Upgraded to a G43 today

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Victor Dubya, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

I've had it for a few years now but never carried it. It will replace my PPK/S (380) that I've been carrying in a Galco pocket holster. I'm using a Blackhawk Serpa holster attached to my pants belt which seems to work OK..

This will be a trial run to see how it works out. I'd like to go to a G17 eventually but with the extra weight, It's hard to keep things in place. This will be quite the learning process for me.

mongo356, TeaDub and GlockyQ like this.
  2. mds1140

mds1140 nothing to see here, move along

Good choice! I've been EDC my 43 a lot lately too.

although... i have always kinda wanted a PPK to play around with. classic, don't get rid of it

Victor Dubya and GlockyQ like this.

3. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

Nice. The best words you wrote were “ the learning process”. I have been carrying for over 25 years and I’m still learning/changing what works for me and my body.

Ted Smith and Victor Dubya like this.
  4. Mbnv992

Mbnv992

I’d rather have the PPK/S over the 43 but that’s just me

Victor Dubya likes this.
  5. fg17

fg17

I’d rather have the 43 over any .380, or sig 365, or hellcat, or even my Glock 17.

It’s my favorite pistol.

MCCM, Victor Dubya, mongo356 and 4 others like this.
  6. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

Going from a 380 to a 9mm is a definite upgrade and so is going from DA/SA to striker fired in my opinion.

But for daily carry I wouldn't want anything larger than a G26 to try to carry concealed. If you think you need more ammo capacity, you could carry a G26 with a spare G19 magazine

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Bobcatbaseball and Victor Dubya like this.
  7. Lola1

Lola1

I think you will like the 43. I carried a ppk/s in the 80s. Still have it.realized in the late 90s weight and size wise It was nearly the same as a G 27 which i acquired. Carried a 43 for nearly 2 yrs until a month ago when switched to a 43x. The 43 is lighter and has more power than the ppk/s. I had no 43 reliability issues no matter the ammo. And between me and wife, we probably shot 3-4000 rds. It has 1 less round than the ppk/s and it sure is not as pretty a design. Especially when u consider the design of the walther is 90 years, nearly. Carried the 43 in an off the grid concepts OWB and sometimes IWB. Recently went to a canted leather pancake holster from hill country leather. Never pocket carried the 43. I believe it is a really good weapon. You won’t even realize its on the body with the right belt and holster. Congrats; hope u enjoy the 43.

8. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Nothing wrong with a G43! It will serve you well!

9. TxGator33

TxGator33

Yeah the 43 is for sure an upgrade from the ppk, now about that Blackhawk Serpa....

Ted Smith, Victor Dubya and GlockyQ like this.
  10. OXMYX

OXMYX

My G42 is Ok but more firepower is always good. I may get a G43, don't know anyone with a G43X so I'm curious about that one.

Victor Dubya likes this.
  11. TeaDub

TeaDub

Every hand is different. It sounds like the OP is ready to try something "new" for carry. At the same time, having the gun and getting used to it prior to carry can be a good thing. Enjoy your upgraded carry @Victor Dubya . :thumbsup:

As a side note about guns and fitting different hands. A have small hands and the G43 really feels about perfect with the flush mags. The pinky tuck is natural and "locks in" the gun. The PPK/S? One of the few guns that fit MY hands so badly, it'd draw blood from my thumb knuckle every time I shot it. I had to sell it decades ago.

Victor Dubya likes this.
  12. Lola1

Lola1

To Oxmyx. One person’s perspective on the 43x. I debated changing from my 43 to a 43x or a p365. The 43x won. And i like the 365 a lot, my wife carries one and we both shoot it. The 43 x was blue label so it started off less expensive than the 365, but add night sights of choice and a state req lock that the blue label dealer enforces that the 365 dealer does not, and price becomes close. I was used to the 43 and really liked it a lot, and I liked the 43x grip Becaus eit fills the hand. And it might be a couple of hairs thicker than the 43 grip. I worried a bit about the longer handle printing which i did not fret over with the 43, but a slightly canted holster erased that concern, although i don’t think a neutral holster would pose any problem for me. I never had a concern with the smaller 43 grip in terms of drawing and getting a fast shooting grip, or not controlling the gun with a 2 finger grip. Sometimes i would use a carry mag with a Pierce extension. Final thought is I think they are very much the same guns, one with more rds, and a longer grip, a tad more weight. The other shorter with fewer rds ( and a lighter spare mag in my pocket). They shoot pretty much the same across a range of ammo.

OXMYX and Victor Dubya like this.
  13. MoreMonkeyThanMan

MoreMonkeyThanMan

deleted

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Victor Dubya, Bluescot and yep380 like this.
  14. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G43. I love mine

Victor Dubya, fg17 and GlockyQ like this.
  15. GlockyQ

GlockyQ G43 Fanboy

The G43 has a really nice balance of size, weight and capacity (especially with MagGuts) as a true sub-compact 9mm pistol that is rated to +P. It is also every bit as durable and reliable as its bigger cousins in the Glock family. Great CCW for any licensed civilian. I just love my G43s.

Victor Dubya, fg17 and mongo356 like this.
  16. mongo356

mongo356

G43 is an all time Glock favorite for me. Comfortable, reliable, accurate, durable it's difficult to ask anything more.

17. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

IMHO the G-42 easily replaces the PPK/s in .380, I should know I too carried a stainless steel one most of the 80’s.
    I like the 43 too but choose the 27.

Victor Dubya likes this.
  18. agarr

agarr

I own a G43. I also own a P365. It will be unpopular to write this here, but for me, the 365 is superior. Better trigger, better sights and higher capacity in a similar sized pistol. I shoot the 365 much better. That is what counts. I also have a 320X compact that is far ahead of my 1988 era G19. Far ahead.

Victor Dubya, Bluescot and AZ Husker like this.
  19. Eric2340

Eric2340 Infidel :)

Get rid of that Serpa and get yourself a Safariland ALS holster and you will never look back. MUCH better and SAFER design.

I know I did with all five of the Serpas I had at the time, threw them all right in the trash so no one else could possibly get hurt by them, and picked up the same type holster features and then some I still wanted in the SL ALS holsters.

You will NOT regret it.

Good luck -

OXMYX and Victor Dubya like this.
  20. yep380

yep380

This.

Get a GREAT belt and ALL your holsters will thank you. I like steel core leather belts myself, but am thinking of trying a kydex core one as well.

And OP, congrats on the G43! A great gun for sure.