Unsupported chamber?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Id02, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Id02

Id02

I have heard it said that Glocks have an "unsupported chamber". What exactly does it mean if true?

William_13 likes this.
  2. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Not true, so no need to go any further.

3. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

It's really a non issue. If you plan to reload and then make some really crazy powerful rounds you can research more and learn it's not a huge issue... if your not doing those things then it's even less interesting.

4. Big Kohle

Big Kohle

While the term " unsupported chamber " is misleading. It is true that Glocks don't offer as much support as other makers. Many feel this enhances reliability. Also, it can be a safety factor if you fire a round that is SUPER CHARGED as it channels the pressure downward toward the magazine well. Search Glock " kaboom " and " unsupported chamber " you will find interesting facts.

Id02 likes this.
  5. Terlingueno

Terlingueno

Troll

6. MajorD

MajorD

Basically if you shoot a round over the recommended loading level (overcharged handloads) there is a risk only marginally greater of gun damage in a glock than possibly something else, but if you are using loads that hot you are wrong to begin with, and I suspect a head to head comparison with another type of pistol shooting similarly inappropriate ammo would cause damage to the. As well. Bottom line never exceed a reloading manuals max load for a given caliber and you will never run into trouble. Been reloading myself for decades and my wisdom is to load hot enough to attain the needed power factor for a given Application and ensure reliability and never more. If you find your self needing to run near max or hotter loads for a given application then the smart answer is to change to a heavier caliber. ALL auto pistols have to have a degree of unsupported area to allow reliable feeding there is no such thing as a fully supported auto pistol chamber

7. Id02

Id02

This forum seems to have a contingent of arrogant *******s. I asked an honest question, what is your problem?

8. Id02

Id02

Thank You.

Big Kohle likes this.
  9. Id02

Id02

I don't reload for 9MM...yet. I do not load "hot loads" for anything I do load for. I was just curious about the term as I have heard it said of Glocks.

Big Kohle likes this.
  10. First shot

First shot

There's really only a few, so once you figure out who they are, there's an ignore mode. Personally, I enjoy them, just don't get caught up in the BS. Sounds like you got your answer. Good luck.

11. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Glocks 9mm and 357 SIG chambers and feed ramps are some of the tightest in the production category. So much for "facts".

It is true that Glocks straight walled calibers (380, 40 and 45 ACP) have more generous chamber dimensions, they do that for feed reliability and it isn't like the Gloxk engineers don't own calculators, they understand exactly what they are doing and know exactly how much larger to make them without compromising safety.

Glock did produce some early 40S&W chambers that lacked sufficient case head support to have sufficient margins. In addition, early 40S&W ammo had normal webs which when combined with the early Glock 40 chambers, left insufficient margin for error (loading errors). Glock fixed that dimension in their 40 guns and ammo manufacturers made their 40 case heads much thicker, a double fix.

Now, that still does stop people who overload their reloads or get insufficient neck tension on their loads to preclude severe bullet set back from feed operations, resulting in kabooma and guess what? They blame Glocks lack of chamber support! Surprise, surprise.

Now you have all the "facts".

12. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

All semi auto pistols have some ramp in the barrel, some more than others. The only Glock that has the least ramp is chambered for the 357SIG because it's a bottleneck. It's just the way they work. Here is the chamber of a 9mm JRC carbine, looks like allot of the brass is sticking out, doesn't it? Yes, it is, and I run 125 grs at over 1,550 fps out of that gun with no issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

It means every once in a while I pick up some range brass that won't resize even with my full body weight on the press handle.

14. rjr573

rjr573 The Prop Doctor

This is a great comparison !! Thanks for posting it.

krankase and First shot like this.
  15. Mark2Glock

Mark2Glock Redneck Handyman

Obviously glocks has a lot more visually case head showing stick out so that answer is yes but it doesn't mean it any worse then others. Just don't reload the brass shot in the glocks as their case life is going to be much shorter.

Big Kohle likes this.
  16. Jump Boot

Jump Boot

That's why I bought an aftermarket Alpha Wolf barrel from Lone Wolf that gives much more support in the 6 o'clock position on my G21,so that I can shoot my reloads and feel more comfortable with less chance of weakening the case head area by constantly resizing over the bulge.Never had to worry about it with any of my 1911's.

Mark2Glock likes this.
  17. William_13

William_13

A few years ago (so it feels) my age group received the first 'new math' introduction in Canada. I asked, "why do we do carry the number over there?" Teachers Answer: "Because". What did I learn by asking a question? Zilch. My conclusion? The teacher had no idea either.

18. Firecop203

Firecop203

Early Gen-2 Glock 22's had problems with unsupported chambers. Glock redesigned the barrel and the frame and things have been a lot better since.

For the reloaders out there, I recommend an EGW undersize sizing die. It will remove the infamous "Glock bulge" and life can go on as normal.

Lt. Donn and Tennglockgolfer like this.
  19. Mike-M

Mike-M

That's lazy and inaccurate terminology. The chambers of all pistols are supported. Cartridge case support **by** the chamber, or lack thereof, is the issue. The support that the chamber gives to the cartridge case varies significantly between pistol barrel makers and different caliber barrels from the same maker. "Chamber cartridge case support" is the accurate term, not "chamber support" which leads to the ridiculous and non-existent concept of "unsupported chamber".

In the world of Glock OEM barrels, the historically worst cartridge case support came from .40SW barrels before about 20 years ago. The best comes from .357SIG barrels, which provide full case support (and tight chambers) even above the feed ramp. That's made possible due to inherently superior feed characteristics of the bottleneck case.

The easiest visual check for full case support is the chamber wall extending down to the top of the cartridge case extraction groove, especially at the feed ramp. But that actually exceeds the minimum requirement that the chamber wall extends to the bottom of the case's INSIDE. The inside bottom of the case is usually about 0.05-inch above the extraction groove outside. Case surface less than about 0.05 inch above the extraction groove may be exposed witbout loss of full chamber support of all radially-pressurized case surfaces.

It is not unusual to see external case surface above the inside bottom of the case remaining unsupported at the feed ramp, especially for large straight-wall calibers. In those cases, reliance is placed on thicker case walls near the bottom of the case and the use of proper loadings of good-quality cases to prevent case blowout above the feed ramp.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  20. Jump Boot

Jump Boot

Lee has such a push through sizing die to remove the bulge also but,to what end? Certainly by constantly sizing over the bulge through continued resizing,I would think the the case head would eventually weaken to an unsafe point.

Mark2Glock likes this.