close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Unstoked about Herter's ammo too.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by LilWolfess, Mar 1, 2010.

1. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

Hit up the local Cabelas and to my shock and awe, found some cheap .380 ammo there by the name of Herter's (Gosh I hope I'm spelling that right).

The bulk price had it at 149.99 for 500 Rounds (15 bucks a box compared to 19 bucks a box non bulk price for WWB and Remington green box).

Feeling pretty stoked, and slightly curious, I had a looksee inside one of the non bulk boxes to see what this new stuff was all about. I don't mind purchasing steel cased stuff since I don't have the funds or means to reload/start reloading.

I picked out one cartridge and eyeballed it over a couple times. Something looked kinda odd. Upon re-eyballing, I became very hesitant about the future purchase. Figuring it might be a fluke, I pulled out a few more rounds and looked them over too (this caused Cabela's associate number 2 or 3 to get fairly antsy about my handling things, but I gave him a "stop hovering, I'm not a theif and would be glad to prove it" stare). After checking one or two more boxes, I deemed it not purchaseable.

I hope I never have to buy this stuff:

1 - Every last bullet was seated crookedly enough that I could see it.
    2 - Rolling it along the shelf only further served to prove this.
    3 - Because the bullet was seated so crookedly, it left a ridge that extends at least halfway around the casing from the bottom of the bullet.

I really doubt this stuff would feed/extract reliably with how much that ridge stuck out, and how crooked the bullet is. I will not straight out diss this company yet, as I haven't put any through my gun, but I would highly recommend that anyone looking to purchase this stuff at least give it a look over before you buy.

Think I'll stick to Blazer myself.

2. mteagle1

mteagle1

Someone dug up an old american mail order name for stuff made in Russia.

3. KILLERtj

KILLERtj F.I.B.

What mteagle1 said is correct.

Herter's was a mail-order store back in the 50's and 60's. The company went belly up in the 70's after trying to jump from mail-order to retail store fronts. Seems Cabelas has picked up distributing rights to this Russian "Herters" ammo.

I have shot the Herters 7.62x39 ammo and it is good for plinking.

KILLERtj

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010