Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jack Hays, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Jack Hays

Jack Hays

Hi! I'm looking to upgrade two computers, and need some advice. I more or less built my own current system back in 2001, but I am a little out of the loop as far as what are currently considered the top products. Therefore, I feel like I need a little help in that regard. Thanks for any advice you can give me. Here are my questions:

1) I'd like to install a faster processor in my mom's computer (1999 or so vintage). It currently is running a 350Mhz P2 on a 440BX motherboard. What would be the fastest CPU that could be installed on the 440BX? Obviously, I would have buy a used CPU, perhaps on eBay. But if the cost is right, and the CPU speed decent, I might be able to provide a slight upgrade without having to replace the whole computer. (note: the computer should have enough RAM; it came with just 64MB, but I have added a couple of 128MB sticks since then, giving my mother 320MB. My own computer has a 256MB stick of RAM, so after I upgrade my computer, I should be able to transfer that stick to replace the original 64MB stick in my mom's computer, giving hers 512MB.)

2) For my system, I currently have an 800Mhz Athlon on an ASUS A7V motherboard with 512MB of PC133 RAM. I am looking to upgrade with a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM (and possibly a new power unit, if required). I'd like to install at least 1GB of RAM, and use a relatively capable CPU. However, I don't need a super blazing extreme top-end setup, just a good one. Ideally, I'd like to keep the cost for this around $300-$350.

P.S. One more thing: does anybody use TinyResMeter? If so, is there a way to get it run when Windows starts, but with the fields already selected? I can get it to start, but always with "No Fields Selected". I want it to start, and already by set to display available RAM. (I have XP Home SP2 installed)

2. Bluzman

Bluzman

You might want to try the Asus A7n8X-E Deluxe Motherboard. I upgraded my A7V to that board. You might get 2, one for your Mom.
    My A7N8X-E has been a great motherboard and you can put a Athlon Barton 3000 in them. It is a nice setup. You would only have to upgrade the Ram, your current Video Card would work on both boards if they are AGP cards and your hard drives should work.

I just built a new system but it's an AMD 64 3500+ 64 bit chip on an Asus A8N-E board and PCI Express Video, running Windows XP 64. It's a nice setup for about $ 600.00.

I wouldn't buy boards on Ebay, there are a too many "Repaired" boards listed as "New", scammers!, or people selling stuff they overclocked to death. You might get a CPU there, but for a few bucks more you can get a "Retail Chip" with a 3 year warranty.

I use Newegg.com and I got some good deals there. I read the reviews on anything I buy, it helps get an idea of whats good.

For about $60 bucks you can get an ATX Case/Power Supply. The newer boards need more Power seems like. Get one that has a rating of at least 20 amps @ 12Volt, or 30 amp for more power.

I did get a 200GB Sata Drive on Ebay for $100.00, great deal. The A7N8X-E can run Sata Drives.

Let me know if you need any help, I build a lot of systems.
    Bluzman1@cox.net

Send us some of that Hurricane Rain!

3. pyblood

pyblood

Why not give your mother your old PC and build yourself a new one?

For the money, I would recommend buying an Socket 939 Athlon 64 3000+. I would get a gig or Corsair ValueRAM. You will probably need a new PS, so I would recommend looking at Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake, etc. Do not buy a cheap Power supply. You’ll regret it. If you are going to buy a new video card, I would recommend going with a motherboard that has a PCI-Express slot. But if you are going to keep your current video card, I would say get a motherboard based on the NVIDIA chipset.