updating preps due to virus spread?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by callihan_44, Feb 25, 2020.

1. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

sounds like the coronavirus is spreading like wildfire all through asia , shops and factories closed down

2. Onkel Walther

Onkel Walther

Well, northern Italy isn't to far from my hometown. Additional to my stockpile, today I stocked up toilet paper, soap, toothbrush & paste and hard liquor.

And I ordered 10 gal. of industrial alcohol. This can be used for desinfection, cleaning and as a fuel.

And lots of coffee. Nobody wants to see if I run out of coffee :D

FullClip and callihan_44 like this.

3. Grayson

Grayson

I have an immunocompromised relative...a little nervous but as I understand it she's in as much danger from the flu as this (and the flu has been raging here).

Their household is definitely making sure they can hunker down for a bit if needed. Same here, mainly making sure I have plenty of food and household essentials on hand.

Apparently people are going gaga on surgical masks...if you don't have any, the time to look for them was ideally last month, but the sooner the better if you think you'll have a need of them.

4. BigEd

BigEd Millennium Member

I'm here in Southern California and after the last sizeable earthquake up north, I purchased 100 cans of drinking water with a crazy long shelf life. Last week I Bought several additional cases of drinking water in bottles. Yesterday, I decided to finally order a few cases of MRE's. Im also planning on storing 50 gallons of gasoline and 50 gallons of diesel fuel both are to be treated with ArchOil. This week, I will be stocking up w/ OTC medicines. Motrin, Robitussin, etc. Hopefully nothing comes about of the Coronavirus here in the states but it doesn't hurt to have this stuff.

5. bdcochran

bdcochran

I only bought 4 gallons. Just to be used as a disinfectant at home. I am retired. Set up a weekly schedule of spraying. When the virus pops up locally, it will be every day. If I run out, I will use a soapy water solution which will require wiping off.

6. bdcochran

bdcochran

Look into the two bottle two liter solar still. It will take 8 hours of sunlight. Yields water that is filtered and purified. Will handle salt water and urine. The one liter bottle UN recommended solar still will only purify, but not filter at all.

7. bdcochran

bdcochran

I have always had masks on hand. Herein lies the problem in spending money in that direction.
    1. the virus will have a life span on a surface. If someone sneezes on your clothes or you touch your eyes, you will have a problem.
    2. how you take off the mask and dispose of it is equally important.
    3. do you have eye protection? are you wearing disposable gloves when fueling the car or using the handrail on the bus for support.
    4. if you ware working, do you intend to take off the mask at lunchtime and eat in a restaurant or the office cafeteria? Are you going to be eating off a plate someone else handled/ Are you going to be eating the presence of sick people in the office break room?

G30 Medic likes this.
  8. Onkel Walther

Onkel Walther

Funny meme: After a soldier showed symptoms and was testet positive, a german airbase is shut down now.
    There are rumours that this soldier is a crewmember of Angela Merkel's Air Force One :milestone:

9. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I ordered masks and several boxes of gloves two months ago.

Yesterday I dropped a grand at Sam's Club on food in the event of a quarantine.

10. cbetts1

cbetts1

Costco sold out of their emergency food kits.

11. BigEd

BigEd Millennium Member

We have a swimming pool so I have 15k gallons of water at my disposal. Do you know of an easy to use and easy to store filter solution for chlorinated water?

12. Renoc

Renoc

We have started laying in supplies also just in case.

13. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

no not really. a disruption of services is a disruption of services. I have always had basic n95 masks and cleaning supplies. I have not really added or changed anything as a result of this corona thing

14. SDDL-UP

SDDL-UP

I actually expect this to be a "hiccup" rather than a crisis. We haven't really changed anything we are doing.

15. "Doc" Cavalry

"Doc" Cavalry MAJ (USA Ret.)

Leave it out long enough, the sun will remove the chlorine. Filter with Katydyn hiking filters or even better, Aqua Rain gravity filters. Lots of options out there.

16. Aceman

Aceman

"Sounds like" and "Is" are two different things.

"Shut Down" vs "Out of commission due to flu" are two different things.

The reality is far less than portrayed in the media. I highly suspect if you do what you would do for the flu, short of a vaccine, you will be as fine as you can be. All the hysteria isn't gong to stop the spread. Most are simply not prepared to spend the few weeks indoors it would take.

17. Aceman

Aceman

Amen Doc! People flip out about pool water. If you have a pool, you know how often chems need put in it. And - if a pepper, you should seriously know how to decontaminate it! Berkee, or whatever.

You are surviving here. A little boiled pool water for a bit won't kill you. Might not taste the best...but there are far worse things to drink!

18. Aceman

Aceman

Too late. What exactly do you mean anyway? "Laying preps?"

19. bdcochran

bdcochran

The problems include salts and pool acid. Just a reminder that using a solar still, as described, takes care of those problems.

Over the years, I have repeatedly addressed storage. Ok, once again.
    Go to Home Depot or a paint store. Turn over the 5 gallon bucket. If you see #2, that has a meaning. It means that the container is food grade plastic. Now, you may have a choice of lids. Home Depot gives you the option of spending a few dollars and getting a twist off top. Think about why you would want a twist off top as opposed to prying a standard pain lid off and pounding it shut.

Another option. Plain vinegar is slightly acidic. For that reason, the gallon containers are of a better, longer lasting quality than the fashionable little flimsy containers sold by the case. Drinking a small amount of plain vinegar will not kill you. So, you wash out the vinegar container, put in tap water, put on a label saying "tap water" and you are good to go. Hints - you can use vinegar to clean surfaces, clear a drain in the sink, clean metal.

Things relating to water than people just don't think about follow:
    1. having a 30 or 50 gallon container is nifty, but you can't lift it. If you are going to "fish" water out of it, you had better have a cheap battery operated PRC pump that will eventually fail;
    2. you need some lighter containers to store water. I gave 1 gallon and 5 gallon options. 5 gallons is 40 pounds. Not much? Wrong. Try holding a 5 gallon gasoline container over waist high as you pour gasoline into a car.
    3. do not use 5 gallon plastic water containers delivered to the home or office. Are they clean? You think so? They are used to store chemicals ranging from PCP to gasoline. I remember a relative using a 5 gallon container to make kalua in his lab decades ago.

Aceman likes this.
  20. bdcochran

bdcochran

I explain why the two soda pop bottle method works.

If water is heated, it evaporates. When it evaporates, the gas leaves behind salts/metals. If you can tap that gas and turn it into a liquid, you have distilled water. You do not have to filter out particles.

So, I want you to imagine two 2 liter bottles. one is upright; the other is upside down and balanced on the lower bottle.

The balance is assured by a plastic tubing that I will describe AND the upper bottle is held in place by books, using a frame, any thing. Use your imagination.

the bottle with the pool water is filled with a gap at the top. Descending into the gap is a plastic tube. Now. If the bottle of pool water is warmed by the sun, the water will evaporate, turn into a gas and go up the tube. It goes up the tube. Now, the upper bottle has the tube going to near the top of the inverted bottle. The water condenses and starts to fill up the upper bottle.

This is the technical explanation. Now use google and look up how to make a solar still. I simply went to Home Depot . Bought a long length of stiff plastic tubing (I was making multiple units). I drilled two soda pop caps so the tube would fit through. Placed the tops in opposite directions. made the part going into the lower bottle hang down short and the upper portion go almost to the top (meaning bottom) of the inverted unit.

Ok. Now the inverted bottle is nearly full. You can see that the portion of the tube sticking into the bad water bottle is not contaminated. Unscrew the top on the bad water bottle. Now, turn the inverted bottle upright. Presto, distilled water.