not throw brass in people’s face.

SCHOOFSTER and GlockyQ like this.
  6. glockforlife100

glockforlife100

I tried a Tungsten RSA (from the Glock Store) in my G27 very early in my long relationship with Glocks. It did not improve performance and failed a lot sooner than the stock part. Obviously your decision but for me it was a complete waste of both money and time.

7. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Exactly. What are you specifically trying to accomplish? Signal/noise ratio in these threads is so low it's basically not measurable.

-JCN- likes this.
  8. Bradd D

Bradd D

What about replacing the plastic frame?

9. Rocks

Rocks

I posted I'm not doing a change and a video that says the plastic is fine.

10. Toocool45

Toocool45

Gen 2.5-gen5 use the same part. If I buy used glocks. I take the upgraded parts out and return them to stock. Why?

11. GlockyQ

GlockyQ Custom Title

More than 20 years ago, the OEM polymer rod in my G19 broke while shooting on the range. (I had less than 3K rounds with the particular RSA.) It was the only OEM RSA that has ever failed on me, so I do not think it is a common thing. But I know for a fact that the OME RSAs can and do break.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Rocks likes this.
  12. Bradd D

Bradd D

In 30 years, I've never broken an RSA and I've owned dozens of Glocks.

buster55 likes this.
  13. GlockyQ

GlockyQ Custom Title

Unlike communist China, in this great country, if a free man wants to spend his money on his gun, that is his business and not others’. You do not need to justify why you want to buy something for your gun; and you do not need a permission from anyone (but your wife, of course :D).

Obviously not all aftermarket parts and accessories are created equal. Some are very well-designed and well-constructed to really serve their intended functions, while others are not at all. Buy what you like for your Glock, try them out and see what works and what doesn’t. Then share with us what you found out.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Rocks likes this.
  14. Toocool45

Toocool45

15. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Have the changes the subcompact springs since their creation? Granted I’m not up on the newest -# on springs and such and the except for a finicky range toy (now sold) I don’t have much aftermarket products experience.

16. Rocks

Rocks

I'd definitely rather have chrome bumpers than the painted ones of today.
    I also have two metal frame handguns that look and feel great in my hand.

In fact, my favorite gun the MK9. 5.3" length and 4" height. Weighs 2 ounces more than my G26.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    GlockyQ and 2740dmx like this.
  17. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

In conversation with one of the better known Glock component manufactures and custom guys, he said the same thing in stating that there is too much BS out there about what to do to your gun, using the Glock barrel as an example. He said he could hit center mass at 50 yards with a Gen 1,2 or 3 Glock 4-5" barrel using the stock barrel. While the new Gen 5 barrel is a theoretical improvement, you don't need it for improved accuracy, in his opinion. He is continually amazed at the requests he gets for new barrels, saying that if someone wants it for cosmetic reasons or bling, OK. But don't expect the gun to shoot any better. All marketing.

L-2, -JCN- and HALO51 like this.
  18. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

Literally, a true statement in all likelihood. However, about 30 years ago I had a friend who's dad owned the local Harley Davidson shop in town, who used to rant on to me about why these guys would get a perfectly good motorcycle, that the Harley engineers, who were in his words, best in the world had put together and ruin it by doing all the custom and after market work that has always been part of the Harley mystique. Funny though, as the years went by, Harley started turning out stock bikes with all these modifications on them including rad paint jobs, more rake and a general chopper look (the Soft Tail) and a wide variety of seat options, pipes and all he things the after market boys had been selling all those years. So changing your Glock doesn't necessarily make it a better pistol, but may make it better for you. So not particularly better or worse, but different.

Rocks likes this.
  19. Mike-M

Mike-M

It seems to me that your story does not lead to that conclusion at all, but rather "So changing your Glock doesn't necessarily make it a better pistol, but may influence Glock to change future OEM pistols."

Which has never happened in almost 40 years of Glock pistol manufacture. Aftermarketers have been scamming gullible uninformed owners all during that time with bright shiny expensive gimmicks sold at five times the cost of OEM. However, Glock does not degrade their parts design with "competition", "tactical", or "combat" aftermarketer BS. Law enforcement and military organizations everywhere sanction only OEM parts for duty use. That should tell a wise man a whole lot!

Nonsense like a stainless (or titanium or tungsten or depleted-uranium) RSA is a degradation from the OEM part. It is the tongue stud or nipple ring analog to the OEM RSA.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    HALO51 and IAhunter like this.
  20. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

"Interesting, I have over 20 modified Glocks and they are all just as reliable as my OEM Glocks."

So, no improvement? The after market parts just duplicate the OEM parts you wasted cash to change.

IAhunter likes this.