Glock Talk banner

UPDATE PAGE 6. Broke a trigger spring this morning so thinking about this...

9215 Views 123 Replies 64 Participants Last post by  rottglocken
Hello lads and lasses,
So this morning during my range session I broke the only weak part I’ve ever found on a Glock, the trigger reset spring.
This is admittedly only the 3rd one I’ve had break in almost 17 years with the G19’s but it is also the ONLY part I’ve broken in almost 17 years with the G19’s. It is however the first one I’ve had break in probably 10 years so I wasn’t real worried anymore till now.
I’ve had these parts for years and I think it’s time to find out if it’s all I’ve ever read about ( good and bad).
My thoughts on this are if this takes just one fraction of a chance away from a real inconvenient breakage smart money says do it. Anyway it’s a good day for a detail strip and clean so I’ll use this as a great excuse for a second range trip today.
Grey Bronze Brass
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I’ve got it cleaned and put back together. Not sure what I think. Trigger kinda reminds me of the hk45 I owned years ago. It’s very very smooth front to back. Just a slightly noticeable wall the a crisp break and a very positive reset.
Off to the range to function check and see if it’s “ shootable” as I’ve read some say it’s really bad.
As for the bit of what I’ll take as skepticism from some about a broken trigger spring, I don’t know what to tell you. Over 60k rounds in 17 years out of 9 g19s is an almost minuscule number of failures that I’ll bet no other manufacturers are coming close to but it does happen. This is the first I’ve seen on a Gen 4 as the first two were gens 2 and 3, however GLOCK knew it was the weak link or I’m guessing the would still be using them in the gen5.
Anyway off to the range.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok, just back from my second range trip of the day, and it proved interesting.
Ran 200 rounds thru my carry gun with its new trigger setup and I’ll be keeping it this way. My second target of the day didn’t look a whole lot different them my first. Maybe my groups opened up a bit but I’ve no doubt that will settle back in.
I kinda liked the way it is now just one smooth pull to fire instead of the “ two stage” stacking feel of the stock pull. I will of course need to see how that plays out when working out of a holster.
The reset is a definite plus with this setup. It is almost forceful in that you can feel it wanting to drive your finger forward. Next week I’ll get to the outdoor range and run it against the clock head to head with one of my others and see what the splits look like.
I don’t have a way to measure trigger pull so I have to go from feel. This seems just a bit heavier but that may very well be because it’s starts so early instead of stacking. I did have to pay attention to my support hand for the first couple mags to apply constant pressure as I wanted to drift left a bit but by the third mag it was just natural.
All in all I’m pretty pleased. I don’t know that I’d call this a better trigger but to me it’s sure no worse and honestly it feels more secure without all that loose first part of the pull when reholstering, but of course that’s just one guys impression.
I’ll be keeping this setup for a while and run a thousand or so rounds thru it before deciding if the others should be changed as well but for now it stays.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
FWIW, the Trigger Spring isn't the Trigger Reset Spring. It actually works against the reset process. The firing pin spring is what resets the trigger.

The Trigger Spring is the most frequent part on the Glock to break. Keep one and a punch in your range bag and you are covered for six sigma events when it comes to Glock failures. Or just change all your springs at say 20K round intervals. :)
Thank you for catching that. I have no idea why I typed “ trigger reset spring” as I know that’s not what it is. I correctly called it just the trigger spring from that point on and in other posts...no idea where that came from.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
I admittedly have not read this entire post, but have you contacted glock about this? Would this be under warranty with glock? I truly don’t know but am interested in finding out. This is interesting, and I appreciate you posting it.

The first one I had break was a a Brand new Gen3 in I think 2007. Had it at the range for the first time maybe 100 rounds thru it. I took it back to the store, they sent it to GLOCK got it back I think 3 weeks later good as new. It now has just south of 13000 rounds thru it without a hiccup and I’ll never sell it.
The Second was on a used gen 2 I bought with I think 10k on it. I broke that one while taking the gun apart to clean it. I replaced it myself with a new one from my local guy. My brother now has that gun I see it a couple times a year he’s put another 10k or so thru it no problems.
This last one was on my carry gen4 that was bought in ‘15 7500 rounds and probably 5 times that many dry fires. Had 6 other g19’s over the years with not one problem.
I’ve had this “-“ connector and NY-1 spring since 2011. It was in the box of a used G19 I bought at a gun show. I tossed them into my parts bin and I’m glad I did. I really like the result of this combo.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Seems to be a rash of broken trigger springs all of a sudden, either real or imagined.
Really? I hadn’t seen those posts. I have seen a couple of folks post here that have experienced it in the past but nothing recent. Did you have anything helpful to add or just stopping by to toss a jab?

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
To me it is personal preference. The conventional trigger spring helps lessen trigger weight. When you put a NY trigger in, the tab on top presses on the underside of the cruciform creating a little drag on the trigger bar, so you not only don't have the help of the normal trigger spring, but have the added drag of the NY bit. A lighter spring in the NY trigger just exerts less upward pressure and feels more like a trigger without the normal trigger spring (less drag), a heavier spring in the NY trigger bit increases upward pressure, hence more drag.

The good thing about the NY trigger spring is without the normal trigger spring (that can break), you don't have as much countering pressure against reset, so reset feel is more positive, snappier. That means a lot to some people.
Thank you for taking the time for that. I appreciate it.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Ok so all you NY1 haters can tell me you told me so...
Headed to the range after work to do some “ from concealment” practice. This “-“ connector NY1 spring combo is just not for me. Turns out it helped me remember why I absolutely hate DA/SA autos and why I left HK and Sig and went to GLOCK all those years ago!
Took my carry gun and my old stock Gen3 to compare and there is just no comparison. Out of a holster that smooth “ single stage” pull felt a mile long and just destroyed my first shot times if I wanted any kind of accuracy.
I give up. To those that like it good on you. Maybe I need lots more time to adapt but I’m just not interested in finding out.
If anyone wants to try this out for themselves pm me and I’ll send you a “-“ connector and NY1 spring free of charge but if you don’t like it you have to pass it on to another.

Thanks to all that responded here and followed along.

Edit: I’ve had a taker for the connector and trigger spring. Perhaps he will share his thoughts with us when he’s had a chance to run them a bit.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Why not just the minus connector and stock trigger spring?
Didn't do a damn thing for my well worn 26.3 but helped my 27.4 and 17.4, maybe. Kinda hard to tell but I'm trying to justify the mod.
If I remember right I tried the minus connector by itself combined with a .25 trigger job when I bought this gun and again if I remember right I thought it was a tad to light for me.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Agreed, try the minus connector and the stock spring

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just a bit ago I found that I have a complete trigger group that I polished up nice a few years ago including a minus connector. I think I remember thinking it was too light but perhaps I shall give it another go this weekend as long as I seem to be in a experimental mood.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.