Updated (no primer swipe) Sig P365 Striker

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Gaston_Convert, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

I noticed that Sig Sauer redesigned the P365 striker again to mitigate perceived primer swipe issues. The redesigned striker first appeared in the P365 XL, but is now found in all current production P365s. If your P365 exhibits primer swipe and if it concerns you, this "upgrade" may be for you. It only takes about 5 minutes to swap striker assemblies.

Here is the part number of the assembly as taken from the bag it arrives in.

P365 - striker - 1.jpg

Next, an image of the revised striker tip (before removing the assembly from the parts bag).

P365 - striker - 2.jpg

The tip now has a more chiseled appearance as can be seen above.

Here is the result after installing the new striker.

P365 - striker - 3.jpg
    Striker marks from left to right: Gen 4 Glock G26 (has a rectangular shaped striker behind the tip which leaves a faint rectangular imprint); "3rd Gen" P365 conical tipped striker with typical primer swipe; current production P365 striker with no primer swipe. The position of the slanted striker tip is indexed so that its point is at the bottom when installed in the striker channel inside the slide. (The dark spots on the primers are shadows.)

I wasn't overly concerned with the primer swipe the P365 exhibited, but when I learned of the current "4th Gen" design I decided to try it. An added bonus is that it greatly improved the trigger pull by removing any hints of a gritty pull before the break. On the new striker, the area where the sear engages the striker looked like "in the white" metal. That part of the striker was lightly polished prior to installation. To me, the result was worth the $35 cost of the striker. The trigger pull is very smooth now and feels as good or better than Glocks with a 25¢ trigger job.

2. Dave.1

Dave.1

Glad they're always looking to improve. Sig is one of those companies that does these revisions (S&W was like that too), I just wish we could sign up for an email alert when they do the upgrades.
    I think most of the p938 revisions were shown on Forums but otherwise went unnoticed. I do see the striker upgrade is US made. All of the P938 upgrade parts I got from Sig were made in India.

Dave

Gaston_Convert likes this.

3. Tickhill

Tickhill Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking

Thanks for this info, I will be getting one on order.

4. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  5. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

I was about to make a joke about beveling the striker.... then I saw the pix. Hey at least they're doing something to keep customers happy. Did you notice if the spring has been changed also? I haven't been following the striker issue much on 365's, were the strikers breaking? If so, is the new striker beefier where the old ones were breaking? Just curious, I was at the LGS and I almost grabbed one for my daughter.

6. Tickhill

Thanks Joshhtn for the Midwest suggestion. This is from the only review of the striker assembly:
    No more primer drag

5 out of 5
    tmd
    Date: September 30, 2019
    If you're lucky enough to get the 3rd version of this striker (which shipped with the P365 XL), it's shorter and slanted cut. After the replacement, I no longer have primer drag problem with my P365.

When I get a chance I will call them to see if it is the 4th ver.

Be nice if we had another picture of striker assembly pointed left so we could see numbers on the striker :)

Mr Meeseeks and Joshhtn like this.
  7. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy

Tickhill likes this.
  8. Tickhill

Thanks, will get one on the way also!

Edit: done, that was quite easy

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Joshhtn likes this.
  9. powernoodle

powernoodle

Well, I ordered the latest striker - and a blue cerakote grip module - from smallgunparts.

Do all XL's have this latest striker, or do we not know?

10. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    Dang it, I was just telling myself this morning I was done buying guns and that I didn't need anymore. Any idea what production date they started putting them in the new 365s? This is the only reason I sold the one I had and decided to avoid them. They are sweet shooters I just didn't feel like I could trust it with people posting up broken strikers.

11. powernoodle

powernoodle

Powernoodle - from looking at another forum, it appears that all XL models have the slanted striker. They also said that you can prolly tell just by looking at it through the breech face.

12. powernoodle

powernoodle

Thanks Powernoodle - you rock. I looked through the firing pin hole on both my P365 (born April 2019) and XL. The P365 had the rounded striker tip, and the XL had the slanted flavor. So I'll drop the new slanted flavor in the P365 and see how she goes. Thanks.

Jeff S. likes this.
  13. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

I believe the spring is the same.

Some of the initial striker tips broke and Sig attributed that to a bad batch with bad metallurgy. Sig subsequently redesigned the striker tip so that its base had a more radiused blend of the striker tip into the body of the striker.

P365 - striker - 4.jpg

Top is the original striker from a September 2018 build. Bottom is the current production P365 striker.

When compared side by side, the slanted tip appears to be a bit shorter than the rounded one although this image doesn't show that detail.

Joshhtn and Jeff S. like this.
  14. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

I kind of like the burnt bronze.

Joshhtn and powernoodle like this.
  15. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

I don't think Sig ever publicized any "upgrades" to the P365.

I believe all XLs do. But, as you discovered, it's not too hard to find out by looking at the breech face.

No, it appears that Sig made this revision quietly like the previous ones. I came across it by accident, but it seems the revision was made a few months ago.

Jeff S. likes this.
  16. powernoodle

powernoodle

Yeah, if Sig would communicate this stuff, we would be much happier. But noooo.

17. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

After replacing the striker, does the P365 need to be vetted again, with hundreds of rounds sent down range?

18. powernoodle

powernoodle

Any excuse to hit the range is a good one.

Mr Meeseeks and Gaston_Convert like this.
  19. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

:agree: :D

20. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Heart of the Rockies

Just so you guys know, the striker sleeve is different as well. There’s now an L-shaped tab that must be moved to the left and then downward to remove the backplate (and striker assembly). Before, the tab only had to be moved downward to release the backplate. It’s a lot harder to remove now, but it cures instances of the backplate moving during firing.

Some people marred the striker sleeve attempting to remove the backplate (not knowing that it had to be moved to the left and then down).

edit: video explains it better (not mine)

View: https://youtu.be/5AvQg8w3UYU

Joshhtn likes this.