Unstoked About Winchester White Box Ammo

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by LilWolfess, Feb 14, 2010.

1. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

First time I've seen it.

I buy and use a lot of WWB.

No problems so far, except for availability.

I've had a couple of split casings using Blazer, none with Winchester.

I still will buy Blazer, however.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

That does look bad.

Glad I've never bought a box of WWB.

3. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt TruLite Plant Manager

PM me if interested in selling the 380 you have..............

4. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

the problem is obviously borderline cases, but without a close technical exam it'd be difficult to guess precisely what deficiency produced that symptom. Overly brittle is an easy guess, but a bad batch of alloy, work hardening, a sizing machine with an out of spec die? A box can certainly evade even decent Quality Control, and if you'ld like to do all the rest of us a favor, get in communication with Winchester and see if you can get some light on this issue. I'd think it was a pita too, but ONCE I might actually pick up the phone and write an email and offer to send em the cracked brass & lot #.

It'd be nice of ya.

5. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

100% is pretty tough QC for any company to achieve. In just about every industry, when demand goes crazy, quality control goes down. Since I reload mostly everything I shoot, and the brass get inspected and cleaned as "Step 1", I've never experienced a crack that bad. But, "dang", now I'll have to inspect all the factory ammo in the vault and I have about 500 rds of WW White Box!

6. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

It doesn't say "Made In China" on the box by chance. Seriously, Winchester is my favorite for reloading too, and I've not experienced that with new ammo. Like others suggested maybe it was out in the cold to long before you fired it.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Interesting info,......I've shot thousahds of rounds of WWB.
    I've never had any issues with Winchester in 9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP or 38 Spec

8. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

I can rule out the cold as being a sole factor, though I can see the logic behind that idea. In yesterday's brief escapade, the gun and ammunition wasn't even outside for a full minute. We went over basic safety and operation before going outside.

Also, I first noticed the case splitting deal during the summer (yes folks, we do get warm days where the temps do go above 70 degrees!), especially since that's when I'm able to find the most brass after shooting. It's kinda hard to find all the shells after/because they melt down through the snow.

I'll see if I can't get a hold of someone who could put some answers in front of me. Thus far, I am seeing a mostly 50-50 response of either "it's junk ammo" or "never had a problem in thousands of rounds." Pretty interesting stuff! Performancwise, I've only experienced two FTFs, which did go off after being put through a second time (once in my guy's Glock 33, and once in the dad's Taurus 709).

01coltcolt, the Sig isn't for sale! I am pretty stoked about it, and how nicely it fits in my tiny paws.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  9. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

I have shot thousands of rounds of WWB. I bet I have had a problem... but I can't remember it.

In other words, no issues at all with WWB.

10. AA#5

AA#5

I've seen damaged cases in brand new Winchester ammo lately. I've sent Winchester some of them after pulling the bullets. They did send me refunds but I don't have much confidence in their ammo for serious purposes - only plinking. Maybe they are outsourcing their brass production.

11. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

LilWolfess, it is probably unrelated to your problem, but I wanted to make sure you had heard about the recall/"upgrade" for your SIG P238.

http://www.sigsauer.com/customerservice/p238upgrade.aspx

Dear SIG SAUER Customer:

SIG SAUER, Inc. has initiated a Mandatory Safety Upgrade pertaining to our new Model P238™ pistols. We have determined that a small number of P238 pistols may have safety levers that are not manufactured to factory specifications. Under certain conditions, it may be possible for the lever not to be completely engaged in the safe position. In this condition, the gun will not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, when the safety lever is moved to the off position, the hammer may fall, with the remote possibility that the gun could fire unintentionally, thus creating a risk of injury or death.

There have been no reports of any injuries or mishaps; however, in accordance with SIG SAUER, Inc.’s commitment to provide customers with the highest quality products and services, we are issuing a P238 Mandatory Safety Upgrade, to return the identified product to factory specifications. Upon receipt of the firearm, SIG SAUER will, at no cost to the owner, eliminate the risk identified above by replacing the subject part and performing functional upgrades that have been incorporated into the P238, subsequent to its introduction. SIG SAUER will return the firearm, pre-paid, to the owner as quickly as possible.

If you have a SIG SAUER P238 with a serial number between DA000501 and DA003216, please cease use of the firearm immediately. Not all P238s within the identified serial number range are affected; therefore, it is imperative that you contact us via the UPGRADE HOT LINE at 1 (866) 446-1914. An operator will take your information and confirm if your firearm is required to be returned for Upgrading. If necessary, you will receive a certified package from SIG SAUER that will contain a UPS shipping return label, a Return Merchandise Authorization Number, and a box to return the firearm. Simply affix the provided UPS shipping label to the supplied box (completely covering the existing shipping label) and bring the box to a designated UPS drop-off location. Please be certain to include the magazine along with the original SIG SAUER blue gun box. If you have questions or would like further information, you may contact SIG SAUER CUSTOMER SERVICE at 603-772-2302 (Choose Option # 3).

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your immediate cooperation in the return of your P238 handgun.

Sincerely,

SIG SAUER, Inc.

12. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

DJ Niner, my serial number doesn't fall within that range, I had them check it before the purchase was made - I'm good to go! Thanks for the heads up though!

13. mboylan

mboylan

I also like WWB for reloading. However, I have seen several deformed cases in the last 18 months.

14. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Lately I've been having some problems with it myself. More with the .45. Had a couple of boxes that were so weak they wouldn't cycle the slide on my guns. Winchester replaced the bad ammo but I was a bit shocked at getting bad ammo from them. I won't stop using it but it doesn't surprise me to hear about problems with it anymore.

15. HiVelSword

HiVelSword Sweetn the ride

Never liked the stuff anyway. PMC has always offered better accuracy for me.

A friend had a USP .40 Compact. Was tired of it's "lackluster" accuracy. I bought him a couple of boxes of PMC .40 and the difference was night and day.

The only stuff I stay away from is WWB, Wolf and UMC.

16. CU4X4N

CU4X4N 5th of November

I don't shoot WWB because it is much dirtier and more expensive than the Blazer Brass I get from WW.

17. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

How about these casings and the barrel of my KT-P3AT. I thought I had a jam and was a little more than surprised to see what really happened. I posted this last year (or the year before) here on GT.
    KT fixed everything at no cost. I should have sent the casings and box back to Winchester but didn't save everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Never had any issues with WWB, but I have had alot of problems with Remington UMC their quality control is horrible lately with alot of setbacks and non crimps, some rounds I could pull the bullet right out without effort. No more UMC for me.

19. redstar

redstar Live to shoot

I have had the same experience with RP and UMC. Around Christmas I was at the range and went to load my 9mm with RP, and as I inserted the round into the mag, and the bullet disappeared. I pulled the round out to see the bullet went 1/2 way into the casing. Nice crimp guys!

20. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

More like bad brass. Neck tension holds the bullet in place from setback. I have seen lots of RP brass that way. I wont even reload it. WWB is my personal favorite though, as its plentiful and generally withstands many reloadings.