close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Unusual occurrence

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Aug 2, 2006.

1. pascal

pascal

I am noticing an inability to get on all the download sites that I have used in the past since I hooked up to DSL. Is this normal or am I normally missing something?
    pascal

2. corpseal

corpseal

You probably need to reboot your dsl modem, and router (if you have one, and you should to take advantage of the builtin hardware firewall on most). While the computer is on, unplug the power to your modem, and then unplug power to the router. Turn off the computer. Then plugin power to the modem, and give it a minute or so til you get a connected signal (solid light)on your indicator light. Then plug in your router, wait about a minute, and start your computer. Ignore the above relative to the router if you do not have one. Good luck.:)

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Some ISP's block certain ports as a protective measure.

Their TOS should have a list if this is the case.

4. pascal

pascal

Hello corpseal and fastvfr,
    I will try the power down on the modem and router. The symptoms so far are the page begins to load and locks up. Several times I've shutdown IE and tried again, couple of times the computer rebooted.
    Pleading ignorance I must ask what is a TOS?
    I've also noticed on several faults that Windows/Microsoft pops up an error screen (especially after the fault/reboot) and indicates that the BIOS is out of date. This is a new computer, what needs to be done?
    pascal

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Sorry...that stands for Terms Of Service.

Well, on the subject of BIOS upgrading; it depends.

Is the message appearing during the POST (Power On Self Test) or within Windows?

Is the machine branded (Sony, Dell, eMachine)? If som there may be some proprietary issues with the BIOS and you'd be in trouble if you swapped their files out for a generic set meant for a similar, but different, board.

If it's a whitebox PC, things becaome a whole lot easier, as the MOBO maker or the BIOS manufacturer will have the updated files available. Flashing the BIOS is usually easier on 'real' machines, too.

Best regards,

Eric

6. pascal

pascal

The message occurs when there is a fault and I get shunted to Microsoft page. Also the unit is an Acer.
    pascal

7. pascal

pascal

Follow-Up,
    Got my W2K hooked up to the router and I can access those download sites with no problem on it using Firefox. Does this make sense?
    pascal

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Are they FTP servers?Some firewalls(Norton for one) and maybe some settings block them.

9. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

i've seen some spyware do it.

try the addresses with and without the "wwww" prefix.

also "I've also noticed on several faults that Windows/Microsoft pops up an error screen (especially after the fault/reboot) and indicates that the BIOS is out of date."

that's just weird. try scanning for viruses / spyware in safe mode.

10. pascal

pascal

I've been using ZoneAlarm. I dumped it and now I can access those sites, it also occured on several non-download sites like foodnetwork. I'll try reinstalling Zone and see what happens.
    I am concerned about those Microsoft warnings, have to talk to Compusa. Will try the scans in SafeMode, thanks.
    pascal

11. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

Who is your provider?

12. pascal

pascal

Howdy GlocknSpiehl,
    It's Bellsouth. I haven't put Zone back on but with the Windows firewall and the router's the security test site indicated that I was still Stealth on all ports. Hope that's good for now.
    pascal

13. pascal

pascal

Update:
    Reinstalled Zonealarm and those sites failed to load as before. Using Avast and read somewhere that it and Zonealarm don't play well together. Could that be an issue?
    pascal

14. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

It either switches off a feature of Avast or a feature of Zone Alarm.I think it's an Avast feature that's lost as I don't think it can do much to Zone Alarm.What sort of "download sites"?Are they FTP's?I had that problem with Norton firewall but not Zone Alarm.Some people like the old version of Sygate

http://filehippo.com/download_sygate_personal_firewall/

but it's becoming dated.For least trouble with Zone Alarm this older version rarely causes trouble but also isn't up to date

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1023_zl/zlsSetup_45_594_000.exe

If you use this version,switch off the check for updates in Zone Alarm.

The newest version of Zone Alarm might help if that's not the one you're using

http://filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

15. pascal

pascal

Hello WDC,
    No the sites are http. I was using the latest free Zonealarm. I'd definitely like to have other than the Windows firewall running. Thanks for the sites! Is the Sygate good?
    pascal

16. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Sygate is a bit dated.It has more settings.It takes bit more setting up.You can change more things in it.Some people with wireless internet sometimes have better luck getting a connection with Sygate.

Here is an up ro date firewall I know little about but gets updates and seems good.

Comodo Personal Firewall

http://majorgeeks.com/Comodo_Personal_Firewall_d5033.html

17. pascal

pascal

Thanks WDC,
    Using Comodo now. Tried a few security test sites and so far stealthed everything. Also they have backup program, spam and others for free. Maybe I can get that backup to write to my dvd??!!?!?!!??
    pascal

18. pascal

pascal

Another Update:
    Comodo running strong, don't particularly care for the Comodo Launch Pad. The backup program is IMO basic but it erases and writes to my CD/DVD drive (so far). Thanks again for the direction WDC!
    pascal