Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys for starting a new thread. I got lost lol. I have been having a 'Failure to Feed' issue. Brought it to a Gunsmith. Its a new Glock with less than 200 rounds down the pipe.
The Gunsmith Polished the feed plate excellently, but when I shot it this afternoon, same issue with either Mag. Have tried different brass ammos, just cant find the answer.
How can I show a pic on this thread. I have it saved to my desk top. Thanks

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Pics would help but the most common cause I've seen with new guns is the extractor is too tight and needs some wear to loosen up.

When a Glock feeds the bullet slides up the face of the slide behind the extractor claw. It has to push the claw out slightly. If there's a little extra coating on the parts it can cause enough resistance to make the feed fail.

Two choices if that's the problem:
1. Keep shooting, it will eventually wear itself in. Probably sometime between 300-400 rounds.
2. Take it apart and inspect the extractor. If you see some wear already starting it's an indication the part is tight and where it's rubbing. A little touch up with a fine grit sandpaper can hurry the process up.

FWIW - I've personally have never seen polishing a feed ramp accomplish anything.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Thanks for the update. Sorry for your troubles.

I'd call Glock to see if they'd pay for return shipping (probably not, but doesn't hurt to ask) then ship it back to Smyrna. Glock has gotten guns back to me within a week. I'm suspecting a weak/defective RSA (recoil spring assembly) but it could be something I just can't foresee just from reading this thread.

If I didn't have as many extra/replacement Glocks as I currently have, I'd buy another Glock in the same size (whether G19, G23, or G32) to have a gun to carry during that week or so without the original.

(Don't bother with that "gunsmith" ever again.)

·
Registered
130 Posts
A new Glock what. What is the failure to feed? What's a feed plate? Is it new or just new to you.

It's rather unusual for a Glock to leave the factory being unfunctional. I'm not the biggest Glock fan out there but the guns generally work right out of the box.

·
NRA Life Member
69,021 Posts
Sorry guys for starting a new thread. I got lost lol. I have been having a 'Failure to Feed' issue. Brought it to a Gunsmith. Its a new Glock with less than 200 rounds down the pipe.
The Gunsmith Polished the feed plate excellently, but when I shot it this afternoon, same issue with either Mag. Have tried different brass ammos, just cant find the answer.
How can I show a pic on this thread. I have it saved to my desk top. Thanks
Easily fixed - apply proper pistol shooting fundamentals:
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics-training/tactics_training_combatg_100306/

If you can't do that, get hotter ammo or a lighter recoil spring, to compensate for how much you are letting the gun move in recoil. If it's moving more than this guy, you're doing to wrong:
View: https://youtu.be/mRsaY-tRZHw

·
NRA Member
1,537 Posts
Have someone who knows Glock shoot it to see if you are limpwristing

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
FWIW - I've personally have never seen polishing a feed ramp accomplish anything.
Except voiding the warranty...

Thanks Guys
Can a weak Magazine spring cause this issue? One other thing would Glock even look at it since Ive had the feed plate polished?
Probably, but it’s going to be on your dime not their’s now. That’s why several of us recommended against letting a gunsmith screw around with a brand new gun.

Weak mag springs can cause FTF, but I’ve never seen it with a brand new Glock.

Have you had anyone else shoot it yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
622 Posts
It’s prolly going to be extractor related or RSA related.

As far as those who will tell you your grip is wrong, I’ve got an admittedly unpopular opinion on that. I believe if you’re holding your gun in any reasonable manner, and in a way that allows you to hit the target, the gun should not malfunction. If it does, it is not a suitable combat handgun for me, and I will not trust my life to it. To say that a Glock must be held in the “correct” way or else is prone to malfunction, is a pretty big criticism of Glock and an additional reason to pick up a Sig or Beretta. If my day has gone bad enough to the point that I’m depending on a pistol to save my life, I don’t want to add the variable of possibly having an incorrect grip to the mix.

I will add that my old 23 became prone to “limp-wrist” malfunctions after years of only replacing the RSA. At first I attributed it to my progressing arthritis in my left hand. Since I went through the entire gun and replaced all the other springs, it’s been 100%. Again, I’d bet you’ve got a spring or extractor a little out of spec. Send it to Glock with a complete explanation of the problem.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, which is extremely unusual for a new Glock, but anyway, if it wasn't limpwristing, it may have perhaps been a better idea to send it back to Glock.

Now that you have had someone work on it (polishing certain parts), that may void your warranty and you may lose the opportunity to have it properly fixed or replaced if there was a serious issue with it (rare, but it happens).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts