close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

update on my shotgun search for my 9y/o.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bno762, Jan 21, 2010.

1. bno762

bno762

I had a thread goin a couple weeks back about looking for a shotgun for my sons 9th b-day. Well last night I made a pretty good deal and got him one. Its a 20ga single shot Sears Roebuck. Its in pretty nice shape and I paid $60. I think now I'm gonna put a hi-viz front sight and a recoil pad on it for him. I may be more excited about it than he is...he may get it when he gets home from school today.....not sure if I can wait until march to give it to him.

2. oldfort

oldfort

I started my son with a little 20ga Ithica double when he was 12. He's 45 now. It banged him a little bit, so I took it to the gunsmith and had the stock shortened and a nice pad installed. I kept it, and later got him a full sized Rem 1100 auto. That little shotgun has probably started twelve kids since. It has spent more time away, than at home. Up to three yrs at a time in homes that had two youngsters. My son has it now for his girls. Life is good.

3. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Singles have started MANY kids to a life of good shootin
    Just remember-when it comes to skunk-back away,then shoot:whistling:
    I'm glad you went 20 and not 410

4. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

Shoulda got him a 12gauge sawed off.

Jk

Nice buy man. Youre a good dad.

5. Caver 60

Caver 60

Started my kids on a 20 gage single shot. Ordered an extra butt stock, sawed it off myself, and put a recoil pad on it. Then as they got bigger put the original stock back on.

I'll second Steel Head. I know a lot of people like the 410, but personally I'd never own or give a 410 to a kid or adult. I owned one once for a very short while, then got rid of the lousy thing. IMO 410's are absolutely useless. Flame suit on.

6. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

When I was that age I got a bolt action .410 Mossberg with an adjustable choke. I've still got it. Like my first .22, I'll pass it down.

7. bno762

bno762

I couldn't wait....he got it when I got up yesterday afternoon to go to work. He came home with some praise from his teacher for some good grades and he was in a good mood. Man his jaw dropped..he's excited. We may grab some clays and hit the range saturday after I get my running around done.

Of course pics will be following in a day or so.

8. vafish

vafish

May need to cut the stock a bit to fit him.

If you can't find a replacement stock to cut, I suggest you drill a couple of 1/4" holes in the stock before you cut the piece off. Save the piece and then you can use a 1/4" dowel and pin/glue the piece back on when he grows.