Update G42 malfunction thread

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by LPD ret., Feb 16, 2020.

1. -JCN-

-JCN-

I had an issue with the G42 that was specific to just that gun. I was actually pushing UP on the slide stop with my strong thumb and causing the malfunctions.

Try shooting strong hand only or weak hand only.

Try removing the slide stop and shooting freestyle (for demonstration purposes).

2. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

All three of my G42s are reliable. Two early ones went back to Glock this year for the updated parts but were reliable before and after. The third I bought from a local GT forum member. He had reliability issues when it was new and sent it back to Glock. He said it was reliable after it returned from Glock and it has been reliable for me. I carry it as my EDC.

snowbird.40 and halfmoonclip like this.

3. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Glock perfection again....

Thats why i carry shields and 1911's.

4. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

My 42 has been 100% reliable for years, but our two 9mm Shields have not been. I had to get third party RSAs for them because Smith had them on "backorder" and was not maintaining a waiting list. I think it was a secret recall. I've never had a Glock go bad and I have well over a dozen.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  5. LPD ret.

LPD ret.

Well, I did not send the gun back to Glock. For those that suggested trying different ammo, you were right. I ran a box of Sig Sauer 100 gr FMJ and some 88 gr HP commercial reloads I had in the cabinet through the gun, about 150 rounds total. No failures of any kind. My buddy lent me his G42 that I fired before - and inspired me to buy mine - and had equal results with the same ammo. I even ran a couple of his Pearce +1 mags through mine with no issues.

Then, I opened a fresh box of Winchester white box 95 gr FMJ and proceeded to have stove pipe jams and failure to extract in both guns. About 4 total in 100 rounds. The guns do not like that ammo. This is the same crap I had my earlier problems with.

I'll feel more confident after I put another couple hundred trouble free rounds through it. Ordered 200 rounds of Federal HST 99 gr. HP for carry - I'll put 150 through it first to test function.

I was ready to send this thing down the road and I appreciate the suggestions. When the gun works it is great fun to shoot.

6. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

You’re a smart man for carrying a Shield and a 1911.

This way when they both go turds up on you, you’ll have two objects to hurl at the perps vs just one!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    CC Glock and Madd Trapper like this.
  7. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

There is a bug thread rolling around and I am one of the minority who carry one, All guns are mechanical and yes I have had malfunction training and practice, but a New York reload seems as good as fixing my regular gun, for a moment anyway. I have many makes and models of potential carry guns, Shields and 1911's among them. I don't carry them but I would not be afraid to.

8. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

I do not have chrono data for the Winchester white box (WWB) out of a Glock 42, but I do have WWB data out of a S&W Shield .380 EZ, which generally runs about 50 fps faster than the Glock 42 because of the longer barrel. The WWB out of the EZ clocked 863, compared to Remington UMC 95 grain ball that clocked 913 out of the EZ and 872 out of a Glock 42. I would expect the WWB out of the Glock 42 to be running around 820 or less. WWB is weak ammo. Most top-shelf .380 defense ammo in 90-100 grains runs over 900 fps out of my Glock 42. I suspect that WWB would run OK after the gun is well broken in.

P.S. I got an average of 930 fps from the 99 grain HST out of the 42.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Pandaz3 and LPD ret. like this.
  9. LPD ret.

LPD ret.

MedicineBow, thanks for the crono data. Some of the WWB had a weak report simultaneous with a failure. Very inconsistent.

snowbird.40 and MedicineBow like this.
  10. LPD ret.

LPD ret.

Last update on my G42 thread. Now I have a total of around 150 rounds of Federal HST 99gr. HP through the gun without a single failure of any kind. I installed Pearce +1 extensions on two of my mags and they have also run flawlessly. Put another 150 rounds of some unknown (had them in the cabinet for years -can't remember where I got them) 88 gr HP commercial reloads through without failure.

11. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

So, did you or Glock find out what was causing all the malfunctions you were experiencing earlier?

12. Huntsman247

Huntsman247

13. Huntsman247

Huntsman247

I recently had the same issues with my previously " perfect" G42. Noticed the ejection pattern was very weak as well. Long story short; switched to hotter ammo. All is well again.

snowbird.40 and LPD ret. like this.
  14. James Dean

James Dean

Its a shame that for some they have no luck with the G42. IMO its one of Glocks best. Low recoil easy CC and comfortable to shoot. My G42 is a very early one. Luckily I've never sent it back for any problems.

15. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

Mine was one of the bad ones, a trip back to the mothership and 4000 total rounds before I finally gave up on it. Mine had a build date of 9/2016, even though I bought it brand new in February, 2018. I would consider another one, but I would definitely check the build date to make sure I was getting one of the latest.

The LCP II that I replaced it with is rock solid and just as accurate, but it sure is a lot less pleasant to shoot.

snowbird.40 and LPD ret. like this.
  16. LPD ret.

LPD ret.

Marginal ammo, like the WWB, seems to be the culprit. Had malfunctions in a friend's G42 side by side between both guns and shooters with that stuff. The premium stuff, like Fed HST or Speer GD, works flawlessly.

GlockyQ and snowbird.40 like this.
  17. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Is the WWB the truncated cone ammo (blunt nose)? We had some for the Club's training class, and it worked okay, but our guns had some rounds thru' them. There are very few things a 42 won't eat, but apparently the WWB is one of them.
    LPD, glad you're fixed!
    Moon

18. Delleetodd

Delleetodd

The failures you describe are from the slide short stroking. Some things that can cause this are.

Loose grip
    Weak ammo
    Strong recoil spring
    Riding slide with thumb

Anything that would cause slide to lose velocity.

19. Mr. Pick

Mr. Pick

Only malfunction I ever had with my 42 was first time out with it and I had some old (11 or 12 years) Sellier & Bellot ball ammo that it did not like it. Couldn't get through a whole magazine without a stovepipe or FTE. Everything else I've ever put in it has run fine.

20. tenntornado

tenntornado

My G42 will not feed wwb flat nose at all.
    Dosnt like xtp bullets either.
    Early 2014 gun all of the updated parts.