Unstoked About Winchester White Box Ammo

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by LilWolfess, Feb 14, 2010.

1. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

Anyone else getting these results?? Today, I stepped outside my door to let my older sister try her hand at shooting my Sig P238. I picked up a couple casings from the ground, and noticed roughly a half inch split in the casing.

This isn't the first time that I've seen this, and it isn't limited to any one caliber. So far, I've seen some ugly flaws right out of the box, from multiple state purchases. One box of 9mm from SD had a 1/4 split in the casing, with the lip folded under (no pics just yet - sorry!). If I hadn't been watching carefully when loading my magazine, I wouldn't have noticed, and might have had a kinda ugly surprise when that round fired.

I figured most of it would be okay so long as I gave a quick peek at each round I loaded up. The numerous splits and casing damages have me seriously doubting the quality of this company.

I would say as many as 1 in every 100 rounds do this (Glock 33, Glock 26, Taurus 709, Sig P238).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No apparant bulging...

[​IMG]

2. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

Wow... Never seen any that bad.

I pretty much gave up on WWB - my little stockpile has just about everything but.

3. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I've seen a few really crappy rounds from the WWB stuff lately. I still use it, but I look at every single round before putting in my magazine. I think they're trying to kick it out so fat that QC has taken a hit.

4. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Dang. I've loaded some .45acp brass so many times I can't read the headstamp anymore, but none split like that. :wow:

I've seen it in rifle rounds before, but in .380?

5. malleable

malleable

I've fired thousands of rounds of WWB and never had a problem.

6. Brucev

Brucev

I've had brass split before in just about any caliber one can imagine. The splits have always been the result of brass workhardened by the process of resizing for reloading. Your fired casing looks like some of those splits I've seen. You might want to contact WW and see if there is a warning on that lot number. HTH. Sincerely. Brucev.

7. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

8. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

Same here.

9. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

I reload a alot, and see a lot of split cases. I dont see anymore winchester brass cracking than any other. 1 in 100 splitting is probably pretty high, but i would believe it if they said that it was 1 in 500 all the time. Many times, if you arent a reloader, you just dont see it. Lots of times I will be cleaning and resizing 1x fired brass(I'm sure it is too, because I know the range owner personally, he buys it, shoots it, and gives it to me) I will come across a cracked piece of brass. In 45acp or 38 special you wont see it alot of the time until you resize or until you seat a bullet, then the crack will appear, but it was there since the last firing usually. When it happens to a higher pressure cartridge, like a 40 or a 9mm, you get the instant crack like that.

10. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Never had a case split that bad, not even in magnum reloads that have been through the gun a few times. I have been keeping an eye out for WWB in .45 and haven't seen any. Makes me sort of glad.

I always prefered Winchester brass for reloading in the past, but I don't know if WWB is real Winchester ammo or subed out.

I know where I work we are having problems getting quality metal, and a friend in a completely different industry (strip vs cold drawn) says they have tens of thousands of pounds of junk stainless steel sitting waiting to go back to the mill for quality issues. You have to wonder.

11. DoubleDog

DoubleDog Grrrrr.....

Never had a problem with WWB...Shoot lots of it...

DD~

12. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

I wonder if they have gone a little more lax due to huge increase in demand over the past year.

13. 21 shooter

21 shooter

I think you are right. If people are buying anything you ship out, no reason to worry about QC. I have had a few dud rounds of USA brand, and for the same reason, prefer Federal primers over WW.

14. redstar

redstar Live to shoot

I usually don't have problems with WWB, but t should be asked where was the ammo kept before you shot it. This sounds silly, but same thing happened to me with an old box of RP (don't criticize, it was free). I shot it one day and brass was OK - (I donate to my neighbor, but keep Win and federal to reload), and next day I had 12 cracked shells in 30 shots. I have heard that when brass is cold (like in garage), or kept next to certain cleaning chemicals (vapor), it makes it brittle. I experimented with cold fire, and took brass straight from 30 degree garage and fired it - 4 cracked cases in 13 rounds. Same ammo after 2 hours inside I had no cracked case.
    I understand that brass can become brittle if in contact with ammonia or vinegar vapor, but I haven't verified this.

15. mikeyU

mikeyU

WWB, never had a problem except crappy accuracy, and real dirty guns. I try not to buy that junk, I prefer Remington UMC for range use. Thats pretty bad, more reason to stay away.....

16. Brucev

Brucev

WWB .40 S&W 165gr. FMJ load has given good results for me in a G-22. I do not notice that it is particularly dirty/sooty. Accuracy is at least equivalent and in some cases better than results obtained using other similar quality practice ammo. In my S&W 625-2 accuracy has been extremely good firing the 230 gr. FMJ ball load. Powder residue is not better or worse than experienced with other loads. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

17. 82ndVet

82ndVet

If you want a good quality, accurate target load, you pay more and get Corbon Match...period.:yawn:

18. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

Stored, inside my house in a dry location, bought no longer than 2 months ago.

This has happened with several calibers as mentioned before, including .357 Sig, 9mm, and .380...never had it happen in a rifle round.

19. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

This is a good idea.

20. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

I have shot thousands of WWB in the last year and have never had any problems at all. I keep my brass as well, so I would know if any have spit or shown any problems. Hope this isnt a sign of things to come with the WWB, because my Walmart sells the 100 round value pack for $21.49 (hard to beat that price)