close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Upgrade or Replace my computer??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Opie, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Opie

Opie Misanthropist Millennium Member

Here is what I have now.

Emachines T6410
    AMD 64 3200+ (512kb L2 Cache, 1600mhz FSB)
    160gb hard drive
    1024 of DDR SDRAM (pc3200/400mhz)
    Integrated ATI Radeon 200 (uses 128 of system memory, PCI Express slot open)

The computer is running most of my games a little slower than I would like, and the hard drive is starting to make a vibrating noise. I have heard that some hard drives just do that after a while, but its bothering me. Other than games it runs OK for basic internet and home PC stuff, and is quite reliable so far.

Should I upgrade this and get a PCI express video card, that way the system memory goes back up to 1024 and I will have an additional 256 on the video card, or should I buy a new computer now? Its about 1.5 years old if I remember correctly.

What about the hard drive rattle?

2. ric0123

ric0123

The hard drive rattle scares me. You might open it and see if the mounting screws loosened up. Being a gamer and building a lot of gaming machine the difference between an onboard video card and an external is HUGE. HOWEVER it will probably bring up another issue... the power supply. Most good video cards require power. I would look for a 128m PCI-E videocard and see what happens. I suspect that will fix your problem. If you start to experience lock ups, then its probably the power supply. Change it out for a bigger one (450 or better) and make it a decent brand (antec comes to mind).

I HATE emachines, but the last time I messed with them was a while back, maybe the got better

3. malkore

malkore

emachines have supposedly gotten better in the last 18 months.

you have a decent cpu. you need more RAM, a separate PCI Express video card, and maybe a new harddrive...

so like, maybe $120 for Ram, $90 for a huge, fast SATA or IDE drive...and likely $200 would make a huge world of difference in your game performance.

get RAM first...everything likes more RAM. that might actually make the games you play, playable enough to not NEED a new video card.

4. New Shooter II

New Shooter II

IMHO DUMP THE E-MACHINES!!!
    I had two back to back in which the motherboard went out. I personally recomend replacing the unit with a gaming powerhouse. My brother just got a custom gamer for $1800.00.

Just my $.02

5. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

I doubt that your emachine has a PCIE slot in it. or even an AGP.

An upgrade would require a new motherboard, and powersupply. If they fit in the case.

Go to a local computer shop and have them price out something new and decent. You should be able to get a pretty decent gaming machine for around 1k without a monitor.

6. Opie

It does have a PCIE slot. Heck, even my 4 year old Emachines had an AGP slot that I installed a video card on that is still running strong in the basement. I don't have a problem with emachines at all because I have never had one fail.

I am just considering if I should upgrade this one, or buy another new one.

7. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

It's a good machine. really nothing wrong with it.

If you are looking to play WOW in all it's glory then go get yourself a PCIE Video card and disable that onboard video.

At least when the machine breaks you will be able to reuse the Video card.

I am running a Pentium D 2.8ghz with 2gb of ram.
    FSB 800mhz

ASUS P5P800 SE MB
    Geforce 7800 GS AGP

Unfortunately when I bought the video card the AGP slot went belly up on my gigabyte MB.
    So I had to run out and buy the most redily available MB with an AGP slot since they are no longer making AGP video card slot MB's.

I have a WOW guildmate of mine giving me his old AMD 64 3800 processor because he bought himself a AMD 64 4600.

Now I will be forced to buymyself a new MB with a PCIE graphics card slot. ;)

Mom will sure like this Pentium D for Christmas. :)

8. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Ok, I pretty surprised it does. Most cheap computers don't.

9. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

if your hard drive is rattling, backup your data today.

10. nearthebeach

nearthebeach

Have you considered a Macintosh?

11. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Not if he wants to game.

12. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

E-machines have one MAJOR weakness, many use the Bestek powersupply and when the fail (not if, but when), they almost always take out the M/B and sometimes other stuff. I don't mind, we do several new PS and M/B installs a week on Emachines.
    Incidentally, E-machine isn't the only one that uses that powersupply, but they used to use them exclusively...

Now, back to your PC. I'd throw a mid-level (256mb or so) PCI-E card for a couple hundred bucks and keep it another 12-18 months. At that time, Vista will be out, the 64 bit and dual-core stuff will hopefully be more compatible and reliable.

13. Eric1963

Eric1963

You have a decent machine for most purposes, except for maybe the latest first person shooter-type games.

Here is my suggestion: Move to a Playstation 3 for games, then keep the computer for internet and word processing.

Eric

14. Opie

I bought a GeForce 7600GT/factory over-clocked and installed it last night. I ended up paying $113 w/ free shipping from Newegg.com for the card after the $30 rebate (if I get it back.) Not bad considering BestBuy wants over $200 for a comparable card.

Before installing the card Battlefield Vietnam was nearly unplayable at the lowest settings. I put the card in, turned the graphics as high as they would go and increased the screen from 800x600x16 to 1024x768x32. I could not get the game to lag, I even turned the number of NPC characters all the way up. What a MAJOR difference, I ran around killing people I could never kill before because of the speed the game was running. Not to mention it looks 10x better with the graphics turned up.

Battlefield Vietnam/1942 is the only game I really play on it, other than the Sims2 occasionally. That might change with the new card.

Thanks for your help, the system does everything I want it to do now.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

My disdain for Emachines notwithstanding, Onboard video almost always sucks. Going with even an average Video card, probably would have made quite a performance increase. PCIE GeForce is a great card.

Good job..

IGF

16. Blue59

Blue59

Well if you have the spare cash, get a newer PC. But when it comes to gaming, about 50% of "the computer" is usually having a decent video card--and onboard video is pretty slow.
    And you need a new HD too.
    So figure $100 [HD] + the cost of whatever videocard you want (-a $100 videocard will be WAY better than integrated video-). That's probably cheaper than a whole new computer.
    ~