close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Update: Deputy home thanks for prayers.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Mayhem like Me, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Posted: 4:34 pm EST February 2, 2010
    Updated: 6:11 pm EST February 2, 2010

SPALDING COUNTY, Ga. -- A sheriff’s deputy survived a bullet to the face and Channel 2 Action News was there Tuesday for his remarkable release from the hospital.

In an exclusive interview, the deputy talked about his brush with death and what’s next for his recovery and career.

Just days after a bullet pierced his head, Deputy Joe Buice of the Spalding County Sheriff’s Office was back at home recovering Tuesday.

"That's the first time I've ever been shot and I hope it's the last," said Buice.

Buice believes a good sense of humor and a lot of prayers helped get him through his ordeal.

"I want to thank the people who have prayed for me. I firmly believe the reason I'm alive today is because of the prayers," said Buice.

Buice was released from Grady Memorial Hospital Tuesday -- four days after deputies said he was shot in the face by Michael Stringer. Buice went to Stringer’s home on an attempted suicide call.

"He had two guns. He came out of the door shooting with two guns. And I looked up one time, I raised up enough to see him and I said let's go to the back of the car, let's retreat," said Buice.

Buice and another deputy took refuge behind a patrol car, but the car was no match for a high-powered assault round.

"And I was on my hands and knees and the next thing I knew I was flat on my face. And I knew there was a stinging there and I knew something had happened," said Buice.

The bullet tore through his face and lodged in his neck. It’s still there because doctors were afraid to take it out.

Other deputies shot and killed Stringer. Officials said they believe Stringer purposely goaded officers to kill him, sometimes called suicide by cop.

Buice said he will recover and go back out on the streets as a deputy, even if his wife really doesn’t want him to.

Elliot asked Buice if his wife wanted him to stay in law enforcement. "Not really. But she knows that's where my heart is," said Buice.

Stringer also shot at a man in a truck. Investigators initially thought that victim was shot, but he only suffered minor injuries from flying glass.

Police later found more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition in Stringer's house and more than a dozen guns.

Copyright 2010 by WSBTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

He was awesome on his interview, said he he can't wait to get back to work and that the feeling is coming back in his face....

He was also very thankfull for the prayers

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. Bushido5150

Bushido5150

Awesome!! glad to hear he has recovered so well!!

3. p.d.

p.d.

Thank You, Lord! :angel:

4. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Awesome.

I hope his wife is more supportive than the article makes her sound.

5. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Look at it from her prospective???

Had to rush to my crying daughter in school a few weeks ago cause a kid in her class asked her if she was scared I would get shot.....She had never thought about it but the pestering had her very concerned and finally she snapped.

Not a thing the family wants to think about.

6. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

Glad to hear he's healing! :thumbsup:

7. ray9898

ray9898

Great story....