close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

update to my person to person sale (when my gun got confiscated)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mixflip, Apr 2, 2010.

1. mixflip

mixflip

Ok so about 2 months ago I told ya'll that I did a P to P sale of a handgun. The ****** said he never had a felony but actually had some legal issue in another state that cause him to get arrested and my gun to be confiscated for evidence.

Btw, its the county law in my town that all handgun sales must be registered. So I had him meet me at a Metro PD substation to do everything by the law. What idiot with a record would go to the police and try to register a gun, I thought?

Well 2 months later, (today) I got the call that the ****** is cleared to buy the gun now if I so choose to sell it to him? I pick it up at the evidence locker on monday!!! At this point I dont even want to know the details of what the heck his issue was. I just want my gun back and to move on.

I did everything right and by the book and still got my gun taken away from me for 2 months. I wonder if I could have refused to hand over my gun? I ask this because after he was aressted, the cops gave back my gun and I was home when they called me back and asked for the gun? I volunteered my gun willingly but did I have to at all since they had already given back my gun and had their man in cuffs?

I wonder what would have happened if I had refused to go back home and give them my gun for evidence?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Weird that he tried to purchase a gun before he got the okay .and then he still got the okay to purchase it later...I don't understand that philosophy...
    :dunno:

3. Lotiki

Lotiki All that is man

So, you gave it to them, they didn't confiscate it.

Got it.

They probably wanted it as evidence in case he was truly trying to illegally buy a firearm and it ever went to court.

4. mixflip

mixflip

Long story short.

He found my ad on backpage.com

We met at a Metro sub station.

He gave me the money.

I put the gun in the slider box window and he put his DL in with it so he could register the gun in his name. (I stick around and watch the buyer register it in font of me so there is no excuse why the buyer never registered the gun)

5 minutes later he gets called in the back with 2 officers and "click" he is arrested.

I am like "WTF?" An investigator tells me the young man is in trouble and the cops give back my gun.

I give back the $300.

I drive home.

10 minutes later I get a call to return to the sub station for more questions and thats when they ask for the gun as evidence. (no further details are given to me about the young man)

Several calls to check on my gun and 2 months later...I am told its ready for pick up. The cops even ask me if I still want to sell the young man my gun, that I can because he is now clear? It sounds weird and fishy but I dont even care at this point.

I say "NO"

5. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

Why punish the guy who is cleared to buy the gun. Sounds like he didnt do anything wrong? So maybe the police made a mistake, and they are trying to make it right by telling you he is cleared to buy it.

A friend of mine went to buy a gun about 2 years ago. I was with him. They ran the background check and denied him, stating that he was barred from purchasing firearms. My friend has no record, and has bought guns his whole life. Long story short--turns out there was a clerical mistake made, somebody else with a social security number the same as his except for one digit had the felony. Somehow, the court entered the wrong social and he became a felon!

It took about 3 months for him to get it cleared up. It was a nightmare for him. But it wasnt his fault, it was some court clerks fault.

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Why did you give the money back? If they had the gun it was his problem and he would have gotten it back at the end of the court procedure. Just resell it again and be done with it.

7. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

That would seem to make all the sense in the world. But I guess not?

:dunno:

8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

You did everything by the book. He was the one in the wrong. They would need a court order or a warrant to get the gun from me. And on top of that, they kept it for 2 months? What kind of trouble was this guy in, that he can't buy a gun, and is arrested for doing so, then a few months later he's cleared to buy it? WTF is that BS?:dunno:

9. Toyman

Toyman

Maybe the same kind that would just volunarily give up their gun without any warrant or court order?

No.

They might have been able to get a court order for it.

When it comes to legal issues, it's a good idea to tell people what State you are in.

10. oldnoob

oldnoob

It just me or the young man sound innocent? Or did I miss anything. He fellow the state law, when with OP to police station to register the gun, pay the money in full than got wrongfully arrested, didn't clear his name after 2 months?

11. rem2429

rem2429

I figure it is just almost always better to cooperate with the police like you did. If it was your only gun and you couldn't buy another....maybe fight it. If the guy was really trying to buy an illegal gun and you then sold it to someone else, that might have really been a problem for them to track it down in court. If you were the cop that was thinking about making that case, wouldn't you want to make sure evidence was available?

12. mixflip

mixflip

After living through this I do see where I would do things different.

I only gave back the money because the cops gave back my gun. I felt weird standing in the police station with my gun and the guys money? They guys girlfriend was there waiting for him so I logically gave his money to his girlfriend since I had my gun back.

The part where I screwed myself is that I voluntarily gave back my gun for evidence. If this were to happen again I would not do that unless they had a warrant or court order of some type.

Now if they gave me back the $300, I woud have no problem giving back the gun for evidence. As a matter of fact it would have been alot easier since at the end of all this, when he was cleared, he would have gotten the gun released to him since he already paid for it and already started the registration process when he got detained.

Lesson learned. Go home with your gun or go home with the money but dont leave with without at least one of them???? And I am not sure my co-operation and volunteering my gun for evidence was the best choice in my situation. It felt right at the time since I am kind of a boy scout do-gooder type personality.

13. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

woulda, coulda, shoulda :crying:

The question on our minds is why not complete the transaction? :dunno:

14. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

First off the whole situation sounds like BS (not your story), I would hate to have to go to a police station to sell my legally owned property, that must suck.

Secondly I agree that I would have to be seeing a court order before I surrendered my LEGALLY OWNED property to the police for two months. They don't need that damn gun to make their case.

I'd never do any sort of FTF sale if I had to put up with that crap, I'd just sell anything I had to at a shop.

15. mixflip

mixflip

I agree it all sucks. But I was trying to be a good citizen. My county is the only county in the state that requires 100% gun registration. It sucks.

I thought I'd get my gun back in a few days? hard lesson learned.

Why not finish the transaction you ask?

Because I dont feel like it. Plain and simple.

16. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

What sucks is that they kept your gun all that time for no reason, as the guy was cleared and the transaction was cleared. You lost but so did the falsely accused guy.

17. JBP55

JBP55

Sounds like you need to move to another County.

18. BAILIFF

BAILIFF Piece Officer

Get that in writing and double the price...:faint:

19. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

What kinda gun is it? I have $300... :)

20. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

It should be obvious, that the only reason they wanted the gun(at that point)was to see if it had been stolen,etc. It's the old"why not kill two birds with one stone" routine. My bet is that the ****** at the PD whom originally had it in hand, didnt have the presence of mind to run the numbers by the ATF database, so ....after recognizing this, kindly asked for it back, hoping for a chance to nail you for something in the process. It's no different than if you call the cops to report something and they end up getting your info(while theyre at it)to see if you have any outstanding warrants,etc. And btw.....mandatory registration is a direct violation of your 2nd amendment rights.