close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Update me on .45 ammo... Got a new pistol

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by eingeist, Feb 8, 2010.

1. eingeist

eingeist

Well I paid for a Springfield Operator used at the local shop..

But it's been nearly two years since I had a pistol. I had a Para Ordnance commander before, and I shot a match at IPSC with it. I want to get back into shooting that stuff. It was a whole lotta fun :wavey:

I think I need a new holster because the Operator has a rail on the dustcover. At least my kydex holster.. I'm pretty sure my leather one I can soak in water and re-work it a little bit to fit the railed frame.

Anyway, I'm "out of the loop" now so to speak. What's a good IPSC approved holster? Seems new ones are being made every week. I also want to find one of those velcro belts with the solid gunbelt. Don't remember where I saw those before.. I'm still using Wilson mags... Those seemed to be the best a couple years ago.. I'm assuming they're still good :supergrin:

Oh, I also have no idea where to get the cheapest .45 ammo now a days, nor what the price of ammo is going for... Seems to change weekly! Any ideas? I think I was paying 90 bucks for 300 rounds back then.. Hopefully it's gone *down*.

Oh, also, do I need to shoot jacketed ammo through the Operator? Wasn't too sure..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Seems like everyone like the kydex holsters nowadays. No one appreciates good leather like they used to.

3. eingeist

eingeist

Much more expensive to boot. :rofl:

4. The Habit

The Habit كافر

5. ilgunguygt

Leather isnt cheap, but it sure is nice. And it wears nice. It doesnt get worn out, it gets broke in. Also, I cant stand what those kydex holsters do to a decent finish. My leather holsters have always worn a smooth finish that looks like its been used. The kydex holsters I have used all put gnarly scratches on it that looks like its been abused.

6. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

It's been quite a few years since I shot USPSA/IPSC.

I used a Bianchi "Askins Avenger" with pretty good results.
    Fast. Secure.

As for a load, do you reload ammo???

I used a 200 gr Hardcast LSWC (clone of the H&G #68 mold) with Winchester 231 powder. It pushed the bullet at 908 fps, which at the time was 8 fps faster than minimum required to make 'Major'.
    I was getting the bullets for $23.00 per thousand, when buying 5,000 at a time.
    Not sure of the regs, now, but, that load out of both my Combat Commander and my Gold Cup was very accurate. No. . . incredibly accurate.

7. mdfd

mdfd

8. Wizz

Wizz

Tula/Wolf ammo (same thing) will be the cheapest...usually ~$170 shipped per 500 round brick if you Google for it. If your gun can't shoot it then you need a new gun.

I like leather holsters myself...most leather ones will be approved. Best of luck and enjoy.

9. eingeist

eingeist

What does it cost to get set up to reload?

10. Wizz

Wizz

It will cost a few hundred, but it pays for itself over time, gets cheaper the longer you do it as you save your own brass and cut costs elsewhere:

Press: ~$100 for single stage, ~$350+ progressive
    Dies: ~$40 set/caliber
    Scale: $60-100 (beam or digital)
    Tumbler: ~$40 (makes cleaning brass much quicker/easier)
    Powder: ~$20 lb
    Primers: ~$35 per 1000 after shipping and Hazmat fee if ordering in bulk.
    Misc: case prep tools if reloading knecked cartridges, case gauge to check finished ammo, calipers, bullets, brass, powder drop (if not included w/press).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  11. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

That really depends on how much you are willing to compromise. You can probably get a complete set-up made by LEE for about $200. For a better set-up, I would say go with a Dillon 550. If you are only going to load one caliber in pistol, I might even be willing to go down to a Dillon SDB set-up. I would estimate you can be rolling with an SDB set-up at about $400. $500 for the 550. The extra $100 for the 550 would be worth it in my opinion since you can use the 550 for rifle calibers if you choose to expand in the future.

Keep in mind, that is just equipment costs. Not any cases, bullets, primers, or powders. You may also a couple more options with some of the other brands, but I don't have any experience with any of those.

12. striker6126

striker6126

I have found that most of the "kydex wear " is actually dirt and grit . I have been cleaning my kydex holsters with armor all for a year or so and seems the wear is kept to a minimum.

13. eingeist

eingeist

I like kydex but just for IPSC... I wouldn't wear one around as a daily carry. :shrug:

I really should get a reloading setup... Is it something I can "store" in the closet or do I need to dedicate a space to do it and leave untouched?

14. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

My first reloading space was a closet!! (In an apartment!)
    I reinforced a shelf by doubling the thickness of the wooden shelf, and mounting an RCBS "RockChucker" to the shelves.

I've heard of guys using a "WorkMate" and folding it when not in use, and other ways to set up for loading.

An old friend (may he Rest In Peace) convinced his wife to let him C-Clamp his old Lee press to their coffee table!:wow:

Let your imagine go and get set-up for loading/reloading. It's a fun and relaxing way to produce some fantastic 'home grown' loads!

15. ilgunguygt

Some of it is, thats forsure.

16. eingeist

eingeist

Ok so the lee website shows multiple kits for less than $200. Anyone know what the disadvantage is? I'm assuming speed? I mean. How long does it take to reload? Can I do a few hundred rounds in an hour? I really know nothing about it. I bought a book called the abc's of reloading. Hopefully that will help me a bit.
    I am not sure of my disadvantages with the kits, brands, etc. I will only be doing pistol rounds though FYI.

17. den888

den888

.45 ACP is the hardest to get between 9mm/40 S&W/.45 ACP. Prices have gone up a lot also...

18. diamondmike

diamondmike

WalMart probably has the lowest price on 45acp white box.

As far as selfdefense goes you really dont even need a hollow point with that heavy of bullet.
    A heavy bullet like the 256gr will break bones

19. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

go to kempf gun shop and order his lee kit, its top notch, only thing youll need to add is a scale and a hand primer

20. eingeist

eingeist