Glock Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
60,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Property Rights exercised...
UPDATE: Jacksonville Marine veteran standing guard at center asked to leave
JACKSONVILLE, NC (WNCT) – A Jacksonville Marine veteran is no longer allowed to stand guard outside of the Armed Forces Recruiting Center in the city.

Jacksonville Police said Matthew Benack was within his constitutional right to stand in front of the center on Western Boulevard with a loaded weapon and that he had the right to be out there since the center is on private property and if the owners gave permission.

Benack said he was there in response to last week’s attacks at a Chattanooga, Tennessee center. The shooting left five service members dead.

Police said Benack could stay on the property as long as neighboring businesses and the property manager allowed him to be there. Police told Benack on Monday they heard he had permission.

On Tuesday, police said the property owner rescinded permission for Benack to be there, and asked him to leave. Coldwell Banker Commercial Sun Coast Partners is the property manager and represents the property owner.

Benack told WNCT he hopes the owner will reconsider.

Grayson Powell, with Coldwell Banker Commerical Sun Coast Partners, issued a statement.

Westwood Village Shopping Center is a proud supporter of the military and has been honored to have the Army Recruiting Center as one of our valued tenants here for more than a decade. We value the sacrifices our armed forces make for this country each day and hold all branches of the military in the highest esteem.​

We take the security of the recruiters in Westwood Village extremely seriously and are in communications with them about the best way to work together to ensure their safety and the safety of all of our tenants. Yet having an armed civilian who is not known to us, the recruiters or the police arrive to stand vigil in a busy shopping center has the potential to create an unsafe environment, and it is our responsibility to ensure both our tenants’ and customers’ safety.

As the property management firm for Westwood Village, we represent the interests of the owner. As such, we will continue to communicate on the owners’ behalf with the Army Recruiting Center and the Jacksonville Police Department on the best ways to ensure the safety and welfare of the recruiters and all of our tenants and customers.

Grayson Powell, Coldwell Banker Commercial Sun Coast Partners
Following that statement is the previous story about this location.​

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
Do any of the Marine veterans that were clerks show up unannounced to help with paperwork at the recruiting office? How about Marines that worked in the kitchen - do they show up unannounced and start preparing some meals to help out? I am sure his heart was in the right place but sometimes there may be a proper way to execute volunteer assistance.

Reactions: TBO

·
The Snowflakes have invaded GT
4,318 Posts
A poster on another thread pointed out that the guy standing around stupidly out front with a rifle will be the first target taken out by terrorist.

When deer hunting I don't stand around out in the open - I use a blind.

We need some old "Out of Service" phone booths with 2-way mirrors in place of the glass.
Then a guy can sit on a stool and read or listen to music while watching for Isis and no one, not the public, not the terrorist, and not even the guardees will be the wiser.

Other "Concealed Means Concealed" ideas
Telephone splice tents
A big empty transformer box at the top of a telephone pole.
Old PD stake-out vans.
Empty cardboard appliance boxes. Quick and easy to put in place in multiple locations. Just keep an eye out for the garbage truck.
Artificial shrubs.(a bunch of old artificial Christmas trees)
Camo suits. The Statue of Liberty Tax Lady, or animal suits. The horse costume holds 2 guards!

Have you ever noticed the clean-cut young DEA guy leaning on a mop at the airport watching the International passengers claim their luggage? I wonder what he has in that trash barrel on wheels...

I'm not trying to be funny here, well, maybe a little, but, if those guys are doing all that just to be seen I feel they are doing it for the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
434 Posts
if those guys are doing all that just to be seen I feel they are doing it for the wrong reasons.
Busted, you and bruce just don't understand Marines. Not your fault, sometimes Marines don't even understand Marines. I've been not active duty since 1990, but when I saw the news break on the Chatanooga shooting, I was ready to go to the recruiting office and try to get back on active duty to do whatever I could to protect my brothers, our bond is so strong, you simply cannot imagine. I understand what he is doing and why he is doing it, regardless of whether I agree with it.......................YMMV

Reactions: DesertEagle.45

·
USMC 8531
2,574 Posts
Busted, you and bruce just don't understand Marines. Not your fault, sometimes Marines don't even understand Marines. I've been not active duty since 1990, but when I saw the news break on the Chatanooga shooting, I was ready to go to the recruiting office and try to get back on active duty to do whatever I could to protect my brothers, our bond is so strong, you simply cannot imagine. I understand what he is doing and why he is doing it, regardless of whether I agree with it.......................YMMV
Hear hear

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Heck, if they'd rather get shot up by the thugs, then let them be. AND when it happens again and they ask for help just remind them that they refused when it was offered. The libs are doing everything they can to make Americans victims.

·
The Snowflakes have invaded GT
4,318 Posts
Busted, you and bruce just don't understand Marines. Not your fault, sometimes Marines don't even understand Marines. .....YMMV

Oh, I understand what you are saying...there is a strong tie between marines. I have relatives and friends that are marines, still.
Many of us have the same feelings, Please don't overlook that.

I would love to help protect my fellow vets, or our active military who aren't supposed to carry guns, and our children in school.

Especially our children in school!

After the school shootings the politicians came out with their tears, rants, threats, and promises but nothing has changed for the better.
I thought for sure there would be a program put in place to put armed retirees, veterans, moms, dads, and grandparents in our schools.
I'm a vet, a retiree, I've had a bit of firearms training and willing to take more, willing to pay for my own guard uniform and gun, willing to donate a day or two per week to ensure my grandsons survive their education.

But, standing around across the street with a rifle will not get it done.

It is obvious, the government at any level does not want our help.
And just as obvious, they are more afraid of us than the terrorist.

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
Busted, you and bruce just don't understand Marines. ... I was ready to go to the recruiting office and try to get back on active duty to do whatever I could to protect my brothers, .........................YMMV
Had you decided to get back to active duty you would have gone to the recruiting office by your own admission. You would not have just shown up at an embarkation point or flown over to a Marine base in the middle east and said "I am here - assign me to a squad." I think it is the same process here.

Reactions: MSW

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Heck, if they'd rather get shot up by the thugs, then let them be. AND when it happens again and they ask for help just remind them that they refused when it was offered. The libs are doing everything they can to make Americans victims.
I don't think it's quite that simple.
First, the property owners and manager might feel (or have) some liability if the person they allowed to guard the marines shoots an innocent person.
Second, nobody knows the mental health of the person guarding them. Does he have PTSD or other mental issues? Remember who shot Chris Kyle?
On face value, the marine offering his help is a great citizen, and we owe him our thanks, for his service if nothing else. But it is understandable why property owners and the recruiters should be weary.
I think it's great that people want to help, and are offering to do so. If the militias guarding the recruitment centers have licensed security guards, EMT's, and LEO's willing to offer their time and expertise it would be a lot more effective than having people show up with AR's and having AD's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.